Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Expiration Dates on Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It gets green and fuzzy.
    Sour cream can last long enough to get green and fuzzy? Not in my house. If it is there I will use it.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I don't think it is an expiration date. It is usually "sell by date" or "best used before" date.

Comment

Source: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Food_-_use-by_and_best-before_dates

Manufacturers usually choose a best-before date well before the time when the food would be expected to deteriorate and spoil. A conservative best-before date is designed to encourage you to eat the product while it is fresh and at its best, so you should consider best-before dates as a guide only. Frozen and canned products, in particular, tend to keep their quality for some time after the best-before date.

Within reason, provided the food looks and smells as you would expect, it should be safe to eat, even if the best-before date has passed.

© Copyright Original Source

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I have had yogurt and milk and cream last well beyond the best before date.

I have also had those items go badly bad well before the best before date.

And I am cautious with some things. Like deli meats and stuff.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            I have had yogurt and milk and cream last well beyond the best before date.

I have also had those items go badly bad well before the best before date.

And I am cautious with some things. Like deli meats and stuff.
            I drank some eggnog in July that was dated January 10.

Of course I froze it just after New Years Day.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I just ate a hot dog, the bun of which was "expired" on July 22. I just tore off the end with the mold on it, and it was fine.
              Moderated By: some anonymous mod

Oops

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 08-30-2014, 11:28 AM.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just ate a hot dog, the bun of which was "expired" on July 22. I just tore off the end with the mold on it, and it was fine.
                That was what my grandmother always did. Of course she raised a family during the Great Depression

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Moderated By: some anonymous mod

Oops

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                  Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Did some anonymous mod just pull a CP?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did some anonymous mod just pull a CP?
                    The rascal

Rumor has it they did it again

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The rascal

Rumor has it they did it again
                      Yuh!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        When we were over visiting my grandmother (dad's side) once, my mom noticed that there was some sour cream in the fridge that had expired a year or two ago. My mom pointed this out, only to be told that it had been used in whatever we had the previous night. And that it being that old only makes it better!
                        Once, when my family was visiting my father's stepmother, we were served parmesan cheese that had expired something like 20 (twenty) years prior. It had formed one solid mass in the canister and we couldn't get it out, and then someone pointed out that parmesan hadn't come in cardboard canisters in quite some time and they were all plastic now. That's when we looked at the date on the bottom of the can.
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I drank some eggnog in July that was dated January 10.

Of course I froze it just after New Years Day.
                          I have never tried drinking frozen eggnog.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            I have never tried drinking frozen eggnog.
                            The secret is putting it in the refrigerator for a day or so to thaw out first.

Comment

The secret is putting it in the refrigerator for a day or so to thaw out first.
                              That would work.

Comment