Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Kids allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids allowance

Not sure where this one goes.

Wife and I are starting to think about giving an allowance to the kids. We have not figured out the particulars yet--do they get 25cents per chore, or lose money if they fail to do a chore, etc. we will figure that out eventually.

What I'm curious is, what is a good dollar amount per week?

We are thinking that we want them to tithe on their allowance, and perhaps even have them put some portion of it aside in a bank account. Basically, do what they ought to do when they are older, right from the get go.
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Wow. YEAH!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I agree on the tithe idea. As for what amount, my memory is foggy, so... I got a quarter a week, and when they thought I was old enough, I was paid for each A and B I got on my report card. I think an A was two dollars and a B was one dollar.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

You can use this to teach them "check books" -- make a simple spreadsheet showing expenditures and deposits, and, yeah, some of it goes in savings.

Off the top of my head, I'd say make up a chart, list the chores, give a dollar value to each one, and deduct for nonperformance. PLUS -- deduct for "attitude".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

how old are the kids?

Comment

Give them mock interviews for the different chores, but make it fun..

"How much experience do you have washing dishes?"
            "uh..."

"OK, how much experience do you have in making dishes dirty?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Give them mock interviews for the different chores, but make it fun..

"How much experience do you have washing dishes?"
              "uh..."

"OK, how much experience do you have in making dishes dirty?"

I was actually thinking something like that, but with a distinction... wherever you have your computer set up in your house, or if you have a home office or something like that - ALWAYS do your "job" stuff in that area, so you can be "Dad" everywhere else. When they want to discuss work, make an appointment to "go to your office" - even if the appointment is "in 10 minutes".

I agree -- make it fun, but make it clearly "different" from being "dad".

Comment

Y'all all grew up in the 1950's, didn't you?

1) Allowance isn't the same as earned money. Set a particular amount and stick to it unless it is withheld as a punishment for a particularly bad offense (not doing regular, unpaid chores would count).

2) Earned money is a good thing! Mom and Dad aren't in the loaning business so providing means for kids to make extra is great! However, this is 2014 - no job should be less than $1. Also, 'chores' are part of the rental for living in the house so 'making your bed' and 'cleaning your room' should NOT be on the list and should be done before they can make money on any other. There are tons of little chores - and big ones as they get old enough - that they can do besides the ones they should have to do for themselves.

3) Tithing, saving and spending - 10% to God, 10% in Savings and 80% to the candy store! They need to get enough that spending money is actually an option - if 'taking out the garbage' won't even buy a candy bar (and at .25, it won't) they aren't gonna be motivated for very long.

4) Allowance again: I'd say any kid under 5 should get at least $5, 5 - 10 = $10; 11 - 14 = $15. 15 - off to college = $25 (I'm assuming /week - adjust accordingly). Use Mr Piggy until they have enough in savings to open a passbook account - then they can start learning about banking.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Your kids, your money; but whatever you decide, I wouldn't hold them to a requirement to tithe. Obviously you encourage it as parents, but making it mandatory goes against the entire spirit of a tithe.

Anyway, I never really got behind the idea of an allowance; but maybe it was just how I was raised. I did what I was told and I was allowed to stay in their home and eat their food.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Y'all all grew up in the 1950's, didn't you?
                    I am HIGHLY offended by that! I have NEVER grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I am HIGHLY offended by that! I have NEVER grown up!
                      True dat.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Good stuff guys; thanks.

Kids are 7 and 9.
                        No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Not really an allowance, but I thought it was important to increase the incentives disproportionately to discourage complacency:
                          • $5 for all A's except for two B's
                          • $10 for all A's except for one B
                          • $20 for all A's

As they get older, I will increase these amounts, but I've already told them if they get all A's through high school: $1,000
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't pay kids that weren't at least in Junior high for grades.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

4) Allowance again: I'd say any kid under 5 should get at least $5, 5 - 10 = $10; 11 - 14 = $15. 15 - off to college = $25 (I'm assuming /week - adjust accordingly). Use Mr Piggy until they have enough in savings to open a passbook account - then they can start learning about banking.

When I was 12 I got $250/month and my mother would "fine" us for not making our beds or similar offenses (usually a dime meaning I ended up with about $1 to $150 at the end of the month.

After that there was no allowance, I had to earn anything I got (or pocketed my school lunch money).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment