Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Making Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Coffee

I started drinking coffee late in life so that I could get away from my early morning soda.

What do people like for making coffee at home?

At the office, I normally have gone to the coffee/expresso console --with the coffee beans, vanilla and cocoa, etc. However, I am not yet going to the office again.

I may just need the simplest one with few cleanup requirements. But maybe it is better to just get an economical version, since our economy will take time to recover, the Lord willing.

I've sold out and gone to the Kuerig. Making it "a cup at a time" means

A) it's always fresh
    2) I can choose the blend I want - breakfast, mild, medium, dark...
    C) My wife can have her "blonde" coffee and I can have my dark roast
    D) The pot doesn't sit around and get that "burnt" taste

and other stuff
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've sold out and gone to the Kuerig. Making it "a cup at a time" means

A) it's always fresh
      2) I can choose the blend I want - breakfast, mild, medium, dark...
      C) My wife can have her "blonde" coffee and I can have my dark roast
      D) The pot doesn't sit around and get that "burnt" taste

and other stuff
      V: That you have a bunch of money to spend on coffee but don't want to go to Starbucks to do it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        V: That you have a bunch of money to spend on coffee but don't want to go to Starbucks to do it.
        Yeah, I ONLY got to Starbucks when it's a last resort - it tastes burnt to me. And I buy my Kuerig coffee in bulk from Amazon.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I saw a dual maker by Hamilton so I could choose what I want.

I noticed there are k-cup water filters for Keurig 2.0 Coffee Machines. I might just use bottled water instead (or sometimes tap water).

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            I saw a dual maker by Hamilton so I could choose what I want.

I noticed there are k-cup water filters for Keurig 2.0 Coffee Machines. I might just use bottled water instead (or sometimes tap water).
            Ours at home does both a pot and/or a Kuerig cup. Since my wife has been working from home a lot, it makes more sense for her to make a pot.
            When we're just "grabbing a cup to go", the single serve is the best.

Comment

Ours at home does both a pot and/or a Kuerig cup. Since my wife has been working from home a lot, it makes more sense for her to make a pot.
              When we're just "grabbing a cup to go", the single serve is the best.
              To go? Maybe you need a coffee maker for your truck.

Maybe a dual generic 2-way maker option is the way to go.

It looks like the prices is fifty cents a cup. I do drink an anti-oxidant drink at about $2 a pop. The good thing that has been happening is that I am not as fond of soda as I used to be.
              Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-13-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

To go? Maybe you need a coffee maker for your truck.
                OR, McDonald's on the way where I can get a "senior cup" for 50cent!

Maybe a dual generic 2-way maker option is the way to go.
                Or a syringe?

Comment

OR, McDonald's on the way where I can get a "senior cup" for 50cent!

Or a syringe?
                  or

http://www.roadtrucker.com/roadpro/1...fee-makers.htm

Comment

My commute to work has been reduced from nearly an hour down to less than 11 minutes.

Comment

I don't anticipate becoming a connoisseur of fine coffee. But it may help to have variety. I know K-cups offer that (there also is a reusable k-cup to allow any coffee to be used). Is it useful then to get a grinder to do freshly ground coffee?

Comment

I don't anticipate becoming a connoisseur of fine coffee. But it may help to have variety. I know K-cups offer that (there also is a reusable k-cup to allow any coffee to be used). Is it useful then to get a grinder to do freshly ground coffee?
                        I'm rather infamous for declaring "I don't want any of that foo-foo stuff - just give it to me straight and black".

Comment

I've sold out and gone to the Kuerig.
                          Kuerig is what Mike is apparently looking for - but please be aware of the following:

The inventor of the K-cup deeply regrets having invented it. Maybe having an environmental impact isn't enough to get a coffee-drinker to care, but the news that spent K-cups (when lined up) would circle the globe almost a dozen times (EACH YEAR!) should at least cause people to stop and think. Yes, they're convenient, but do we really need to throw crap away for ever single cup of coffee we drink?

---

To answer the OP's question constructively, buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

I make no money by linking this here. Instead, the basic idea is to find a small brewer that uses a brass filter (rather than the paper kind), and for the pot to be stainless steel. Keeps the trash down, and the SS keeps the coffee warm for a decent amount of time. Paper filters are OK if you can't find a brewer with a brass basket; I'm not that much of an environment Nazi.

I prefer a french press, but it's a PITA at work. Looks fancy, makes people ask you about it, lets you choose the right coffee, and it's very organic (ie. coffee + hot water = drink) - but sucks to clean, and you still have to boil water in something else...

---

PS. and really, there are a zillion versions of a paper filter sitting over a cup, in which you place coffee grounds, pour hot water over it, and drink. Not terribly messy, only makes a cup at a time (for people who don't drink tons), and you just throw the filter/grounds away when you're done. Still have to boil water, though...
                          Last edited by Whateverman; 06-13-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            Kuerig is what Mike is apparently looking for - but please be aware of the following:

The inventor of the K-cup deeply regrets having invented it. Maybe having an environmental impact isn't enough to get a coffee-drinker to care, but the news that spent K-cups (when lined up) would circle the globe more than a dozen times should at least cause people to stop and think. Yes, they're convenient, but do we really need to throw crap away for ever single cup of coffee we drink?
                            I wondered when that would come up, with all the plastic straws, single serve plasticware, etc...

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

I make no money by linking this here. Instead, the basic idea is to find a small brewer that uses a brass filter (rather than the paper kind), and for the pot to be stainless steel. Keeps the trash down, and the SS keeps the coffee warm for a decent amount of time. Paper filters are OK; I'm not that much of an environment Nazi.

I prefer a french press, but it's a PITA at work. Looks fancy, makes people ask you about it, lets you choose the right coffee, and it's very organic (ie. coffee + hot water = drink) - but sucks to clean, and you still have to boil water in something else...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

The inventor of the K-cup deeply regrets having invented it[/URL]. Maybe having an environmental impact isn't enough to get a coffee-drinker to care, but the news that spent K-cups (when lined up) would circle the globe almost a dozen times (EACH YEAR!) should at least cause people to stop and think. Yes, they're convenient, but do we really need to throw crap away for ever single cup of coffee we drink?
                              Maybe he is moping around on a multi-million dollar yacht.

I might try the reusable cup. If I feel like trying various blends, I might try single-use cups. But this probably is not my preferred option.

---

Cuisinart-DCC-450BK-Coffeemaker-Stainless-Steel-Carafe

I make no money by linking this here. Instead, the basic idea is to find a small brewer that uses a brass filter (rather than the paper kind), and for the pot to be stainless steel. Keeps the trash down, and the SS keeps the coffee warm for a decent amount of time. Paper filters are OK if you can't find a brewer with a brass basket; I'm not that much of an environment Nazi.

PS. and really, there are a zillion versions of a paper filter sitting over a cup, in which you place coffee grounds, pour hot water over it, and drink. Not terribly messy, only makes a cup at a time (for people who don't drink tons), and you just throw the filter/grounds away when you're done. Still have to boil water, though...
                              I figure I could use the coffee grounds to fertilize my plants.

The brass option sounds a little old-fashioned. But I had thought of using the old-fashion filter. It is good to hear that brass is available instead of aluminum. (My memory of the old coffee pots is from about 40 years ago.)

Comment