Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Making Coffee

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I just had a cuppa.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      I started drinking coffee late in life so that I could get away from my early morning soda.

      What do people like for making coffee at home?

      At the office, I normally have gone to the coffee/expresso console --with the coffee beans, vanilla and cocoa, etc. However, I am not yet going to the office again.

      I may just need the simplest one with few cleanup requirements. But maybe it is better to just get an economical version, since our economy will take time to recover, the Lord willing.
      I think that flavored creamers are almost invaluable for regular coffee. We ordered the Starbucks bottled frapps and canned expresso and creamer.

      I have been experimenting with the cans and with instant coffee and using milk to cool it down along with: vanilla extract (I don't remember exactly how this came out, but it does add a little flavor), chocolate syrup (seems to work-I was doing something along the lines of a mocha), and my vanilla vegan milks (doesn't blend as well as regular milk but not a bad thing to add a touch if you want a light flavor and are also using regular milk). A touch of Kahlua occasionally helps smooth a flavor out since its something that we would normally mix with milk anyway. I would only recommend Irish Cream for a chocolate based drink though.

      If you like a strong dark brew and also like tea, then try black tea mixed with coffee, such as making a cup of tea, then added instant coffee. I have not tried brewing tea in coffee though.
      I am become death...

      Comment


      • #33
        My doctor just told me to drink 3 to 4 cups of coffee per day. Seriously.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          My doctor just told me to drink 3 to 4 cups of coffee per day. Seriously.
          I do that before lunch.
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
            I think that flavored creamers are almost invaluable for regular coffee. We ordered the Starbucks bottled frapps and canned expresso and creamer.

            I have been experimenting with the cans and with instant coffee and using milk to cool it down along with: vanilla extract (I don't remember exactly how this came out, but it does add a little flavor), chocolate syrup (seems to work-I was doing something along the lines of a mocha), and my vanilla vegan milks (doesn't blend as well as regular milk but not a bad thing to add a touch if you want a light flavor and are also using regular milk). A touch of Kahlua occasionally helps smooth a flavor out since its something that we would normally mix with milk anyway. I would only recommend Irish Cream for a chocolate based drink though.

            If you like a strong dark brew and also like tea, then try black tea mixed with coffee, such as making a cup of tea, then added instant coffee. I have not tried brewing tea in coffee though.
            I am interested in different flavors. I do get concerned about what is added to the coffee for other flavors. At work, the flavorings usually have high fructose corn syrup. I could try vanilla extract or cocoa.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              I am interested in different flavors. I do get concerned about what is added to the coffee for other flavors. At work, the flavorings usually have high fructose corn syrup. I could try vanilla extract or cocoa.
              When I want flavoring, I will use Torani syrups. They have sugar free ones too. I like the Irish Cream one.

              https://shop.torani.com/Sugar-Free-S...ugarFreeSyrups

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                When I want flavoring, I will use Torani syrups. They have sugar free ones too. I like the Irish Cream one.

                https://shop.torani.com/Sugar-Free-S...ugarFreeSyrups
                We used to use Torani, but discovered all these flavoured coffees and don't bother with the syrups anymore. My daughter still uses them.

                I am not as concerned about additives and so on.


                Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  When I want flavoring, I will use Torani syrups. They have sugar free ones too. I like the Irish Cream one.

                  https://shop.torani.com/Sugar-Free-S...ugarFreeSyrups
                  I quickly noticed the black cherry syrup. I have gotten black cherry syrup in the past. It was unsweetened. I wanted to use this to make a sugarless soda.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    I quickly noticed the black cherry syrup. I have gotten black cherry syrup in the past. It was unsweetened. I wanted to use this to make a sugarless soda.
                    We have a Soda Stream that we used the syrup for, as well. It works for that, too.


                    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      We have a Soda Stream that we used the syrup for, as well. It works for that, too.
                      Did you use that for a while, then quit? That's why we never got one - it seemed like it would be a fad, then "get old".
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Did you use that for a while, then quit? That's why we never got one - it seemed like it would be a fad, then "get old".
                        We still use it, but we get the Walmart brand of the SS syrup. It goes farther than the Torani so ends up less expensive.

                        I rarely use it myself, but Mr. mossy and the boy use it frequently.


                        Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          We still use it, but we get the Walmart brand of the SS syrup. It goes farther than the Torani so ends up less expensive.

                          I rarely use it myself, but Mr. mossy and the boy use it frequently.
                          Interesting - - we've talked about getting one, but didn't think we'd really use it.
                          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Interesting - - we've talked about getting one, but didn't think we'd really use it.
                            It was given to the boy as a Christmas gift by his sister and her husband probably 10 years or so ago.


                            Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              I am interested in different flavors. I do get concerned about what is added to the coffee for other flavors. At work, the flavorings usually have high fructose corn syrup. I could try vanilla extract or cocoa.
                              Mocha is basically hot chocolate and espresso, so dark coffee and hot chocolate at home should get you something similar. If you use plain coco powder, this might blend best with milk and then mixed with coffee rather than straight into coffee because of the coco butter oils-at least it blended better for me when I made something else with coco powder, water. and milk.

                              I don't know what the natural flavors are in Torini, but I try to limit artificial sweeteners as well as or rotate them with sugar since some of them have affected blood sugar in the long run-I have to look up the details on how or if it applies to all. I don't mind a little sugar here and there. I must second Sparko's mention of Irish Cream. One of my favorite flavors of coffee is mocha frapp with added flavors of Irish Cream and mint together.
                              Last edited by Ana Dragule; 06-26-2020, 05:52 PM.
                              I am become death...

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X