Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

My Big Bad Sewing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Big Bad Sewing thread

I have restarted my sewing blog, it is at http://carynification.wordpress.com/

But my sewing machine is presently broken. I started a beginning serger class back at Craftsy (an awesome site for lessons by the way-- you have to pay for them but well worth it) a few years ago, so I am going to go back and finish that in my downtime. I am at the point of doing my first three-thread flatlock.
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

I have my grandma's sewing machine, I have no idea how old it is. But I learned to sew by hand in Indian Guides and Cub Scouts in the '70s.

sew.jpg
    Last edited by JohnnyP; 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Well, it is a treadle cabinet which puts it fairly early. Appears to be a Singer. Without seeing the machine it's impossible to date - earliest would be 1880's but could be considerably later. Singer offered the treadle for decades after the electric was invented - few people had electricity.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The style of cabinet appears pretty old. The later cabinets were mostly non-curvy with wooden legs, weren't they?

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking younger - 1920's maybe. The ornate top is a recess - the earliest machines were permanent mount, as I recall.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ill have to research its age more, meantime just saw this on Facebook, guy sews/embroiders pictures into his hand...

Comment

So .... wrong....

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Had to take my machine in for tune up. $150!!!!! But it seems to be working fine now. Denver Sewing Expo this next weekend.

Still working on the serger class. Next to learn is two thread hem-- first time using the spreader.

sigpic

Comment

Still plugging along in the serger class- having to buy a lot of supplies though and needed a horizontal thread spooler converter -$14 shipping for a $10 item. Damn Canadia!

sigpic

Comment

Again still doing the serger class. Being sick has slowed me down, and I went to the Denver Sewing Expo which was fun.

In my class we put yarn though the upper looper on the serger. Nice effect.

sigpic

Comment

I am the world's worst sewer.

The only time I've ever tried was in seventh grade for a home ec class project. I was supposed to sew a pig. I managed to sew it inside out somehow.

/drops mic
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Putting ribbon through my cheap serger whacked it out, due for a tune up and blade change anyway

sigpic

Comment

All of machines were broken at one time. They are fixed now. I am almost done with that serging class, made two really nifty exposed zipper toiletry bags. Working on an apron now, never realized ypu could attach pieces using a flat lock stitch on the serger.

sigpic

Comment