Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Chankonabe ("Sumo Stew")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chankonabe ("Sumo Stew")

From Wikipedia (because I find this quote amusing):

Source: wikipedia

Chankonabe (ちゃんこ鍋) is a Japanese stew (a type of nabemono or one-pot dish) commonly eaten in vast quantity by sumo wrestlers as part of a weight-gain diet.

© Copyright Original Source

Basically a chicken broth with a load of meat, vegetables, noodles, rice, whatever you have on hand.

To the surprise of no one, I loved this. The kids liked it, too. Healthy, tasty, filling...it's looking like it'll become a staple around our house.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    From Wikipedia (because I find this quote amusing):

Source: wikipedia

Chankonabe (ちゃんこ鍋) is a Japanese stew (a type of nabemono or one-pot dish) commonly eaten in vast quantity by sumo wrestlers as part of a weight-gain diet.

© Copyright Original Source

Basically a chicken broth with a load of meat, vegetables, noodles, rice, whatever you have on hand.

To the surprise of no one, I loved this. The kids liked it, too. Healthy, tasty, filling...it's looking like it'll become a staple around our house.
    What a funny coincidence. I started watching Hinomaru Sumo yesterday, and they mentioned Chankonabe in the first, or second episode.

Comment

Weight-gain diet? Maybe THAT's what I'm on!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"tastes good. I want sumo'!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Weight-gain diet? Maybe THAT's what I'm on!!!
          Something makes me think there might be a minor difference in degree here.

Comment

Something makes me think there might be a minor difference in degree here.
            And goals.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are there particular spices or seasonings that are distinctive to this dish?
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                Are there particular spices or seasonings that are distinctive to this dish?
                This is the recipe we used. Though there's no set recipe, miso, soy sauce, and kimchi are most often used.

Comment

This is the recipe we used. Though there's no set recipe, miso, soy sauce, and kimchi are most often used.
                  What?!? No bacon?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    What?!? No bacon?
                    You could, although as I understand it, four-legged animals are typically avoided for reasons of tradition.

Comment

You could, although as I understand it, four-legged animals are typically avoided for reasons of tradition.
                      Soooo... what we need is a three-legged pig

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Soooo... what we need is a three-legged pig
                        That reminds me of a joke.

A man was traveling out of town through a rural area when his car broke down. He was wondering what to do when a farmer drove by and saw him. The farmer stopped and offered to help, but since it was already getting late he told the man he could come have dinner with his family and stay the night, and he'd drive him into town the next morning. So the man sits down to dinner with the farmer, the farmer's wife, his daughter and son, and a three legged pig wearing two medals around his neck. He asked the farmer about the pig, and the farmer replied, "well, he has been a good pig and has earned the right to eat dinner with the family. He got the first medal when he saved our son's life by pulling him out of the pond when he was drowning. He got the second when he saved our daughter by pulling her out of the barn when it was on fire." "That's amazing!" said the man. "How did he lose his leg?" "Oh," replied the farmer. "A pig that amazing, you can't eat all at once."
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

A man was traveling out of town through a rural area when his car broke down. He was wondering what to do when a farmer drove by and saw him. The farmer stopped and offered to help, but since it was already getting late he told the man he could come have dinner with his family and stay the night, and he'd drive him into town the next morning. So the man sits down to dinner with the farmer, the farmer's wife, his daughter and son, and a three legged pig wearing two medals around his neck. He asked the farmer about the pig, and the farmer replied, "well, he has been a good pig and has earned the right to eat dinner with the family. He got the first medal when he saved our son's life by pulling him out of the pond when he was drowning. He got the second when he saved our daughter by pulling her out of the barn when it was on fire." "That's amazing!" said the man. "How did he lose his leg?" "Oh," replied the farmer. "A pig that amazing, you can't eat all at once."
                          Glad you told it, cause I didn't want to type all that. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Glad you told it, cause I didn't want to type all that. Good job!
                            I had it mind when I posted and did expect it'd be the prodder of bovines who posted it.

Comment

I had it mind when I posted and did expect it'd be the prodder of bovines who posted it.
                              He was busy prodding bovines, and hadn't switched into porcine mode.

Comment