Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Grilling the BEST STEAK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Just trying to help you get past the "NY" thing you were complaining about.
    You're such a loving brother.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I just call it supper. (or lunch, dinner, breakfast...)
    Just trying to help you get past the "NY" thing you were complaining about.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You do know that another name for a New York strip is a Kansas City strip don't you? Another name is the Top Loin.
    I just call it supper. (or lunch, dinner, breakfast...)

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    I did not see either of your posts, moss. You are not here.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    You did not see the last post. I am not here.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    We just call it strip loin, and it is our preferred cut.

Alberta beef, all the way.
    Last edited by mossrose; 04-30-2014, 12:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Yeah, I've had better results with NY Strip.. I just have to get past the "NY" part.
    You do know that another name for a New York strip is a Kansas City strip don't you? Another name is the Top Loin.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Right now, I'm pretty much at the minimum required by law to maintain my grazing exemptions.
    Just to be clear, it's not so much an "exemption" as it is a lowering of valuation -- the same tax rates still apply, but on a lower value. In Texas, if I were to sell that land, all of the "back taxes" on the actual appraised value become due and payable.

We found some land in Victoria Texas (when I was with the Gas Compression company) where we wanted to build an area office, and the land was REALLY "priced to sell". Then I found out why -- it had been valued as "grazing land", and would be reclassified as commercial property, so we would have had to pay the "back taxes" for the previous 7 years. It made the deal WAY too expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    How many do you have?
    We try to keep it right at 40 for now. Maybe when I fully retire, we'll go the max.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I think with sirloin, a lot of time it is the way you cook it. Most steak experts say you are supposed to sear steak at really high temps and then cook it pretty fast on high heat. For me, when I do that with sirloin, it seems to make it tougher. If I sear it a little on each side, then cook it fairly slow on about medium heat, it seems to come out more tender.
    Yeah, when I do sirloin on the grill, I pile all my charcoal to one side so I have a good "hot zone", and I can move the steaks over to the cooler side if, for example, somebody wants theirs medium well and somebody else wants them rare or medium rare.

I have also experimented with letting them "warm up" on the "cooler" side of the grill for about 20 minutes, THEN moving them over to the "hot zone" for that sear and sizzle.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-29-2014, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    We had to cut the herd WAY BACK a few years ago when the drought was hitting us really hard, and hay became so dadgum expensive. Sold off a lot of beef for some pretty lousy prices.

Right now, I'm pretty much at the minimum required by law to maintain my grazing exemptions.
    How many do you have?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Yeah, I've had better results with NY Strip.. I just have to get past the "NY" part.

See previous post.
    I think with sirloin, a lot of time it is the way you cook it. Most steak experts say you are supposed to sear steak at really high temps and then cook it pretty fast on high heat. For me, when I do that with sirloin, it seems to make it tougher. If I sear it a little on each side, then cook it fairly slow on about medium heat, it seems to come out more tender.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You mean you don't raise your own beef cattle, CP?
    We had to cut the herd WAY BACK a few years ago when the drought was hitting us really hard, and hay became so dadgum expensive. Sold off a lot of beef for some pretty lousy prices.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I will give it a try next time. I agree with you on the sirloin. sometimes you get a cut that melts in your mouth, other times it is like eating the sole of a shoe.

You mean you don't raise your own beef cattle, CP?
    See previous post.
    But sometimes, I just go to the 'back yard' to get a good steak.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X