Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Grilling the BEST STEAK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilling the BEST STEAK!

No, I'm not going to dive into my "Texas grill best" diatribe... I'm wanting input from others about your own grilling preferences / techniques.

PLEASE NO GOOFY NONSENSE, ok?

So....

Gas Grilling? Charcoal Grilling? Oven broiling? What's your best cooking method?

Then marinating? yes/no?

I think I grill a pretty decent steak, but want to perfect this art.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I have one of those Charbroil Red infrared grills.

I usually start with a thick cut of sirloin. About 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick. I marinate in various things using my vacuum sealing machine for at least half a day (I like to experiment). Lots of times I will just use a rub.

Fire up the grill really hot, sear it for about 2 minutes on one side, then on the other side. Then turn it down and cook it at around medium heat till it's about medium-well.

---
    I made some awesome burgers on the grill yesterday. mixed up Ground chuck, with some chipoltle sauce, Worcestershire sauce, some chopped onions, and a teeny bit of garlic. Man, they came out really good. A lot of times if you add anything into the meat, it tends to break up on the grill, so I will make the patties, then freeze them for a couple of hours. It doesn't affect the taste and it keeps them together till they get cooked enough to flip without breaking.

Comment

marinate the steak for 24 hours in red wine, garlic mushrooms onion soy sauce woucestershire, salt pepper and some A1. Remove steak and grill to medium in charcoal or gas and seperately sautee the marinade in a pan. top on the steak.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Propane bbq, with some cherry or apple wood chips to make a little smoke.

Up until last Friday, when we opened up the bbq and got terrified by a live mouse.

Now, I am ready to throw the grill away and broil the steak in the oven.

Edit to add: I hope this wasn't too goofy......
        Last edited by mossrose; 04-28-2014, 03:09 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

With all due respect to "Hank Hill," propane is for convenience not taste

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And your point?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I would agree with that. But at least with my infrared grill, I can smoke wood chips in it to give flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                And your point?
                I prefer my steaks to taste their best.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I prefer my steaks to taste their best.
                  Oh. Well, when you get to be my age, you are more interested in convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Oh. Well, when you get to be my age, you are more interested in convenience.

Nobody will ever get to be your age.

And if that's the case why don't you just microwave them?

Comment

Nobody will ever get to be your age.

And if that's the case why don't you just microwave them?
                      That's just goofy. Too goofy for this thread!

Nobody microwaves meat!

Except me when I make bacon for my girly........
                      Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I have a nice infrared gas grill, and a charcoal one. Then I also have a small portable gas grill if we just want to do a couple quick hot dogs or burgers.

But nothing beats grilling them over WOOD. We have access to a lot of mesquite, which gives a really nice wood grilled flavor.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          marinate the steak for 24 hours in red wine, garlic mushrooms onion soy sauce woucestershire, salt pepper and some A1. Remove steak and grill to medium in charcoal or gas and seperately sautee the marinade in a pan. top on the steak.
                          All that foo-foo stuff is good for is to cover up the taste of poor-quality meat. Fresh, prime steak doesn't need any help.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            All that foo-foo stuff is good for is to cover up the taste of poor-quality meat. Fresh, prime steak doesn't need any help.
                            It works on crappy meat, and it makes prime cut meat taste even better
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                              It works on crappy meat,
                              That's not allowed in Texas

and it makes prime cut meat taste even better
                              I'm with OBP on this --- REAL steak doesn't need any help.

Comment