Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Health snack ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health snack ideas

Can you recommend some healthy, less processed snack ideas that don’t give me a lot of fiber? (Please pick my afternoon snack for me, but a healthy one.)
    I am become death...

I was going to say almonds and dates, until you mentioned fiber.

That's my go to afternoon snack. I need the iron that the dates provide, and the almonds, and the extra bit of fiber doesn't hurt me anyway because I take extra calcium for my osteoporosis.

Oranges?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I was going to say almonds and dates, until you mentioned fiber.

That's my go to afternoon snack. I need the iron that the dates provide, and the almonds, and the extra bit of fiber doesn't hurt me anyway because I take extra calcium for my osteoporosis.

Oranges?
      I’ve been eating a lot of fresh produce. I do need more citrus though. It may be time to buy oranges along with some yogurt.
      I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post

I’ve been eating a lot of fresh produce. I do need more citrus though. It may be time to buy oranges along with some yogurt.
        Yogurt is good, too. I usually have some an hour or so before bed. Otherwise I get hungry.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

blueberries

by the ton
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Bacon has no fiber.

Comment

Can you recommend some healthy, less processed snack ideas that don’t give me a lot of fiber? (Please pick my afternoon snack for me, but a healthy one.)
              I was intrigued by your request not to include dietary fibre given its generally accepted benefits.

I would have agreed with mossrose regarding dried fruits and nuts - or with Cow Poke on fresh fruit had you not mentioned that. Perhaps a cracker with Quark or a cream cheese of some sort might also help, or if you are not vegetarian, some oily fish such as fresh tuna, herring or mackerel [ideally sustainably caught].
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I was intrigued by your request not to include dietary fibre given its generally accepted benefits.

I would have agreed with
                Because people will first jump to fresh fruits or possibly salad as most people don’t get 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. I’ve really been working hard to do this (fruit and veggie smoothies, banana almond butter multigrain toast, cucumber cheese sandwich on multigrain, etc.) and too much raw fruit and vegetables can cause heart burn.

I suppose cooked fruits and vegetables are ok, but I don’t want to spend a long time in food prep and don’t want to rely on frying.
                I am become death...

Comment

Because people will first jump to fresh fruits or possibly salad as most people don’t get 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. I’ve really been working hard to do this (fruit and veggie smoothies, banana almond butter multigrain toast, cucumber cheese sandwich on multigrain, etc.) and too much raw fruit and vegetables can cause heart burn.
                  The latter reference to heart-burn can be an issue.

I suppose cooked fruits and vegetables are ok, but I don’t want to spend a long time in food prep and don’t want to rely on frying.
                  How about stir frying? That uses minimal oil and is the work of cooking moments, although it would be counter to your wish to cut down food preparation time as everything does require prepping prior to cooking.

If you want something quick and healthy, and you are not vegetarian, although you do not mention eating fish or meat, you could try the fish option. I am assuming cooked oily fish can be purchased where you live and that, either as it is, or made into a ?pate? with herbs, chilli, garlic or whatever you wish makes an excellent snack with crackers or wholegrain bread.

Likewise, crudités of raw cucumber, carrot, or celery with a soft cream cheese mixed with something along the lines of capers, garlic, and chopped fresh herbs, might be a possibility.

Anyway, good luck and whatever you eat Guten appetit!

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

How about stir frying? That uses minimal oil and is the work of cooking moments, although it would be counter to your wish to cut down food preparation time as everything does require prepping prior to cooking.

If you want something quick and healthy, and you are not vegetarian, although you do not mention eating fish or meat, you could try the fish option. I am assuming cooked oily fish can be purchased where you live and that, either as it is, or made into a ?pate? with herbs, chilli, garlic or whatever you wish makes an excellent snack with crackers or wholegrain bread.

Likewise, crudités of raw cucumber, carrot, or celery with a soft cream cheese mixed with something along the lines of capers, garlic, and chopped fresh herbs, might be a possibility.

Great ideas. Also didn’t realize stir frying was considered different than frying. Cheers!
                    I am become death...

Comment

Aside from stir fry maybe try air frying if you have one (they aren't expensive), but beware of burning your food because it cooks stuff fast.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Aside from stir fry maybe try air frying if you have one (they aren't expensive), but beware of burning your food because it cooks stuff fast.
                        We did look into the option of an air-fryer but we do not do enough [deep] frying to warrant getting one.

When we do deep fry it is mainly for bhaji or falafel.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

We did look into the option of an air-fryer but we do not do enough [deep] frying to warrant getting one.

When we do deep fry it is mainly for bhaji or falafel.
                          I just bought my first air fryer. Keep in mind that it doesn't just replace deep frying. It can cook anything that you would normally use a full sized oven for, as long as it will fit. So for relatively small portions, you have much quicker pre-heating times and less energy usage. (And some are big enough for two whole chickens.)

The first thing I did with it was "boil" an egg, with pretty good results. (It took ten minutes, but I didn't have to stick around to watch it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I just bought my first air fryer. Keep in mind that it doesn't just replace deep frying. It can cook anything that you would normally use a full sized oven for, as long as it will fit. So for relatively small portions, you have much quicker pre-heating times and less energy usage. (And some are big enough for two whole chickens.)

The first thing I did with it was "boil" an egg, with pretty good results. (It took ten minutes, but I didn't have to stick around to watch it.)
                            Thst is interesting although ten minutes is a long time for one egg.

I suppose if I was starting out from the beginning it might be an item worth considering, and I can see its advantages for small flats, single people, and for reducing fuel costs.

However, we have a fully operational kitchen, and I can envisage [at least for us] this would just take up space on the work surface and collect dust.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Thst is interesting although ten minutes is a long time for one egg.
                              Yeah, I think it's because air doesn't transfer heat as quickly as water does. OTOH, you don't have to wait for water to boil, and it wouldn't take much longer to cook a dozen.

I suppose if I was starting out from the beginning it might be an item worth considering, and I can see its advantages for small flats, single people, and for reducing fuel costs.

However, we have a fully operational kitchen, and I can envisage [at least for us] this would just take up space on the work surface and collect dust.
                              One advantage I forgot to mention is that it doesn't heat up your kitchen as much as an oven.

But if you don't think you would use it, it's certainly not worth buying.

Comment