Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Health snack ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    Yeah, I think it's because air doesn't transfer heat as quickly as water does. OTOH, you don't have to wait for water to boil, and it wouldn't take much longer to cook a dozen.
    That is true

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

One advantage I forgot to mention is that it doesn't heat up your kitchen as much as an oven.
    I think the energy saving aspect is probably very worthwhile but I honestly do not imagine we would use it that much. I think it would also depend on the type of cooking one did and I cannot think of what we would actually cook in it.

Thank you for the tips though.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post

Because people will first jump to fresh fruits or possibly salad as most people don’t get 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. I’ve really been working hard to do this (fruit and veggie smoothies, banana almond butter multigrain toast, cucumber cheese sandwich on multigrain, etc.) and too much raw fruit and vegetables can cause heart burn.

I suppose cooked fruits and vegetables are ok, but I don’t want to spend a long time in food prep and don’t want to rely on frying.
      That sounds more like an acid problem to me. I could be wrong though.

I have problems eating certain things due to taste, and texture. I also have a sensitive stomach and some digestive issues so I'm pretty limited on what I eat. One of the more tasty options has been the Fiber One chocolate brownies. Even the generic Kroger version of this was pretty good. In fact the Kroger* They do have fiber, but no sugar. They taste better than a lot of the stuff it is an alternative to. I also recently tried out Magic Spoon cereal**. No sugar or gluten in it. It doesn't have much fiber compared to other similar stuff. However does have a good amount of protein in it. It's a little odd on the texture, and some people are sensitive to the aftertaste. Fortunately for me the aftertaste wasn't an issue. Probably the biggest problem is the price. The stuff is around $10 a box, and the boxes aren't that big.

*I'm not 100% sure it was Kroger, it might have been Wal-Mart. The brand had a pink box. It tastes pretty close to the Little Debbie brownies, but without the nuts.

**I've only tried the cocoa flavor so far, but we have a box of peanut butter, and cinnamon flavor as well. I'm curious as to how they Peanut Butter one is.

Comment

I got this thing I do with butter and cracked black pepper. I crack some fresh pepper on the cutting board and press a thin slice of butter all into the pepper, so that the pepper is covering all the butter. Then I eat it. I've been doing this several times a day like it's crack.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
          I got this thing I do with butter and cracked black pepper. I crack some fresh pepper on the cutting board and press a thin slice of butter all into the pepper, so that the pepper is covering all the butter. Then I eat it. I've been doing this several times a day like it's crack.
          I loves me some good freshly cracked pepper.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I loves me some good freshly cracked pepper.
            I'm taking pinches of it and eating it. Is there some addictive property to it or what?

Comment

I'm taking pinches of it and eating it. Is there some addictive property to it or what?
              Don't know, but when I make a BLT, I have to have lots of it - that, with some pink Himalayan sea salt.

(It just occurred to me that I don't usually associate the Himalayas with the sea )
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Don't know, but when I make a BLT, I have to have lots of it - that, with some pink Himalayan sea salt.

(It just occurred to me that I don't usually associate the Himalayas with the sea )
                Maybe it was deposited there by the sea billions of years ago?

I like fresh cracked salt as well.

EDIT: freshly crushed.

Comment

Maybe it was deposited there by the sea billions of years ago?

I like fresh cracked salt as well.

EDIT: freshly crushed.
                  And potato soup - almost a layer of cracked pepper on top!

Comment

Great flood.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Great flood.

Yeah, still....

Comment

I am assuming you mean freshly ground black pepper which is "spicy" [as we would describe it] although some might use the word "hot", and the spicier/hotter capsicums are certainly addictive. I am always amused by the fact that Solanaceae which includes deadly nightshade also produces so many edible plants [capsicum, potatoes, egg plant, tomatoes].
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Why ever not? Plate tectonics explains how that range was formed.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Why ever not? Plate tectonics explains how that range was formed.
                            The key word there was "usually".

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Great flood.

Glenn posted at length about this at one time. The science came down to how much sediment could be suspended, and the answer was nowhere near that much. There’s thousands of feet of marine sediment on top of the Himalayas, way too much for it to have been deposited in a flood of any size.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am assuming you mean freshly ground black pepper which is "spicy" [as we would describe it] although some might use the word "hot", and the spicier/hotter capsicums are certainly addictive. I am always amused by the fact that Solanaceae which includes deadly nightshade also produces so many edible plants [capsicum, potatoes, egg plant, tomatoes].
                                Yes. Freshly ground. I'm still strung out on it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X