Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

What has remote work taught you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has remote work taught you?

If you ended up doing remote work after doing in-person work, what did you learn from the experience?
    I am become death...

I have been remote working for two years now. I love it.

I can get more work done. Nobody to look over my shoulder or interrupt me. I have my dog here. Save $120/month in parking garage fees and over $50 a month in gas (probably more now that gas is so high) and saved nearly $1000/year in local city tax. So nearly $3,000 savings per year just for working from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I have been remote working for two years now. I love it.

I can get more work done. Nobody to look over my shoulder or interrupt me. I have my dog here. Save $120/month in parking garage fees and over $50 a month in gas (probably more now that gas is so high) and saved nearly $1000/year in local city tax. So nearly $3,000 savings per year just for working from home.

Given how they are calculating that when you combine the effects of inflation with soaring energy prices that the average household will spend $5000 more per year on gas now, you likely saved more. More than enough to offset having to buy your own coffee and not being able to steal lunch from the other workers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I find the temptation to get distracted is much stronger when there's not someone else sitting at the next desk who might notice. And not having chats over coffee with teammates makes me feel a bit more disconnected.

But the up-sides are great... no wasting 1hr+ in travel, no interruptions (though to be fair, I don't get interrupted too much in the office either), get to use my own office setup...

Comment

I worked remotely four days a week for years, before all this Covid stuff made it popular. I'm retired now.

I liked it. I was doing work (programming) that required little contact with others and if I needed to consult someone there was always the phone. I found that without the distractions I could get my tasks done in much less time and of course saved a lot of time, money and stress by not having the commute. I could take a break and watch TV without anyone knowing (or caring I suspect).

One thing, without external discipline you have to impose your own. And I'd hate to do it with small children in the house. Adults should be firmly told that interruptions are only allowed in emergencies. Dogs are fine.

Comment