Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Growing ginger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I readily admit to knowing little about ginger but shouldn't you be planting that or something?
    Not yet. It takes 2 or 3 weeks before it will be ready to plant, according to what I’ve read. Then the rhizomes will be cut up, each piece having a node, then planted. The shoots have to be 2-3 inches long.

Here is the site I am using for instructions.

https://empressofdirt.net/grow-ginger/

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Well, the nodes are growing, but soooooooooooooo slowly.

Doing some more reading on other methods, , we decided to take one piece (the smaller one in the pictures) and just plant it in a pot. We will see how it does, and if it does well, we'll cut the other piece in half and plant them, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So here is our ginger this morning. We decided that since the piece we planted was doing better, faster, than the one we were babying in the dark in the cupboard, to plant that one, too. We cut that second piece in half and now have 2 more shoots from those.

The first pic shows the pot with all 3 shoots. The taller shoot is the first piece we planted, and the other 2 are from the second piece. We noticed right away that the shoots from the second 2 pieces came up with a completely different look than the first piece. You can see in the second picture that the leaves are different from the tallest shoot. I am convinced there are 2 varieties of ginger in the pot, although they looked the same when I got the rhizomes from the grocer.

D7EE225A-500C-42EF-9893-33E163A5C19C.jpegA3348BBE-A26D-4CDC-B625-23C0A7636D53.jpeg

Comment

It doesn't look like the ginger on the far right has sprouted. Instead it just sits there looking vaguely wistful.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It doesn't look like the ginger on the far right has sprouted. Instead it just sits there looking vaguely wistful.
            It's sprouted. There was nothing above ground when we planted it. It's just slower than than the one on the left that comes from the same rhizome.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It's sprouted. There was nothing above ground when we planted it. It's just slower than than the one on the left that comes from the same rhizome.
              You don't say

image_53391.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You don't say

image_53391.jpg
                Oh. THAT one. That is Mr. mossy's attempt at dressing up the pot. I was talking about the sprout in the back right.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Oh. THAT one. That is Mr. mossy's attempt at dressing up the pot. I was talking about the sprout in the back right.

Or, if you meant the really, really, really little sprout, there were 2 of those shortly after we planted the second pieces of ginger. One got really tall and broke off, but didn't get any fatter in the stem. This one is not much taller than the one that broke off, but it's putting out new leaves. It's not a weed, because we used new potting soil to plant. So I think it's ginger, but not very strong.

Comment

This morning.

IMG_0106a.jpg

The third (original) shoot broke off the other day. That was the one from the first piece we planted, that I am convinced was a totally different variety.

The little thing neat the decoration is also continuing to produce leaves and getting a little taller. I have no clue what that is.

Comment