Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Growing ginger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing ginger!

Been doing some reading on growing a ginger plant from grocery store ginger. We bought a couple of pieces last Tuesday, and following some really good instructions I found on line, we are starting to get sprouting on the rhizomes!

It will be a couple of weeks before we can actually plant them. Anybody interested in the instructions, or pictures of progression?

Anybody tried doing this before? This will not be an outside plant in my climate but should make a nice houseplant, with maybe even some ginger we can use for cooking!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Am I wrong for initially thinking that this thread was about raising redheads?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Am I wrong for initially thinking that this thread was about raising redheads?
      Yes. Yes, you are wrong.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Here is a pic of the ginger nodes after 7 days wrapped in damp paper towel, steaming in a plastic bag inside a cupboard. There are 4 nodes. When I bought the ginger I only saw 3, so a little one, near the bottom end of the smaller piece was hiding in the beginning. Those nodes were only tiny green bumps on the rhizome at first.

I will post more pictures as time goes by. It won’t be ready for planting for another couple of weeks, and it looks like we’ll get 4 plants if all goes well!

533C7892-15DB-4E0B-8E00-BEF2A87393E7.jpeg

Comment

So, this thread isn't about the character Ginger Grant on the old Gilligan's Island TV show either?

No need to get up. I know the way out.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

ginger meggs coins.jpg

Exploding bottles of home-made ginger beer ... fond memories of childhood, so nostalgic.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Don't glare at me. I left.

And I'll stop teasing you.

For now.

At least in this thread.

Comment

You can be in the thread. It's just about the ginger plant.

Comment

You can be in the thread. It's just about the ginger plant.
                    You must be thinking of Ginger Baker, the drummer for Cream. And while he has (or had) red hair, the front man for Led Zeppelin was Robert Plant not Ginger Plant.

See?

This is why I said I was leaving.

Comment

Comment

...with maybe even some ginger we can use for cooking!
                        I'd be curious to know what cooking you have planned for it.
                        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

I'd be curious to know what cooking you have planned for it.
                          Triple Ginger Cookies!

Comment

Three days after the last photo. The largest node is definitely getting larger.

8E3933B6-A0B8-4A52-A5B3-65A87B013319.jpeg

Comment

Three days after the last photo. The largest node is definitely getting larger.

8E3933B6-A0B8-4A52-A5B3-65A87B013319.jpeg
                              I readily admit to knowing little about ginger but shouldn't you be planting that or something?

Comment