Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Good Old Bitter Ale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Old Bitter Ale

https://www.everydayhealth.com/pictu...beer-good-you/

I knew it. Lately I've been drinking dark ales (or bitter ales) with my meals and it settles my stomach. Far less gas (the burping kind) during and afterward. My wife complained that it was just an excuse to drink!

Beer Aids Digestion

Getty Images
    Bitter acids in beer may also improve digestion. A 2012 study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry looked at five types of German and Austrian beer and found that each triggered the release of gastric acid from stomach cells. The more bitter acids a brew contained, the greater the response. Gastric acid is key for both digesting food in the stomach and controlling the growth of dangerous gut bacteria.

creating more acid is the opposite of "settling your stomach"

Comment

It feels "settled" because I'm not bloated, gassy or full feeling. My digestion is working better

I should add, I take Omeprezole to keep nighttime reflux at bay. So this counteracts that for daytime meals

Comment

Hops, the female flowers of the hop plant, give beer its tangy, bitter taste. These bright green buds are also chock-full of chemicals known as bitter acids, which have an array of health-promoting effects. Bitter acids are powerful inflammation fighters, according to a 2009 laboratory study published in Molecular Nutrition and Food Research. One type of bitter acid, humulone, offers promise for both preventing and treating viral respiratory infections in a 2013 study funded by Japanese beer manufacturer Sapporo.
        Beer fights COVID!
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Beer fights COVID!

I bought this stuff to just get the bitters and not get the alcohol (drinking an ale at lunch can make me sleepy and give me a headache). But it doesn't work as well. And it tastes nasty!

IMG_0164.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            creating more acid is the opposite of "settling your stomach"
            No, not really. It depends on whether there's food there for it to digest.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I bought this stuff to just get the bitters and not get the alcohol (drinking an ale at lunch can make me sleepy and give me a headache). But it doesn't work as well. And it tastes nasty!

IMG_0164.jpg
              Why not just drink hydrochloric acid directly and get rid of the middle man?

Comment

Why not just drink hydrochloric acid directly and get rid of the middle man?

There are supplements that contain betaine hydrochloride, which is a source of HCl.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

I like foods and drinks that are dark and bitter -- like my soul.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Dang celiac. Significantly limits what I can drink
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

If anyone is interested in trying it out, the ones that seem to work best for me are Newcastle and Negra Modelo. Neither are technically "bitter ales" but I can't get those in my neck of the woods. I found them plentifully in Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Dang celiac. Significantly limits what I can drink
                        Omission Brewery has a whole line of gluten-free beers.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't like most bitter things, especially beer. I tend to like Hefewiessen (wheat) beer, and can't stand IPAs.
                          I don't even drink black coffee, having to add cream and sweetener to it.

I do like green olives though.

Comment

I don't like most bitter things, especially beer. I tend to like Hefewiessen (wheat) beer, and can't stand IPAs.

Are you saying that IPAs are bitter?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I can't stand Hefewiessen (or Rauchbier, fwiw). I love IPAs (and drink my coffee black & bitter).

sigpic

Comment