Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

What do you like on your toast/bread/sandwich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    where !?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

where !?
      Where the cat is pointing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
        Often for breakfast I like to put some margarine on my toast while it's still warm out of the toaster (so it'll melt properly), and then a light spreading of peanut butter on top of that to make it nice and creamy. But for French toast, I like a light sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg in the batter and then some maple syrup over it after it's cooked. The odd time I have a sandwich, I like me some peanut butter and honey.

What do the rest of you like on your single/double bread formations? (And I can see at least one of you saying you like a "bacon sandwich without the bread" so I had to beat you to it and thereby win the thread. )
        Cheese. Sometimes with tomato. Or sausage. Or………….[drumroll]……bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
          Cheese. Sometimes with tomato. Or sausage. Or………….[drumroll]……bacon.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, bacon. Especially with sausages and some haggis. And scrambled egg.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

What kind of bacon do you think is best?
              Crispy, like we used to get before the war.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                I like to spread real butter on toast when it comes out of the toaster and sprinkle it with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
                That -- REAL butter! When I was a kid, we used oleomargerine, I guess because it was cheaper. ONLY had real butter on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.

I swore when I was out of the house and able to afford it, we would ALWAYS have real butter.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Otherwise, sometimes just gobs of chunky peanut butter -- and I like the toast a little on the "done" side, not just warmed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That -- REAL butter! When I was a kid, we used oleomargerine, I guess because it was cheaper. ONLY had real butter on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.

I swore when I was out of the house and able to afford it, we would ALWAYS have real butter.
                    Same!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Poppy seeds! Lots of poppy seeds. Smothered in them. As long as I don't have to take a drug test.
                      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I've told this story before. When I was a kid, margarine was white and came in little bags, probably holding about a pound. On the side of the bag was a little button with dye, and when you pushed the button the yellow dye was released into the bag of white margarine. It was the job of whichever kid happened to be handy to massage and squeeze and scrunch that bag until the dye was evenly distributed throughout. Then Mom would cut the corner off the bag and squeeze it into a bowl.

Mom couldn't bake with that stuff, since it was hard to measure. So she baked with lard or shortening. I still have her pie crust recipe using lard, and it is better than a butter crust.

Did you know that until 2008 all margarine in Quebec had to be white? Because it was "misleading" to the public, who might think it was butter if it was yellow.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I've told this story before. When I was a kid, margarine was white and came in little bags, probably holding about a pound. On the side of the bag was a little button with dye, and when you pushed the button the yellow dye was released into the bag of white margarine. It was the job of whichever kid happened to be handy to massage and squeeze and scrunch that bag until the dye was evenly distributed throughout. Then Mom would cut the corner off the bag and squeeze it into a bowl.

Mom couldn't bake with that stuff, since it was hard to measure. So she baked with lard or shortening. I still have her pie crust recipe using lard, and it is better than a butter crust.

Did you know that until 2008 all margarine in Quebec had to be white? Because it was "misleading" to the public, who might think it was butter if it was yellow.
                          Yup, and Momma ALWAYS fried chicken in Crisco, and used that in her various pies for the crust.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                            Yes, bacon. Especially with sausages and some haggis. And scrambled egg.
                            Haggis?

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                              Poppy seeds! Lots of poppy seeds. Smothered in them. As long as I don't have to take a drug test.
                              That was a real problem in the early years of drug testing. I don't know if they ever got better.

Comment

Seriously, on toast, mayo, crispy bacon like we used to get before the war, slices of fresh tomato, and liberal sprinkling of fresh ground black pepper and sea salt.

Comment