Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

E-Cigarettes, what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Cigarettes, what's your opinion?

So I recently learned that my college campus banned the use of electric cigarettes from non-smoking areas. I really don't see why they would, but since they're semi-controversial, who knows? My friend enjoys them, so he's not going to be happy.
    So are these things worth getting riled up over?

Originally posted by Theistic-Student View Post
    So I recently learned that my college campus banned the use of electric cigarettes from non-smoking areas. I really don't see why they would, but since they're semi-controversial, who knows? My friend enjoys them, so he's not going to be happy.
    So are these things worth getting riled up over?
    They're probably less dangerous than cigarettes, simply because they're chemically much simpler. Are they safe? The research is still not done.

Comment

I've heard of plenty of smokers switching over to them to help them quit. They can be really useful for this because you can taper off the nicotine you're using. My guess is that they're probably safer than regular cigarettes, but are they completely safe? Like Outis said, the research is still out on it. They're still pretty new.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

They're probably not "safe," but I doubt they're worse than regular cigs.
        Last edited by CMD; 02-20-2014, 11:20 PM.

Comment

The E-Cigarettes/E-Cigars that I've seen and sold here in Canada don't have nicotine in them- the ingredients are water, glycerin and flavorings- so it's basically inhaling flavored water vapors. Whether or not that alone is unhealthy, I haven't checked... it would depend what's in the flavorings.

My take on them? Well, that depends. If they're helping you quit, that's one thing. Otherwise, you're just trading one addiction for another and not dealing with the root cause.
          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I used them as a "step down," on my way to quitting. There really isn't a way to compare a real cigarrette's chemicals to anything. There are 5-6 inhaled ingredients in an e-cigarette vs 250 carcinogens in a real cigarette. The person on the end of an e-cigarette receives steam. My belief is that they do honestly help quit the full carcinogen while helping out in a relatively safe way. The chemicals they use are food grade (just purchase the correct versions please) so its probably better than the real thing.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
              They're probably less dangerous than cigarettes, simply because they're chemically much simpler. Are they safe? The research is still not done.
              Not to mention that the users aren't inhaling smoke. I would think that alone would make them safer

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

All sounds good, but as some of you said, the research isn't complete so I guess college and university campuses are simply playing it safe. I've tried them once and they seemed alright, but nothing I would want to make a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                  My take on them? Well, that depends. If they're helping you quit, that's one thing. Otherwise, you're just trading one addiction for another and not dealing with the root cause.
                  True. True good sir.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Not to mention that the users aren't inhaling smoke. I would think that alone would make them safer
                    Well considering that you can be treated for smoke inhalation and not treated for inhalation of H2O vapor....um yeah
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It seems a bit odd that people who switched to using e-cigarettes out of health concerns of inhaling smoke now have to use them in locations where there will be 2nd hand smoke.
                      "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X