Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Healthy Smoothies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy Smoothies

OK, so about a year ago, I got us one of those Nutri-Bullet things. I think most people use them one or two times, then put them in the cupboard, or regift them.

However, EVERY weekday morning, and many Saturdays, I make Mrs CP and I a batch of smoothie that tastes pretty durn good, and contains....

A combination of baby spinach, baby kale, and chard
    A good handful of almonds
    One (or two) portion(s) of Yoplait Light Stawberry or Blueberry yogurt
    A generous cup of frozen triple berry fruit (dark cherry, blackberry, blueberry)
    about a heaping tablespoon of finely ground organic flax seed
    about a half cup chilled water (from the fridge dispenser)
    one whole banana (two if they're small)

BESIDES BACON, what else would you add or substitute?
    What would give the most bang for the buck, realizing that I'm already making a batch that nearly fills two 16 oz plastic cups
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'd substitute milk for the water. IF you could talk me into drinking the thing... which you can't. Smoothies just don't do much for me.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm not a smoothie kind of guy, but I'm not going to sit there and chew a bunch of kale, spinach, nuts, and stuff....

It's really not a bad drink -- I actually look forward to it. I've thought about milk, but my wife isn't a milk fan.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, since it's gonna be buried under all the other stuff, the milk will actually only enhance flavor and texture - I doubt you can taste it. Besides, it has yogurt - You didn't tell her where yogurt comes from, did you?

The only other things that come to mind are vanilla extract or some other extract (banana or berry? Something that would compliment, obviously) or substituting peaches (any soft, solid fruit) for the banana.

Come to think of it, a peach/nectarine version might be pretty good...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          OK, so about a year ago, I got us one of those Nutri-Bullet things. I think most people use them one or two times, then put them in the cupboard, or regift them.

However, EVERY weekday morning, and many Saturdays, I make Mrs CP and I a batch of smoothie that tastes pretty durn good, and contains....

A generous cup of frozen triple berry fruit (dark cherry, blackberry, blueberry)

What would give the most bang for the buck, realizing that I'm already making a batch that nearly fills two 16 oz plastic cups
          My usual smoothie combo was (... I need to get back into this, really...)
          -A Banana
          -Handful of Spinach
          -Some Milk (usually just under cup and a half)
          -Scoop of Whey Protein Powder
          -Handful of Walnuts
          -Tablespoon of Cocoa Powder
          -A couple spoonfuls of Plain Balkan Style Yogurt

The most expensive things in my list are the Protein Powder (Runs you about $35 if you can find some decent stuff) and the Milk ($5 for a Gallon of 3%... Blame the Dairy Board). Everything else was under $5 a container.
          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
            My usual smoothie combo was (... I need to get back into this, really...)
            -A Banana
            -Handful of Spinach
            -Some Milk (usually just under cup and a half)
            -Scoop of Whey Protein Powder
            -Handful of Walnuts
            -Tablespoon of Cocoa Powder
            -A couple spoonfuls of Plain Balkan Style Yogurt

The most expensive things in my list are the Protein Powder (Runs you about $35 if you can find some decent stuff) and the Milk ($5 for a Gallon of 3%... Blame the Dairy Board). Everything else was under $5 a container.
            I'd really encourage you to get back to it - not only is it good for you, but I find myself less tempted by donuts and snacky stuff before lunch.

Comment

I think the key to this (keys, maybe) is to force yourself to do it for a couple weeks to make it a habit, but find a tool (nutri-bullet or whatever) that works for you.... gotta be easy to use, clean, and reuse.

Comment

smoothie cups.jpg

Comment

If you take vitamins and stuff, I wonder what it would be like if you crushed them up and put them in the smoothies?

And can I make smoothies in a regular blender? I also love frozen lemonade and want to experiment with that.

Comment

maybe pineapple with the banana instead of the berries?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      maybe pineapple with the banana instead of the berries?
                      It might taste better, but would the health benefit be better?

Comment

It might taste better, but would the health benefit be better?
                        more fiber from the pineapple.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          more fiber from the pineapple.
                          True - the berries supposedly have cancer fighting qualities - I'll check out pineapple - I love it on my pizza

Comment

You might instead of the yoplait yogurt, try plain yogurt and add a little local honey or stevia instead. If you want to vary the flavor, add peanut butter sometime. I wouldn't add milk, that'd spoil. Try Ice instead of water. or Thicken it like ice cream and try nothing at all. It sounds like a great power packed start. Over here I start my mornings with a cup of fruit and two eggs. I always try to include berries in my fruit.
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I use Chobani 4% Plain Greek yogurt. Higher fat yogurt is supposedly better for you than the no-fat stuff, I've read. Cabot makes a 10% milk fat yogurt, but that's just overkill for me. My supermarket sells frozen dark sweet cherries by themselves. They're a bit pricey, but I have found them amazing for flavoring green smoothies. No bitterness. And, yes on pineapple. Fresh pineapple. It's very good for you!

I also use a whey protein powder. Mine is vanilla flavored. Adds another level of smoothness and flavor. And, I use almond or coconut milk instead of dairy.

When I was juicing, I never made a juice without pineapple, cucumber, lime, and ginger. No matter what else you put I. There, these were the magic ingredients to make it tasty, I found.
                              sigpic
                              "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X