Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Heat Exhaustion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Exhaustion

I think I might have had heat exhaustion for the first time today.

I was helping a friend move, and of course it was 90+ outside all day. Took about 5 hours, and I headed home thinking that I'd had a good day of work, gotten some good exercise, and now I could go home and just chill off. Not exactly....

It probably took about an hour for the headache to hit, and about two hours for it to really hit. I spent the better part of three hours just laying on my bed with a pillow over my face trying to get over the hellish headache. I have never experienced anything like this. It was horrible.

I'm feeling fine now, and as I look up the symptoms of heat exhaustion the sites are suggesting that if the symptoms don't improve within about 30 minutes, you should go to the hospital. Yeah, definitely didn't feel better within 30 minutes. I've felt better when I've had the flu.

At the time I thought I'd gotten enough to drink, but I clearly hadn't. I am definitely going to be more careful in the future.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Glad you are feeling better and that it wasn't heat stroke!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Happened to me 2 or 3 times in Basic at Lackland Air Force base in San Antonio. We had a week of what they call "black flag" days. Days where the temps climbed over 90 degrees. Couple other guys felt it too, but I think I felt it the hardest. Vomiting, headache, exhaustion. Second time it happened, they put me in an air conditioned room, and put me on a saline drip. It was like heaven...until they told me I had to go back out there once I was feeling better. Heat exhaustion is a pretty serious thing. I don't think my cold Germanic blood was ever intended for such high, close of the equator, temps.

Comment

It can happen to me very easily. I don't sweat a lot naturally, so I have to be mindful of outdoor temperatures and bring at least a qt of water on a 2 mile walk. More than that and I need 2 quarts. I also have to be mindful because seizure medicines and my antidepressants prevent natural water exchange, which make my body temp go up easily. So while I can tolerate 1-2 hours in high heat thats my limit unless I'm sitting in the shade or in the water. The first sign is a severe headache.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm glad you're okay - but DON'T JUST LAY THERE WHEN YOU'RE IN THAT MUCH PAIN!!!!! Pain is your body's way of screaming for help - so get it the help it needs!

I've had several acquaintances DIE of heat stroke/heat exhaustion over the years. It AIN'T safe to muck around like that.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            I'm glad you're okay - but DON'T JUST LAY THERE WHEN YOU'RE IN THAT MUCH PAIN!!!!! Pain is your body's way of screaming for help - so get it the help it needs!

I've had several acquaintances DIE of heat stroke/heat exhaustion over the years. It AIN'T safe to muck around like that.
            Honestly, I think I was in too much pain to do anything else. Just didn't know it was that potentially bad. Edit: at the time
            Last edited by Zymologist; 06-28-2015, 04:30 PM.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Okay - but now you know...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X