Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Artificial Sweetners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Sweetners

Anybody here ever have problems with artificial sweetners? I'm wondering because I'm sensitive to them, and with diabetes in the family I kind of want to not have to use them if I should develop diabetes. So, if you've used alternatives, I'd like to know.

This intolerance seems to be genetic in my case - one of my brothers has the same problem.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

I think it is the blue packet that has Aspartame. I avoid aspartame.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/DOCKETS/dai...emc-000196.txt

Aspartame Toxicity Information Center
    12 East Side Dr., Suite 2-18
    Concord, NH 03301
    603-225-2110

1. Formaldehyde Exposure. The formaldehyde exposure from aspartame
    is significant. Aspartame breaks down into methanol, amino acids
    and several other chemicals. The methanol is quickly absorbed and
    converted into formaldehyde. The methanol found in foods and
    alcoholic beverages is also absorbed, but there are "protective
    chemicals" in these traditionally-ingested foods and beverages that
    prevent the conversion of methanol to formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde is known to cause gradual damage to the nervous system,
    the immune system and has recently been shown to cause irreversible
    genetic damage at long-term, low-level exposure.

The most recent, independent research shows that the situation
    related to aspartame may be more serious than simply regular
    formaldehyde exposure. This research on animals demonstrates
    that the formaldehyde appears to accumulate as adducts (bound to
    protein molecules) in the organs and tissues of the animals (when
    aspartame is ingested at relatively low doses):

"These are indeed extremely high levels for adducts of
    formaldehyde, a substance responsible for chronic deleterious
    effects that has also been considered carcinogenic.
    "It is concluded that aspartame consumption may constitute a
    hazard because of its contribution to the formation of
    formaldehyde adducts."
    [Life Sciences (scientific journal), Vol. 63, No. 5, pp. 337+,
    1998]
    I am become death...

Comment

Because of the constant controversy over artificial sweeteners, I avoid them totally.

Even when you find something "good", you can find lots of articles challenging the "goodness" of whatever the new artificial sweetener is.

But then, again, I'm so sweet all I need to do is dip my finger in a drink, and it's sweetened enough to drink.

(I'll use a bit of honey if I want to sweeten my tea)

(not that I drink tea, cause tea is for sissies!)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You can get a sweetener called Nectresse that is made from Monk Fruit and it supposed to be all natural:

http://www.monkfruit.org/

Comment

I am a diabetic, and my numbers are fairly good with just using Splenda. All of my other blood work is fine too.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I am a diabetic, and my numbers are fairly good with just using Splenda. All of my other blood work is fine too.
            It doesn't have the side effect of making you a liberal?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Nah. liberals are all "organic, no GMO, blah blah blah"

Comment

I use Splenda because it's the only one I've found without sodium.

Good buy at Costco.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Splenda is awesome... I was reading the other day that artificial sweeteners can actually change the bacteria in our guts and make us more vulnerable to diabetes ironically
                  "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

I've tried Splenda very cautiously. But I've discovered that drinks like V8 Splash, which I really really like, have Splenda, and I have had some, er, strong digestive reaction to those drinks. I don't know how to tell if it's the Splenda or something else causing it.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Swipe a couple of packets from a restaurant or such and try them in your tea or whatever. That might tell you if the reaction is from the Splenda.......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Not even in the slightest.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          I've tried Splenda very cautiously. But I've discovered that drinks like V8 Splash, which I really really like, have Splenda, and I have had some, er, strong digestive reaction to those drinks. I don't know how to tell if it's the Splenda or something else causing it.
                          Do you mean... gas.gif
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Not even in the slightest.
                            Amen

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Swipe a couple of packets from a restaurant or such.....
                              Mossy. Is. Encouraging. Theft?!!?!!!!1!!eleventy-one!!1! smiley hair-fire.gif

Looks up on to top of nearest hill

4FourHorsemen.gif

Figured as much

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X