Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migraines

I believe I've begun to experience occasional migraines at this stage in my life. Does anybody else deal with them? How do you handle them?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I believe I've begun to experience occasional migraines at this stage in my life. Does anybody else deal with them? How do you handle them?
    I've been getting them since I was in the third grade. Only thing that really helps me, when they come on, is my prescription sumatriptan.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

I don't have "migraines" per se, but I have constant headaches. I basically just have to deal with them most of the time. When they get really bad I can take a certain medicine(works wonders, but can only take it 3 times a week, so more bad headaches than that in a week, and well ). I can't remember the name, they stopped officially making it anyway. You have to get it compounded. Best headache medicine I've ever had though. Don't understand why they don't make it anymore.

Comment

Just started muddling through one yesterday, as it happens. Unpleasant things.

As far as handling them, I'd say it depends on the type of migraine you get. I used to get "icepick" migraines when I was younger and handling them meant prescription medication (Darvocet worked for me). Today, most of my migraines involve disorientation, auras, mood alterations and some weird synergy with narcolepsy that makes my brain feel like it's sparking when I go to sleep it off. Imitrex works to reduce the duration of the migraine symptoms, in these cases.

I have a friend who suffers migraines on a daily basis (in the 7-9.8 range on the pain scale) and she's got the basic advice down to a science:

1) Know your medications and have them handy
        2) Understand your migraine triggers, if they exist
        3) Have a clear plan to deal with the migraine in different situations
        4) Let friends and family know what your symptoms, triggers and medications are

(4) is often less thought-out than 1-3 but I think it's very important, especially if your migraine symptoms extend past (or don't include) pain. My close friends and family know that I sometimes have migraine-related aphasia, for example, and they sometimes catch an upcoming episode before I've figured it out myself.

And, of course, ask your doctor if you haven't done so yet. A prescription for Imitrex, if appropriate for your situation, can be worth a gold ingot.

—Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

You might look into visiting a chiropractor. I know that my chiropractor, for example, has told me that he's had patients with horrific migraines who visited him, only for the migraines to go away after a few adjustments.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I get migraines about once very third to fourth month, more often if I don't get enough sleep. I usually take ibuprofen 600 mg (yeah, I don't take medication specifically for migraines ) I as soon as I notice the aura (which in my case is called scintillating scotoma, I think) which usually means I'm fine, as long as I stay in bed for the rest of the day. If I don't take the ibuprofen I usually develop a rather nasty headache and nausea, to the point where I'll vomit.

I've noticed that I tend to get migraines more often when I don't get enough sleep, or when I'm eating badly.

Comment

Hm...what does this aura look like? I get what I thought were just nasty sinus headaches once in a while, and things sometimes look funny-hazy.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I noticed Chrawnus's mention of the scintillating scotoma, and looked it up. Wikipedia had some pictures demonstrating the effect. Are they accurate?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma
                Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-30-2015, 10:33 PM. Reason: Derp.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I get them upon occasion. One rizamelt (Rizatriptan). An hour or so later bye bye migraine.
                  Two of my brothers also get them (one gets about 15 a month and he had the Rizatriptan injections.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    I noticed Chrawnus's mention of the scintillating scotoma, and looked it up. Wikipedia had some pictures demonstrating the effect. Are they accurate?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma
                    Sort of. I actually "self-diagnosed" the type of aura I get by comparing what I see vs the pictures on the wiki site, especially these three pictures:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Aura_ss.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rpretation.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ng_scotoma.gif

My aura tend to resemble the one in the third picture the most, except it comes with the colors of the first one. It's not an exact fit, but it's close enough that I can say with quite a degree of certainty that it's what I have.

Comment

Thanks for the info, all.

I had one this afternoon. I detected the onset fairly early, because I was struggling to read and suddenly exhausted, so I took a pill right away, and took a two-hour nap and woke up as if nothing had happened.

Oddly enough, I've noticed they only seem to happen in the late afternoon for me. I've heard it said I should start taking a migraine diary every day of the things I do so I can try to pin down a common cause.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Thanks for the info, all.

I had one this afternoon. I detected the onset fairly early, because I was struggling to read and suddenly exhausted, so I took a pill right away, and took a two-hour nap and woke up as if nothing had happened.

Oddly enough, I've noticed they only seem to happen in the late afternoon for me. I've heard it said I should start taking a migraine diary every day of the things I do so I can try to pin down a common cause.
                        Not to be dopey but I assume you've ruled out eyesight as a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                          Not to be dopey but I assume you've ruled out eyesight as a problem.
                          I haven't considered it actually...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X