Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Brown Rice and Arsenic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Rice and Arsenic?

I recently learned in a thread her that there is a problem of inorganic Arsenic in Brown Rice. That would be Arsenic that is taken up from the soil that is not natural, but likely added to the soil over the years as a herbicide and pesticide for previous crops like tobacco and cotton. Apparently this may be taken up by rice crops particularly rice grown in southern USA. On the web I found several suggestions for greatly reducing the potential for reducing this source of arsenic in your diet. It is true that a small amount of arsenic is naturally everywhere including groundwater, but this low amount of arsenic is not found to be harmful. Recently EPA studies have shown elevated levels of inorganic Arsenic in rice.

First, brown rice from California is lower than brown rice from the southern USA, but southern USA is by far the largest producer of brown rice in the USA. Sources indicate that cooking methods are the best way to reduce the content of arsenic in brown rice to below the content in other rice and food products in general. The following is the summary of recommendations from different sources.

(1) Rinse and wash the brown rice thoroughly 6 or more times until the water is clear.
    (20 Cook the rice in water in water at a ratio of one cup rice to six cups of water with one tablespoon cooking oil or butter. Add salt if you chose. Bring to a rapid boil, and then simmer for thirty minutes.
    (3) Drain off the excess water and leave on low flame for ten minutes to dry the rice, turn off and let set until rice has absorbed the excess water.
    (4) Most of the arsenic drains off with the excess water.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Or switch to organic brown rice.
    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Low levels of arsenic are fed to chickens to boost their appetite.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Apple seeds also contain arsenic. I gave up eating apple cores for that reason. My appetite is way too healthy as it is.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I wasn't aware anyone ate apple cores.
          "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
            Or switch to organic brown rice.
            I would need tests on the rice to be certain. Consumer Reports show results that are variable, and some organic brown rice did not show low. Best recommend the better cooking procedure.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-27-2014, 06:15 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
              I wasn't aware anyone ate apple cores.
              Well I don't any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Well I don't any more.
                You've already said that. I think it's strange that anyone would eat apple cores regardless of the arsenic content.

Comment

Well some apples do not have cores that are appealing, others do. Delicious apples have a high level of plastic like junk in them, I never liked those.

I think that to a large degree rejection of apple cores is a learned taste. There may be biological aspects - tossing the core makes more trees possible.

Comment

I believe apple seeds may have high levels of Cyanide.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X