Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Who Wants to Lose Weight With Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Wants to Lose Weight With Me?

So I'm into losing my unwanted fat, getting in shape, feeling better and being healthier...anyone want to join me? The being full of energy and feeling way better part is kind of drag, but you know how it is, always a down side to everything

I started last Nov. 19th at 230 lbs. I'm 6'2". I'm currently at 194 and may want to get down to 180. The first 20 pounds came off in a month. Lately, it's been reduced to a crawl, but that's what I have read almost everywhere...the body does not like to give up that final 10 or 15.

I'm doing a low carb diet, with exercise. I drink bullet proof coffee for breakfast. Ever hear of that? The stuff is super healthy and gets your metabolism off to a fast start.

So...who's in or wants to learn more or just add their own experience and knowledge here? I want to talk about it and encourage anyone who finds it tough.

I started using myfitnesspal last year, and it did help me lose 10lb I think. I think my activity level rose though, and the desire to lose weight waned, so I haven't lost anything for several months. Working on that bit, want to lose another 20. I think just 10 more would move me out of the overweight BMI catagory.

I suspect my nightly ration of rum is not helping.
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
      An old friend's voice is ringing in my head. Think sing-song Irish accent - "Empty Calories!!"

I've been using livestrong's myplate app for a while now. I'm 6'0", at 206lb now, lost 15lbs since Nov. Shooting for 185. Daily diet tracking (every calorie!) and exercise (5%-10% incline treadmill walking or recumbent bike, plus weight routine) are my preferred methods.

I'll happily post regularly in this thread if it helps motivate!
      Your ability to find the silly in the serious will take you far.

Comment

I'm pregnant. I shouldn't be losing weight until after the baby's born This is the one time in life when I'm supposed to gain.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          I'm pregnant. I shouldn't be losing weight until after the baby's born This is the one time in life when I'm supposed to gain.
          Oh go eat some pizza.

Comment

I'm not in the market for losing weight. Already petite. But I sure do love exercise and I am a dancer that at least tries to keep up her flexibility when she's floating between classes. Keeping it lean and flexible.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by Alcoth View Post
              An old friend's voice is ringing in my head. Think sing-song Irish accent - "Empty Calories!!"
              I make sure to count the calories, and if I know I'm going to go over, I skip out on the vegetables so as to keep the rum. Gotta have priorities.

I'm trying hard at work to get up once/hour and walk down the hallway. I really oughta make an excuse to go up the three flights of stairs instead. I've noticed there are a handful of people who have converted their desks from ones you sit at to ones you stand at. Not sure that would help burn calories as much as promote posture. I'd contemplate that if I had more desk space, and could have both kinds of desks--I'd think my feet would get tired too quickly. But to be able to alternate during the day?

Comment

I make sure to count the calories, and if I know I'm going to go over, I skip out on the vegetables so as to keep the rum. Gotta have priorities.

I'm trying hard at work to get up once/hour and walk down the hallway. I really oughta make an excuse to go up the three flights of stairs instead. I've noticed there are a handful of people who have converted their desks from ones you sit at to ones you stand at. Not sure that would help burn calories as much as promote posture. I'd contemplate that if I had more desk space, and could have both kinds of desks--I'd think my feet would get tired too quickly. But to be able to alternate during the day?
                Spring for one of those recumbent bike desk combos

Comment

Walked for 30 minutes total today during breaks at work instead of sitting at the coffee stand, ~160 cal.

Comment

I started using myfitnesspal last year, and it did help me lose 10lb I think. I think my activity level rose though, and the desire to lose weight waned, so I haven't lost anything for several months. Working on that bit, want to lose another 20. I think just 10 more would move me out of the overweight BMI catagory.

Hey supton...welcome aboard. And a shout out to the rest of you, whom I plan to respond to. I don't know what a fitnesspal is, but whatever works huh? Yeah, if the interest wanes...it's pretty much curtains.

We can all lose focus, get into something else and forget about our health. As a Christian I might rationalize by saying "bodily exercise profits little..." (that's a verse for those who don't know). On the other hand, the body is also the temple of the Holy Spirit for Christians.

I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired. Or fat and tired. I was in a rut and ruts are hard to get out of, because we get so used to our props that we shudder at living without our pizza or our rum. Not that we can't eat or drink those things, but they tend to take over, define us as people. And we wear them around everyday and often feel pretty crappy being too heavy on our feet.

I will have more to say...just popped in from work...to grab a quick kale smoothie....it's really good BTW.

But lets go people...lets get in shape!!! It's great to feel better....sleep better...wake up better

Comment

myfitnesspal is an app. I have it on my iPad, wife has it on her iPod. It uses the camera as a bar code scanner, so if you buy Twinkies it makes it easy to enter them in. Wifey will make soup or a meal, enter in everything that she put into it, then tell it how many portions it as, and voila! we have entered in a home-cooked meal. It also has an exercise spot where you can enter in what you did, and it will tell you how many calories it was. [Not that it's 100%, but it's better than guessing on calorie burn.]

Small changes over time seem to work well. Although, just before Thanksgiving I gave up all sugar to see if it would fix an issue I was having. Afterwards I lost quite a bit of my sweet tooth. I've started eating various forms of sugar again, so I know it's an easy thing to pick back up; but cold turkey for a season, while hard, might yield some change too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alcoth View Post

I've been using livestrong's myplate app for a while now. I'm 6'0", at 206lb now, lost 15lbs since Nov. Shooting for 185. Daily diet tracking (every calorie!) and exercise (5%-10% incline treadmill walking or recumbent bike, plus weight routine) are my preferred methods.

I'll happily post regularly in this thread if it helps motivate!
                        You are happily requested to post often in here so you can encourage me. Sounds like you got something good going. Whats your daily meal plan look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          Hi ya Cath! If you were on a diet, which kind do you prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                            I'm not in the market for losing weight. Already petite. But I sure do love exercise and I am a dancer that at least tries to keep up her flexibility when she's floating between classes. Keeping it lean and flexible.
                            Hi there tiny dancer So besides the exercise from dancing, how do stay so fit?

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                              Hi there tiny dancer So besides the exercise from dancing, how do stay so fit?
                              I try to keep my exercise pretty varied. I took an aerobics class in college and learned a thing or two. I run occasionally as there's a trail close by my house. Got my little weights, too. Ha. I also avoid soda and I don't really eat a lot of sweets. Really, unless I've baked (and I do like baking), I don't eat them at all! Prepackaged just isn't as good as something I've made with my hands.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X