Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Who Wants to Lose Weight With Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Whole grain products when compared to refined grain products like white flour is similar to comparing sweet potatoes with white potatoes. Whole grain products and sweet potatoes contain complex carbohydrates, low glycemic, and are high in fiber which results in long term conversion to sugar and nutrients in your body. White flour and potatoes are high glycemic, and convert to sugar very quickly in your body. Check labels of things like bread and buy only 100% whole grain products.

Black beans, and many other beans are great for your diet, and with whole grain products are good balanced protein sources. It is good to vary the beans and whole grain products.

Do you have any issues with Gluten?
    No gluten issues. But I doubt I will bring much or wheat back in to diet. Well I hope you keep getting better. Are you trying to get in shape too...or are you mainly interested in controlling the type 2 alone?

Leave a comment:

• princesa
    replied
    Hi GoBahnsen, no not really except for the 5 winter pounds maybe. I felt drawn to respond on the nutrition being discussed as that has been something I've had to change very recently.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
    good thing you changed. Your previous diet could have been a big factor for the type 2 onset. So are you feeling better after cutting out the sugary stuff? People forget that a lot of sugar can come from eating natural foods. Tell me about the whole grain products.
    Whole grain products when compared to refined grain products like white flour is similar to comparing sweet potatoes with white potatoes. Whole grain products and sweet potatoes contain complex carbohydrates, low glycemic, and are high in fiber which results in long term conversion to sugar and nutrients in your body. White flour and potatoes are high glycemic, and convert to sugar very quickly in your body. Check labels of things like bread and buy only 100% whole grain products.

Black beans, and many other beans are great for your diet, and with whole grain products are good balanced protein sources. It is good to vary the beans and whole grain products.

Do you have any issues with Gluten?
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    I think the banana was a good experiment. I felt a little more balanced out....I think. Tonight I reintroduced some black beans. I think I want to move up from 20 carbs a day to about 50. Just watch it and see what it does. I will report my findings in here as the days go by. Isn't this exciting? Not

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by princesa View Post
    also have been more mindful of food product purchases and ingredients. I get whole grain (not necessarily whole wheat), brown rice which is new in the cupboards and has been there for a bit, I'll be buying whole flaxseed to grind this weekend as i hear it's packed with nutrition and you can sprinkle it on anything. Same with turmeric. Kale is my new staple. I tried raw agave but i'm having a hard time replacing my white sugar as i only use it for coffee but am accustomed to it being very sweet and i haven't acquired the taste for it yet.
    Hi princesa. So are you trying to lose weight? Or maybe you posted previously and I haven't read it yet.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    I have been getting better. My diet was generally no red meat moderate to high protein (sea fish), and high in vegetables and fruit. I did eat some fruit juice, potatoes, corn products, white flour products, white pasta, and some white rice. My sugar intake was low but irregular. I changed my diet to no white flour products, sugar, corn, white rice, potatoes and fruit juice. I reduced the amount of fruit I ate greatly, and upped the protein (some chicken and turkey, mostly sea fish.) and vegetables. I only consume whole grain products.
    good thing you changed. Your previous diet could have been a big factor for the type 2 onset. So are you feeling better after cutting out the sugary stuff? People forget that a lot of sugar can come from eating natural foods. Tell me about the whole grain products.

Leave a comment:

• princesa
    replied
    also have been more mindful of food product purchases and ingredients. I get whole grain (not necessarily whole wheat), brown rice which is new in the cupboards and has been there for a bit, I'll be buying whole flaxseed to grind this weekend as i hear it's packed with nutrition and you can sprinkle it on anything. Same with turmeric. Kale is my new staple. I tried raw agave but i'm having a hard time replacing my white sugar as i only use it for coffee but am accustomed to it being very sweet and i haven't acquired the taste for it yet.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Ok, so maybe I have a lot to learn here. You're saying your diet wasn't to blame, that it was generally good. And you exercised.

Can I ask you what "generally good" looked like? Because the diet prescribed by one of the big "associations" (at least in the past) had way too much sugar in it. Some medical doctors have become more health savvy and realized the ADA was making diabetics sicker and keeping them on big pharma drugs.

But I'm open to learning here. Hope you get better.

I'm having my first banana in 2.5 months. I just felt like I needed some carbs. We'll see if it puts me into a weight loss stall.
    I have been getting better. My diet was generally no red meat moderate to high protein (sea fish), and high in vegetables and fruit. I did eat some fruit juice, potatoes, corn products, white flour products, white pasta, and some white rice. My sugar intake was low but irregular. I changed my diet to no white flour products, sugar, corn, white rice, potatoes and fruit juice. I reduced the amount of fruit I ate greatly, and upped the protein (some chicken and turkey, mostly sea fish.) and vegetables. I only consume whole grain products.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Starting about 6 years ago I began to be considered marginal to Diabetes type 2 by the Doctor based on blood tests. my diet was generally good and I had a good exercise routine, and good health. I was put on Metformin. Over time I experience a slight weight gain, 185 up to 205, not obese, but above my normal by 10 to 20 pounds over time. and blood sugar tests remained marginal to Diabetes. In 2011, tests began to show symptoms of Diabetes, and sugar levels above the range of normal, os I assumed a more rigid high protein diet, no whites, my weight dropped 20 pounds over time and my blood tests dropped well into normal ranges. The diagnosis was progressive Diabetes type 2 cause of aging. There were several members of my family that had the same condition. My father and grandmother. I also have a high level of heart problems among males in my family, my father and older brother, had open heart surgery in their late forties, my older brother died at 54. My uncle died at 48 from a heart attack. I had high cholesterol in my forties treated with liptor, high blood pressure in my early fifties treated with drugs. My diet and exercise in this period was very good. Last year in March I was diagnosed with angina and had a stint put in in April. My health and weight is ok and stable at 175 - 180 for 6' 0". I am 67.
    Ok, so maybe I have a lot to learn here. You're saying your diet wasn't to blame, that it was generally good. And you exercised.

Can I ask you what "generally good" looked like? Because the diet prescribed by one of the big "associations" (at least in the past) had way too much sugar in it. Some medical doctors have become more health savvy and realized the ADA was making diabetics sicker and keeping them on big pharma drugs.

But I'm open to learning here. Hope you get better.

I'm having my first banana in 2.5 months. I just felt like I needed some carbs. We'll see if it puts me into a weight loss stall.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Thanks for posting shuny. Is your's type 2? Is it because of some defective organ or was it brought on by diet? If it's the latter, I don't know why they ever labeled it diabetes. Do you? From all I have read it is totally reversible. So it's not like a disease or cancer, it just too much sugar running around in the blood.

And the sad thing is that big Pharma is right there to offer drugs, so people can continue eating pretzels and stay on the couch. Of course there always are exceptions where drug intervention is the only answer and I'm not talking about that.

So how is it going for ya as you work on bringing your diabetes under control? I found that as I went about losing weight thru the low carb route, that I actually like the process, the food menu. Yet I still get sad that I can't tear into a bag of chips and have a few beers at times. But I'm getting used to not being able to that. It takes time. A life long smoker isn't going to just waltz away from those cancer sticks.

Have a strong day my friend.
    Starting about 6 years ago I began to be considered marginal to Diabetes type 2 by the Doctor based on blood tests. my diet was generally good and I had a good exercise routine, and good health. I was put on Metformin. Over time I experience a slight weight gain, 185 up to 205, not obese, but above my normal by 10 to 20 pounds over time. and blood sugar tests remained marginal to Diabetes. In 2011, tests began to show symptoms of Diabetes, and sugar levels above the range of normal, os I assumed a more rigid high protein diet, no whites, my weight dropped 20 pounds over time and my blood tests dropped well into normal ranges. The diagnosis was progressive Diabetes type 2 cause of aging. There were several members of my family that had the same condition. My father and grandmother. I also have a high level of heart problems among males in my family, my father and older brother, had open heart surgery in their late forties, my older brother died at 54. My uncle died at 48 from a heart attack. I had high cholesterol in my forties treated with liptor, high blood pressure in my early fifties treated with drugs. My diet and exercise in this period was very good. Last year in March I was diagnosed with angina and had a stint put in in April. My health and weight is ok and stable at 175 - 180 for 6' 0". I am 67.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Hey Sparko...how you feeling these days, health wise? everything good?

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You can control type 2 diabetes with diet, and keep off the meds sometimes, but it is still there once triggered and doesn't get "cured"
    Well I suppose in some sense nothing is cured, since we all get worse off and finally die from it. But if it's controlled, then call it what you want. I'd say those who control it well into old age, were pretty much cured of it.

How's your health these days?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Gosh Sparko...welcome to the world of health and medical "science"...it's as diverse as theological views, is it not? I'm no expert so I won't argue with you. From all the reading I have done, practically everyone who has been on meds and eating the medical establishments diet for type 2 (which makes people sicker), when they switch to lower carbs and start moving their bodies around, they can come off all their meds.

But I do not doubt for a minute that the medical establishment wants it labeled a disease and wants people on drugs for life. I watched my parents die from it as they sat in front of their TV set drinking orange juice and eating toast. My brother has no legs from it. I suppose I had it, but didn't go to the doctor. I'm just avoiding anything that is known to trigger insulin in high amounts.

I'm improving in everyway right now. When I get to my goal weight I plan on getting my blood work done...see where I stand.

How bout you Sparko...how are you doing health wise? Thnx for posting
    You can control type 2 diabetes with diet, and keep off the meds sometimes, but it is still there once triggered and doesn't get "cured"

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    um type II is not reversable. once it triggers you are left with it for life. It is a disease like any other.
    Gosh Sparko...welcome to the world of health and medical "science"...it's as diverse as theological views, is it not? I'm no expert so I won't argue with you. From all the reading I have done, practically everyone who has been on meds and eating the medical establishments diet for type 2 (which makes people sicker), when they switch to lower carbs and start moving their bodies around, they can come off all their meds.

But I do not doubt for a minute that the medical establishment wants it labeled a disease and wants people on drugs for life. I watched my parents die from it as they sat in front of their TV set drinking orange juice and eating toast. My brother has no legs from it. I suppose I had it, but didn't go to the doctor. I'm just avoiding anything that is known to trigger insulin in high amounts.

I'm improving in everyway right now. When I get to my goal weight I plan on getting my blood work done...see where I stand.

How bout you Sparko...how are you doing health wise? Thnx for posting

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    um type II is not reversable. once it triggers you are left with it for life. It is a disease like any other.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X