Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Who Wants to Lose Weight With Me?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
    Ok, so maybe I have a lot to learn here. You're saying your diet wasn't to blame, that it was generally good. And you exercised.

    Can I ask you what "generally good" looked like? Because the diet prescribed by one of the big "associations" (at least in the past) had way too much sugar in it. Some medical doctors have become more health savvy and realized the ADA was making diabetics sicker and keeping them on big pharma drugs.

    But I'm open to learning here. Hope you get better.

    I'm having my first banana in 2.5 months. I just felt like I needed some carbs. We'll see if it puts me into a weight loss stall.
    I have been getting better. My diet was generally no red meat moderate to high protein (sea fish), and high in vegetables and fruit. I did eat some fruit juice, potatoes, corn products, white flour products, white pasta, and some white rice. My sugar intake was low but irregular. I changed my diet to no white flour products, sugar, corn, white rice, potatoes and fruit juice. I reduced the amount of fruit I ate greatly, and upped the protein (some chicken and turkey, mostly sea fish.) and vegetables. I only consume whole grain products.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

    Comment


    • #32
      also have been more mindful of food product purchases and ingredients. I get whole grain (not necessarily whole wheat), brown rice which is new in the cupboards and has been there for a bit, I'll be buying whole flaxseed to grind this weekend as i hear it's packed with nutrition and you can sprinkle it on anything. Same with turmeric. Kale is my new staple. I tried raw agave but i'm having a hard time replacing my white sugar as i only use it for coffee but am accustomed to it being very sweet and i haven't acquired the taste for it yet.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I have been getting better. My diet was generally no red meat moderate to high protein (sea fish), and high in vegetables and fruit. I did eat some fruit juice, potatoes, corn products, white flour products, white pasta, and some white rice. My sugar intake was low but irregular. I changed my diet to no white flour products, sugar, corn, white rice, potatoes and fruit juice. I reduced the amount of fruit I ate greatly, and upped the protein (some chicken and turkey, mostly sea fish.) and vegetables. I only consume whole grain products.
        good thing you changed. Your previous diet could have been a big factor for the type 2 onset. So are you feeling better after cutting out the sugary stuff? People forget that a lot of sugar can come from eating natural foods. Tell me about the whole grain products.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by princesa View Post
          also have been more mindful of food product purchases and ingredients. I get whole grain (not necessarily whole wheat), brown rice which is new in the cupboards and has been there for a bit, I'll be buying whole flaxseed to grind this weekend as i hear it's packed with nutrition and you can sprinkle it on anything. Same with turmeric. Kale is my new staple. I tried raw agave but i'm having a hard time replacing my white sugar as i only use it for coffee but am accustomed to it being very sweet and i haven't acquired the taste for it yet.
          Hi princesa. So are you trying to lose weight? Or maybe you posted previously and I haven't read it yet.

          Comment


          • #35
            I think the banana was a good experiment. I felt a little more balanced out....I think. Tonight I reintroduced some black beans. I think I want to move up from 20 carbs a day to about 50. Just watch it and see what it does. I will report my findings in here as the days go by. Isn't this exciting? Not

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
              good thing you changed. Your previous diet could have been a big factor for the type 2 onset. So are you feeling better after cutting out the sugary stuff? People forget that a lot of sugar can come from eating natural foods. Tell me about the whole grain products.
              Whole grain products when compared to refined grain products like white flour is similar to comparing sweet potatoes with white potatoes. Whole grain products and sweet potatoes contain complex carbohydrates, low glycemic, and are high in fiber which results in long term conversion to sugar and nutrients in your body. White flour and potatoes are high glycemic, and convert to sugar very quickly in your body. Check labels of things like bread and buy only 100% whole grain products.

              Black beans, and many other beans are great for your diet, and with whole grain products are good balanced protein sources. It is good to vary the beans and whole grain products.

              Do you have any issues with Gluten?
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

              go with the flow the river knows . . .

              Frank

              I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

              Comment


              • #37
                Hi GoBahnsen, no not really except for the 5 winter pounds maybe. I felt drawn to respond on the nutrition being discussed as that has been something I've had to change very recently.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Whole grain products when compared to refined grain products like white flour is similar to comparing sweet potatoes with white potatoes. Whole grain products and sweet potatoes contain complex carbohydrates, low glycemic, and are high in fiber which results in long term conversion to sugar and nutrients in your body. White flour and potatoes are high glycemic, and convert to sugar very quickly in your body. Check labels of things like bread and buy only 100% whole grain products.

                  Black beans, and many other beans are great for your diet, and with whole grain products are good balanced protein sources. It is good to vary the beans and whole grain products.

                  Do you have any issues with Gluten?
                  No gluten issues. But I doubt I will bring much or wheat back in to diet. Well I hope you keep getting better. Are you trying to get in shape too...or are you mainly interested in controlling the type 2 alone?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by princesa View Post
                    Hi GoBahnsen, no not really except for the 5 winter pounds maybe. I felt drawn to respond on the nutrition being discussed as that has been something I've had to change very recently.
                    Yeah that nutrition field is huge and filled with differing opinions. So many experts, books, opinions. I hope some good discussion happens here.

                    Ever heard of bullet proof coffee?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I have always been generally healthy. I heal quickly, still, and all. But I always had problems with colds. I would get lots of colds all winter. And a cold for me was a serious thing - it would really knock me down. It was what the flu seemed to be like for most folks. At the recommendation of a coworker I began to see a quack doctor. She put me on a high protein, low carb diet - much like the Atkins diet. For a few years I stuck to it like glue. Colds went away. By that I mean a cold was no big deal, and I got them regularly. I am not nearly as fanatic about it these days (these years?) but my resistance to colds is still with me.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                        No gluten issues. But I doubt I will bring much or wheat back in to diet. Well I hope you keep getting better. Are you trying to get in shape too...or are you mainly interested in controlling the type 2 alone?
                        I usually lead an active life, exercise (this winter has been a bit difficult) and still work as a carpenter, my days as a geologist/soil scientist are long gone. The change in my diet was mainly focused on the Diabetes, creeping weight problem, which is apparently resolved for now.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                        go with the flow the river knows . . .

                        Frank

                        I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by princesa View Post
                          also have been more mindful of food product purchases and ingredients. I get whole grain (not necessarily whole wheat), brown rice which is new in the cupboards and has been there for a bit, I'll be buying whole flaxseed to grind this weekend as i hear it's packed with nutrition and you can sprinkle it on anything. Same with turmeric. Kale is my new staple. I tried raw agave but i'm having a hard time replacing my white sugar as i only use it for coffee but am accustomed to it being very sweet and i haven't acquired the taste for it yet.
                          Because of the higher levels of Arsenic in brown rice, I would advice altering the cooking instructions as described in the another thread. This reduces the Arsenic to the normal levels of food and water. Increase the Turmeric by taking 4 to 8 capsules a day, and I always recommend reduce the sugar when ever possible.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                          go with the flow the river knows . . .

                          Frank

                          I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            I usually lead an active life, exercise (this winter has been a bit difficult) and still work as a carpenter, my days as a geologist/soil scientist are long gone. The change in my diet was mainly focused on the Diabetes, creeping weight problem, which is apparently resolved for now.
                            Ok...thanks for sharing.

                            I started upping my carbs yesterday. I had really liked my ketogenic diet for the past couple of months, knowing that my body was forced to use it's own fat for energy. I cleaned out a lot of fat. Part of the bummer though is that the body doesn't care to rid itself of belly fat right away. It prefers to lose weight in your elbows and other "who cares" areas.

                            So I kept on with the 20 grams of carbs a day hoping to see the belly flab disappear. And it makes no difference that I do 5000 crunches a week. My sets are 200 each. The flab is all about diet and it is STUBBORN flab.

                            But I have been feeling kind of off for a couple of weeks, so yesterday I tried a banana and later on, some black beans with dinner. Today I felt stellar! I put some blueberries and a big carrot in my morning smoothie (I'm a kale freak too princesa). I felt even better. I did another carrot in the afternoon and I have felt the best I have in quite a while. Looks like no more super low carb for me. Just lower carbs, but some FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

                            Will report on weight gain or loss or stall out...tomorrow.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Good morning to ya all here on this Friday. So I went to bed with a day of more carbs than I have been for the past couple of months. I noticed that I wasn't as tired last night and could have stayed up later than normal. I had a harder time falling asleep than when I was more in a state of ketosis (I assume I have fallen out of that, but currently have no measuring devices). But after I got to sleep, all went well.

                              I did wake up earlier and tried to go back to sleep but didn't feel like it, so I got up and got the bullet proof coffee going at 5:10. Yesterday I got up a lot later, so this morning's early weigh in is hard to gage in terms of progress.

                              I know I haven't gained and if I have lost, it's not much. That's fine. I just really enjoyed the new level of energy I had yesterday. And my goodness, we are talking carrots folks...a couple of carrots and a third a can of black beans added to my diet.

                              Plus I took out some of the Blue Cheese from my nightly cob salad, so calorie wise, I'm good. I will wait and see how this new tweak in diet goes.

                              At first I had some really energetic days on the super low carb diet, as my body fueled it's self off it's own fat stores, but lately it has gotten less energetic, so I'm ready for a change.

                              Will update. And just for a reality check: I am fully aware that I am merely journaling to myself here and I don't expect anyone to be intensely interested. But someone might be trying ways to lose weight and feel good and get healthier, so comparing notes with each other can be helpful. Thanks for any input you have.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                It's 11:00 here in CA. Kind of a gloomy day. Stopped in for some coffee. Always fun to check the threads. Especially fun as I get older. Anyway, I was hoping for another really stellar day, so I could finally think I had discovered happiness in a concoction I put together in my blender and drink it down. Instead I find myself angry. Yet deeper inside, under the anger, is a happy guy.

                                My wife set me off this morning. Our 19 year old daughter who is on anti-seizure meds and currently hates the family dog so much that if we don't get rid for the 4lb. mutt (yes, just 4 lbs) she may harm herself. My wife wants me to talk to her. I have already. I will talk to her more.

                                What agitates me is when she says to me "this is serious...this isn't a joke." Was I laughing? No. Smiling? No. But wives often want the husband to have all the answers. And we don't.

                                We men are out in the world getting stressed by it's demands and then we come home to be stressed there too. I know some men don't know what I am talking about right now and good for them. Wish I didn't either.

                                Hope it's ok to vent in my own thread. And being on a diet isn't easy either. You can feel mad because you can't have whatever it is... and you know you will be mad if you have it too. You feel like you can't win. But this too shall pass.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Cow Poke, 07-20-2021, 12:55 PM
                                7 responses
                                39 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Machinist, 07-14-2021, 07:21 AM
                                9 responses
                                59 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Sparko
                                by Sparko
                                 
                                Working...
                                X