Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Who Wants to Lose Weight With Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Good morning gang! Well we had a rough night around here. A house divided over a small pet dog. As a result, I did some emotional eating. I pigged out on bacon and cheese. But my weekend was so strong otherwise, that I did lose a pound overall for Saturday and Sunday.

Today I am going get some 7-Keto and try it. It's supposed to be good for us older people because our bodies don't produce enough of the good old things that rev up the metabolism in younger folks. It appears to be safe and is good for a lot more than just weight loss. Right now I am targeting the remaining few pounds of belly flab. Otherwise I wore my smallest waist size jeans yesterday with no problem. So I'm getting there! Feels good to be winning at something in life.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Daily weight is not a reliable indicator. You need to see the longer range trend.
    I know Jed. There are all kinds of factors. Water retention in the muscles from heavy exercise, body composition change, that is fat swapping to muscles, etc. Still...everyone who is losing weight wants to see the scale go down. Even those who say they don't care, really do care. Ok...there probably are some super well-adjusted people who don't care about the scale...

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    [QUOTE=GoBahnsen;9178It looks like I may have lost 2 pounds in one day, but will wait for tomorrow as the dust settles. Try to get some sleep, all of you, tonight and don't let my weight become an obession in your lives. [/QUOTE]

Daily weight is not a reliable indicator. You need to see the longer range trend.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Ok gang...I know you all got up a little early to discover my report on my weight loss after yesterday's giant effort. Well...it's a little confusing. For the first time in a while my two scales (yes I use two, because they tend to be liars and I need the one to keep the other honest) were really at odds with each other.

Normally they weigh me with about a 2 pound difference. So my old friendlier scale had me dropping 2 pounds for my herculian efforts yesterday. The new scale didn't want to give anything at all, so there was a 4 pound spread between them.

I have to fault the new scale for staying stuck on yesterday's weight. It is a weird animal. I put my tee shirt BACK ON this morning and the scale dropped 3 tenths when I became heavier! Oh, that's nice, just add weight to your body if you want the scale to go down...sure, that's logical...I like that.

So that's it folks. The morning excitement is over. It looks like I may have lost 2 pounds in one day, but will wait for tomorrow as the dust settles. Try to get some sleep, all of you, tonight and don't let my weight become an obession in your lives.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    So it's later today and I did do the marathon exercise stuff. I took a smoothie drink that had an apple, whole lemon peeled, one big carrot, safflower oil, fish oil, fresh ground flax, lecithin, blueberries and stevia to sweeten it. Plus ice in it to keep it cold. So I drank that along the trail. After part of the big bike and hike I got some chicken at Trader Joes and had that for protein.

I am having bullet proof coffee right now, and then I'm gonna have another lemon and some carrots and head out on the bike again, just to be insane. I want to see that scale move. I left out my stop at the school yard for pull-ups and push-ups, so I did that too. I feel good.

anybody out there trying to lose or get in shape?

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    So I got into the bacon and cheese after dinner, but still lost weight because I had done enough good to out-weigh the evil. Heading off to a men's fellowship and after that I plan to have a marathon day of calorie expenditure. I am down to 192.5.
    Last edited by GoBahnsen; 02-01-2014, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Blue cheese is the reason for a cob if you goin' to eat a salad.
    Yeah...I know, but if you're trying to lose weight, you have to watch those calories too. I didn't get rid of it, I just cut it back because I added more calories with the black beans.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
    Plus I took out some of the Blue Cheese from my nightly cob salad, so calorie wise, I'm good.
    Blue cheese is the reason for a cob if you goin' to eat a salad.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    It's 11:00 here in CA. Kind of a gloomy day. Stopped in for some coffee. Always fun to check the threads. Especially fun as I get older. Anyway, I was hoping for another really stellar day, so I could finally think I had discovered happiness in a concoction I put together in my blender and drink it down. Instead I find myself angry. Yet deeper inside, under the anger, is a happy guy.

My wife set me off this morning. Our 19 year old daughter who is on anti-seizure meds and currently hates the family dog so much that if we don't get rid for the 4lb. mutt (yes, just 4 lbs) she may harm herself. My wife wants me to talk to her. I have already. I will talk to her more.

What agitates me is when she says to me "this is serious...this isn't a joke." Was I laughing? No. Smiling? No. But wives often want the husband to have all the answers. And we don't.

We men are out in the world getting stressed by it's demands and then we come home to be stressed there too. I know some men don't know what I am talking about right now and good for them. Wish I didn't either.

Hope it's ok to vent in my own thread. And being on a diet isn't easy either. You can feel mad because you can't have whatever it is... and you know you will be mad if you have it too. You feel like you can't win. But this too shall pass.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Good morning to ya all here on this Friday. So I went to bed with a day of more carbs than I have been for the past couple of months. I noticed that I wasn't as tired last night and could have stayed up later than normal. I had a harder time falling asleep than when I was more in a state of ketosis (I assume I have fallen out of that, but currently have no measuring devices). But after I got to sleep, all went well.

I did wake up earlier and tried to go back to sleep but didn't feel like it, so I got up and got the bullet proof coffee going at 5:10. Yesterday I got up a lot later, so this morning's early weigh in is hard to gage in terms of progress.

I know I haven't gained and if I have lost, it's not much. That's fine. I just really enjoyed the new level of energy I had yesterday. And my goodness, we are talking carrots folks...a couple of carrots and a third a can of black beans added to my diet.

Plus I took out some of the Blue Cheese from my nightly cob salad, so calorie wise, I'm good. I will wait and see how this new tweak in diet goes.

At first I had some really energetic days on the super low carb diet, as my body fueled it's self off it's own fat stores, but lately it has gotten less energetic, so I'm ready for a change.

Will update. And just for a reality check: I am fully aware that I am merely journaling to myself here and I don't expect anyone to be intensely interested. But someone might be trying ways to lose weight and feel good and get healthier, so comparing notes with each other can be helpful. Thanks for any input you have.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I usually lead an active life, exercise (this winter has been a bit difficult) and still work as a carpenter, my days as a geologist/soil scientist are long gone. The change in my diet was mainly focused on the Diabetes, creeping weight problem, which is apparently resolved for now.
    Ok...thanks for sharing.

I started upping my carbs yesterday. I had really liked my ketogenic diet for the past couple of months, knowing that my body was forced to use it's own fat for energy. I cleaned out a lot of fat. Part of the bummer though is that the body doesn't care to rid itself of belly fat right away. It prefers to lose weight in your elbows and other "who cares" areas.

So I kept on with the 20 grams of carbs a day hoping to see the belly flab disappear. And it makes no difference that I do 5000 crunches a week. My sets are 200 each. The flab is all about diet and it is STUBBORN flab.

But I have been feeling kind of off for a couple of weeks, so yesterday I tried a banana and later on, some black beans with dinner. Today I felt stellar! I put some blueberries and a big carrot in my morning smoothie (I'm a kale freak too princesa). I felt even better. I did another carrot in the afternoon and I have felt the best I have in quite a while. Looks like no more super low carb for me. Just lower carbs, but some FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Will report on weight gain or loss or stall out...tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by princesa View Post
    also have been more mindful of food product purchases and ingredients. I get whole grain (not necessarily whole wheat), brown rice which is new in the cupboards and has been there for a bit, I'll be buying whole flaxseed to grind this weekend as i hear it's packed with nutrition and you can sprinkle it on anything. Same with turmeric. Kale is my new staple. I tried raw agave but i'm having a hard time replacing my white sugar as i only use it for coffee but am accustomed to it being very sweet and i haven't acquired the taste for it yet.
    Because of the higher levels of Arsenic in brown rice, I would advice altering the cooking instructions as described in the another thread. This reduces the Arsenic to the normal levels of food and water. Increase the Turmeric by taking 4 to 8 capsules a day, and I always recommend reduce the sugar when ever possible.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
    No gluten issues. But I doubt I will bring much or wheat back in to diet. Well I hope you keep getting better. Are you trying to get in shape too...or are you mainly interested in controlling the type 2 alone?
    I usually lead an active life, exercise (this winter has been a bit difficult) and still work as a carpenter, my days as a geologist/soil scientist are long gone. The change in my diet was mainly focused on the Diabetes, creeping weight problem, which is apparently resolved for now.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    I have always been generally healthy. I heal quickly, still, and all. But I always had problems with colds. I would get lots of colds all winter. And a cold for me was a serious thing - it would really knock me down. It was what the flu seemed to be like for most folks. At the recommendation of a coworker I began to see a quack doctor. She put me on a high protein, low carb diet - much like the Atkins diet. For a few years I stuck to it like glue. Colds went away. By that I mean a cold was no big deal, and I got them regularly. I am not nearly as fanatic about it these days (these years?) but my resistance to colds is still with me.

Leave a comment:

• GoBahnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by princesa View Post
    Hi GoBahnsen, no not really except for the 5 winter pounds maybe. I felt drawn to respond on the nutrition being discussed as that has been something I've had to change very recently.
    Yeah that nutrition field is huge and filled with differing opinions. So many experts, books, opinions. I hope some good discussion happens here.

Ever heard of bullet proof coffee?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X