Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

My Type 2 journey thus far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Type 2 journey thus far

So, I had my first A1C test in December. 6.8 was the reading, but my cholesterol readings were pretty high in some categories. Doc wanted me to start taking a statin, but the research shows some pretty common and serious side effects, so I am not going to take it. I am going to start exercising to see how it does on the next round of tests in 3 months. Blood sugar has been consistently in the 130 to 150 range without medication, and I have been doing pretty well on the diet front, but haven't lost any weight, being unable to exercise up until now. I've had a few episodes where I broke out in a sweat and felt dizzy, but drinking water helped. It's been a tough adjustment, but I know it's a marathon, not a race.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Try Fish oil I hear it works. High doses though and it needs to be toxin free
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have had type 2 Diabetes for six years. I take Metformin but no insulin. I have controlled my Diabetes by diet and exercise. No sugar, white flour, white rice, corn nor potatoes. Sea Fish, some chicken and turkey, no red meet. High in vegetables and nuts, moderate whole grains, fruit, but not much fruit juice. Important herbs are Turmeric, echinacia, coffee and rationed chocolate.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-26-2014, 08:59 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        Try Fish oil I hear it works. High doses though and it needs to be toxin free
        I've been considering krill oil. I hear it is just as high in betas but no fish smell.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          I have had type 2 Diabetes for six years. I take Metformin but no insulin.
          The metformin made me vomit. I ended up taking Nesina for 3 months, and now the doc is seeing how I am doing off of it. I may have to go back on, depending on how I do this next 3 month checkup.

I have controlled my Diabetes by diet and exercise. No sugar, white flour, white rice, corn nor potatoes.
          I'm the same way with my diet. I try to limit my carbohydrate intake too. I've been pretty stable with my sugar counts. No real wild swings in either direction, unless I either 1) miss a meal, or 2) work out real hard and don't drink enough water.

Sea Fish, some chicken and turkey, no red meet.
          I eat at least 1 meal per day with fish, turkey, or chicken. Often it's 2. My snacks are usually white cheeses or lower sugar fruits and nuts.

High in vegetables and nuts, moderate whole grains, fruit, but not much fruit juice. Important herbs are Turmeric, echinacia, coffee and rationed chocolate.
          I hate coffee :), but tumeric is a good suggestion. I will try to incorporate that into my diet a bit more. Thanks Frank.
          That's what
          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            The metformin made me vomit. I ended up taking Nesina for 3 months, and now the doc is seeing how I am doing off of it. I may have to go back on, depending on how I do this next 3 month checkup.

I'm the same way with my diet. I try to limit my carbohydrate intake too. I've been pretty stable with my sugar counts. No real wild swings in either direction, unless I either 1) miss a meal, or 2) work out real hard and don't drink enough water.

I eat at least 1 meal per day with fish, turkey, or chicken. Often it's 2. My snacks are usually white cheeses or lower sugar fruits and nuts.

I hate coffee :), but tumeric is a good suggestion. I will try to incorporate that into my diet a bit more. Thanks Frank.
            I hear that if you can do it with diet, that's the best possible way to control it. Some people can and do quite well for almost all of there entire lives. Krill is excellent btw. So is a combo of krill and flax
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

no, flax oil is not good. At least for guys. It contains estrogens. stick to fish oil (never tried krill).

Comment

Did not know that Sparko. Had heard about that for soy, but not for flax. Is that just flax oil, or flax in general?

I've been using myfitness pal to track my calories. It worked well last year, at least for a few months where I lost a bunch of weight. I'm working on getting back the drive to lose more weight. Might not be the best app for diabetes, but for general use it seems adequate.
                No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Hey ya Bill. just started reading this thread. But not much, beyond the OP. Both my parents had type 2 diabetes. To me it always seemed like the type 2 thing was like calling alcoholism a disease. Type 2, to me (I know this will bring me new enemies), is like talking about someone who had a bad diet and probably didn't exercise and so they developed insulin resistance as a result. They are insulin resistant and all they need to do is eat right and exercise. The alcoholic needs to quit abusing alcohol.

There, GoBahnsen has conducted another lecture on how to lose friends and not influence people. Thank you.

Comment

Hang in there, Bill... I'll keep you in my prayers.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                      Hey ya Bill. just started reading this thread. But not much, beyond the OP. Both my parents had type 2 diabetes. To me it always seemed like the type 2 thing was like calling alcoholism a disease. Type 2, to me (I know this will bring me new enemies), is like talking about someone who had a bad diet and probably didn't exercise and so they developed insulin resistance as a result. They are insulin resistant and all they need to do is eat right and exercise. The alcoholic needs to quit abusing alcohol.

There, GoBahnsen has conducted another lecture on how to lose friends and not influence people. Thank you.
                      Mine is a hereditary pancreas defect. Both of my parents are diabetic, and my dad's is a pancreas problem that causes delayed insulin excretion, which is what the doctor says is wrong with mine too.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Hang in there, Bill... I'll keep you in my prayers.
                        Uh oh...has Bill taken a turn for the worse? And I just posted a blunt un-sympathetic post

Comment

Mine is a hereditary pancreas defect. Both of my parents are diabetic, and my dad's is a pancreas problem that causes delayed insulin excretion, which is what the doctor says is wrong with mine too.
                          Oh, ok...well that is not typical then. You do indeed have a medical problem, not just the kind of problem my parents had and probably most of America has. My apologies Bill, for steamrolling in here. I'm in a cynical mood this morning.

I think it was brought on by apologia's happy marriage

Comment

I think being on a diet and knowing that it has to also be more than a temporary diet, but a lifestyle change...well sometimes it gets me upset, agitated. A lot of us are like this big ball of desires and we know we can't gratify them the way we'd like...it's hard. The Super Bowl is coming up and I'd like to be like those who can nail the Doritos and sandwiches and some beer too. I want to gratify those desires! And it makes me mad, that even if I did...I would feel like crap the next day. Not just physically, but emotionally, because I would know I screwed up. Was it worth it? That will be the question that dogs me on Monday and Tuesday.

End of vent

Comment

but tumeric is a good suggestion. I will try to incorporate that into my diet a bit more. Thanks Frank.
                              I put turmeric high on the list of helpful herbs, and well researched with few side effects. If you are not allergic, nor kidney or liver problems it should be no problem. I take the equivalent of 6 to 10 capsules a day. It increases periferal circulation and reduces inflammation. The result is it reduces arthritic, improves skin tone and condition, reduces cramps, helps your immune system and has anti cancer properties. I may post my research on Turmeric some time if tweb has a place to put articles.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X