Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Fire ant hell sunburn itch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire ant hell sunburn itch

So, I went to North Myrtle Beach on Saturday, and got a sunburn. I'm used to them, as a pale Caucasian, and if I stay out for more than an hour, I get cooked, even with SPF 2 Billion. But the kids wanted to go, so Dad had to be the chaperone due to Mrs. the Cat's back implant. Well, I was itching a bit last night, and it got slightly worse on the drive home. But just a few hours ago, I started itching so bad. To quote the person who I found a possible remedy said "This itch is unlike ANYTHING ELSE. It makes me want to rip my skin off using rusty razors, to put it lightly". I took cold showers, aloe, cocoa butter, oatmeal paste, and anything else I could find. But, I discovered this possible remedy...

Source: http://kathrynjennings.blogspot.com/2011/12/sunburn-fire-ant-hell-itch.html

For those out there who have never experienced this sensation, count your blessings. It is truly a horrific itch. Cooling the burn, moisturizing it and all general sunburn remedies just seem to aggravate it even more. It's a deep itch, which hits in intense bursts and it literally feels like you have fire ants crawling under your skin & itching only seems to piss them off further. It sends the sufferer into a demonic state of helplessness as they struggle to cope with the itch which prevails through all numbing, cooling and moisturizing remedies.

I know it sounds weird, but a BOILING HOT SHOWER was the only thing that worked! At first I was terrified it would make it worse, especially since I'd spent hours trying to take the heat out of my skin which so many sunburn treatments are designed to do. But I was past desperate. HELLO? I was contemplating drugging myself and going to hospital.

I VERY hesitantly got in the shower and turned up the heat. The suggestion said to have the shower as hot as you can possibly stand. At first it hurt, but usually by the time sunburn starts to itch, the skin is already healed and hot water won't cause any further damage. I stood there, tears streaming down my face as I turned up the heat. Within moments, the itch stopped. I turned up the hot water as high as I could stand, and stayed in there for at least 15 minutes.

I very gently patted myself dry with a towel, doing everything I could to avoid further aggravation. THE ITCH HAD GONE. I quickly took 2 strong pain killers and went to bed straight away, hoping I'd fall asleep before the itch had a chance to return.

I woke the next morning with a worrying tingle that singled fire ant hell itch was returning. I ran to the bathroom and had another hot shower. Again, it worked. For hours. I had hot showers every 4 or so hours for about a day & by then, I'd begun to peel & the itch returned to 'normal' sunburn itch.

© Copyright Original Source

So, off to the sauna shower I go. Will let you all know if it works.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

The itch is now a very dull twitch in my worst burned areas, but the shower was tough to take, I have to admit. Mrs. the Cat actually cracked the door and asked if I was ok...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Owww....
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I fell asleep on my stomach by a pool many years ago and got a horrible sunburn (being largely German-Scandinavian I'm definitely fair skinned). It didn't itch much but burned. An absolutely miserable three days.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So you're saying it worked?

Comment

I generally get a bad burn at the beginning of Summer (which in Texas is 2 days after Valentine's Day) then I brown up like a Mexican til Winter (which in Texas is about 3 weeks after Thanksgiving).
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

STOP getting sunburned, people!

As one pale Caucasian who has had issues with pre-cancerous sun damage, I am begging you to stop getting sunburned!

Don't go to tanning booths! Don't lay in the sun! Use sunscreen and clothes to cover up and for goodness sake wear a hat or use an umbrella!

By the way. I expected to see fire ants in this thread.

And good old Noxema always worked best for me. If you can still get it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                So you're saying it worked?
                So far, the fire ant feeling hasn't returned. The itch is still persistent, but tolerable. I expect to have to get in the shower again in a few hours. I would have taken a longer one, but my son had just taken his shower and there wasn't a lot of hot water left...
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

My first thought that fact that a burn keeps burning for a while. So a hot shower...I dunno...wouldn't that cook the nerve endings into oblivion? Hence the lack of the itching sensation. .. not sure that's a good thing....
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    STOBy the way. I expected to see fire ants in this thread.
                    Marshall, Texas

fireant.jpg
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      My first thought that fact that a burn keeps burning for a while. So a hot shower...I dunno...wouldn't that cook the nerve endings into oblivion? Hence the lack of the itching sensation. .. not sure that's a good thing....
                      Don't know. All I know is I have never felt anything like that. It was the most unbearable thing I have ever felt. And for now, I seem to be relatively ok.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Marshall, Texas

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1904[/ATTACH]
                        Yeah!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          And for now, I seem to be relatively ok.
                          I wish for you more than ok-ness and more than just for now.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            STOP getting sunburned, people!

As one pale Caucasian who has had issues with pre-cancerous sun damage, I am begging you to stop getting sunburned!
                            You make it sound like we do it on purpose.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Marshall, Texas

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1904[/ATTACH]
                              I'll refrain from retelling the story about unknowingly stepping in a fire ant mound as I got out of my car to make a sales call and having to strip my pants off in the middle of the street -- in front of the prospective clients -- when I noticed that they had swarmed up my pants to knee level.

Oh. I guess I just did. Well at least I didn't get bit once and made the sale!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X