Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Are human fetuses parasites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are human fetuses parasites?

I say no.

A parasite is defined as an organism of one species living in or on an organism of another species (a heterospecific relationship) and deriving its nourishment from the host (is metabolically dependent on the host). (See Cheng, T.C., General Parasitology, p. 7, 1973.)

Others say yes:

http://www.biology-online.Org/dictionary/Parasite
    par·a·site
    ˈparəˌsīt/
    noun
    an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Is a newborn or toddler also a parasite? They can't survive without adult help for long either.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Here is an interesting take on parasitism:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleptoparasitism

Humans

In times of famine intraspecific Kleptoparasitism is common in humans, was even declared legal in Germany until 1975 under the name of Mundraub (Mouth-theft). In Ancient Israel consuming another man's crops was likewise declared legal unless you took something with you in Deuteronomy 23. Humans have been found to chase away lions from their captured prey and consume the meat themselves. A researcher noted the behaviour in Waza National Park, Cameroon in 2006, and other ecologists have suggested that the behaviour may be widespread but often goes unrecognised. Interviews with Bororo herdsmen suggested that they often chase lions away from their prey. This kleptoparasitism may be contributing to the decline of lion populations within the national park

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Is a newborn or toddler also a parasite? They can't survive without adult help for long either.
        Same with an invalid

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Indeed. You can only call a human a parasite if they're no give all take with no good reason to be. Even then, it isn't a nice thing to call humans. Unless it's a parasitic twin, that isn't even alive...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I say no.

A parasite is defined as an organism of one species living in or on an organism of another species (a heterospecific relationship) and deriving its nourishment from the host (is metabolically dependent on the host). (See Cheng, T.C., General Parasitology, p. 7, 1973.)

Others say yes:

par·a·site
            ˈparəˌsīt/
            noun
            an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.
            The second definition is simply making the assumption that two different species are involved. A fetus is not a parasite. But is a liberal a parasite?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I think Ivy League Academics are parasites.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

How about people that try to make God out to be a genie or vending machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Indeed. You can only call a human a parasite if they're no give all take with no good reason to be. Even then, it isn't a nice thing to call humans. Unless it's a parasitic twin, that isn't even alive...
                  The term "parasitic twin" is a misnomer. The proper medical term is "unequal conjoined twin".
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The term "parasitic twin" is a misnomer. The proper medical term is "unequal conjoined twin".
                    I thought it was the old/layman term. Like when a twin has no head and no heart.

Comment

Not at all. "Fetus" refers to the post-embryonic and pre-birth stage of biological development in viviparous vertebrates. The term "human fetus" therefore refers specifically to a member of the (obviously non-parasitic) species Homo sapiens during this early developmental period.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                        Not at all. "Fetus" refers to the post-embryonic and pre-birth stage of biological development in viviparous vertebrates. The term "human fetus" therefore refers specifically to a member of the (obviously non-parasitic) species Homo sapiens during this early developmental period.
                        I think distinguishing between a parasite and parasitic behavior is important to stress in this type of discussion. Something can behave in a parasitic manner, as with kleptoparasitism, while not actually being a parasite.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

A parasite harms it's host.

We have lots of "riders" in us that are not parasites, but symbiots, like the bacteria in our guts, which helps us digest food.

Comment

I say no.

Others say yes:

par·a·site
                            ˈparəˌsīt/
                            noun
                            Actually, now that I think about it, a human embryo would not qualify even under this definition. A parasite rarely announces its presence and the host rarely has a natural mechanism to compensate. A human pregnancy is designed to allow the child to grow while protecting the mother. In pregnancy, a woman naturally compensates for the extra nutritional needs of her child - which is why she puts on a good bit more than the 7 - 10 pounds of baby. A parasite normally causes weight loss as it harms its host; a child stimulates the mother to gain weight instead. A healthy pregnancy is actually good for a woman's overall health - a true parasite is never good for its host.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

A parasite harms it's host.

We have lots of "riders" in us that are not parasites, but symbiots, like the bacteria in our guts, which helps us digest food.
                              Ah - so a foetus is of the same race as Dax.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X