Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Sugar and I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar and I

I'm becoming increasingly intolerant of sugar. I get mildly nauseous if I eat too much (violently if I'm stupid and keep going - which I don't do). 'Too much' varies from one day to another - sometimes I can tolerate a small serving (and I do mean 'small') of ice cream - sometimes the first bite makes me sick.

I keep craving it from time to time but less so over time. Strangely, my appetite seems to go down the less tolerant I am of sugar.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Well, sugar beyond what you get in fruits and other natural food isn't good for folks anyway. And sugar does stimulate the appetite. Avoid fructose as in high fructose corn syrup, in particular. No sugary cereal.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I thought this was going to be about you and Rogue dating...

tumblr_n642lmXdNN1rwqt2go1_500.gif
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        I thought this was going to be about you and Rogue dating...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]959[/ATTACH]

You are sooooo not funny!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, I'm sitting in my favorite restaurant looking at a perfectly good meal knowing full well most of it is going home with me in a box for lunch tomorrow. I doubt I've had much over a thousand calories today and yet three bites and I'm stuffed.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And I went to a Chinese buffet and left after four plates hating myself for how miserably full I was.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I go to buffets and feel bad because I can't eat enough to justify the expense.

Last night's dinner is today's lunch - I've had exactly one bite of a left over sausage and biscuit and I'm already feeling kinda full...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                I go to buffets and feel bad because I can't eat enough to justify the expense.

Last night's dinner is today's lunch - I've had exactly one bite of a left over sausage and biscuit and I'm already feeling kinda full...

Most buffets I go to are in the $7-8 range and I more than get my money's worth. I haven't eaten since noon yesterday and am only now getting hungry again.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Most buffets I go to are in the $7-8 range and I more than get my money's worth. I haven't eaten since noon yesterday and am only now getting hungry again.

We have a Chinese in that range but the regular 'home cookin' ' buffets are more like $8 - 10. I only go with someone else or if I'm getting a to go plate - I can't eat $7 worth of food in one sitting - forget $10!

An hour later and I'm almost finished with my half of a left over sausage biscuit...

I should probably go see the doctor again, huh?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Just a quick question are these symptoms causing excess weight loss? Also have you eve had some or any kind of major abdominal surgery? If so you are especially prone to malapsorbtion, intestinal blockages, obstructions, crohn's, ulcerative colitis, hernia, tears and adhesions. Yes go see the doctor. You may need a special diet ( usually full liquid or soft and bland) until the issue resolves. This has been a service announcement.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

1) Gastric bypass 2003
                      2) > 50lb since Feb 2013
                      3) Already discussed with the doctor this past Feb at my last visit. But my appetite is getting worse so it is probably time to go back.
                      4) Cannot absorb iron. Labs were okay in June, however.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

">50lb"? Not your weight? Maybe your gain since the bypass? If so, that's a big failure, all right.
                        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                          ">50lb"? Not your weight? Maybe your gain since the bypass? If so, that's a big failure, all right.

I've lost greater than 50 pounds in the last year, TS. It's getting close to 60 now.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Congratulations, Teal! However, IIRC such operations don't have good long-run results. You have to diet right in the first place anyway. For example, keep your sugar intake as low as you can and still meet the suggested diet requirement of 5 servings of fruit. Maybe pureed lemons sweetened by stevia extract?

Comment

TS, I had the surgery more than ten years ago and I'm losing without trying now. My body is treating sugar the way it did just after the surgery - and it's getting worse.

Also, I prefer Splenda to stevia. I can handle either but the stevia is more expensive with no real advantage that I can see.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X