Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Zinc supplement and Virus Infections.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zinc supplement and Virus Infections.

There has been a rush and panic of many possible off the walls cures and preventives for COVID-19 most worthless and some dangerous. Then Zinc was mentioned. I have researched many possible cures and preventives over the years and found Zinc a possibility for reducing the effects of virus infections and possible partial preventive, but with a yellow flag.

Zinc may be used at a max of 150 mg daily spaced out in doses of 15 mg for a supplemental treatment of COVID-19 dissolved under the tongue slowly do not chew. For prevention one or two times a day is sufficient. They sell zinc lozenges. The problem in America is that if people are told a little is beneficial then a lot is great! Hearing this American pop Zinc tabs like popcorn. If you go over this dose it has been shown the benefit drops and then possibly becomes toxic.

I have used this to reduce the occurrence of colds and found it helpful for many years.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-12-2020, 03:17 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Source: https://www.uchealth.org/today/zinc-could-help-diminish-extent-of-covid-19/

Coronavirus: To zinc or not to zinc?
    Zinc is no COVID-19 magic bullet, but it has shown to help with other coronaviruses.
    By: Todd Neff, for UCHealth

March 25th, 2020

Calling the specific virus that is causing COVID-19 “coronavirus” is a bit like calling the Ford Explorer “the SUV.” Both statements are true, but with both, one is part of the other. There are lots of different SUVs; there are lots of different coronaviruses.

Zinc is something that will not hurt you, and there may be some benefit when it comes to COVID-19, like with other coronaviruses.

Many common colds are caused by coronaviruses. Various scientific studies (we’ll get to those in a moment) have shown zinc lozenges to be effective in shortening the misery phase of common colds. So in the face of a coronavirus pandemic, here’s a big question many are asking: can zinc shorten the duration of – or even diminish the symptom load and thereby lessen the impact – of COVID-19?

The answer is we don’t know yet. But to twist the analogy: if changing the oil helps a Jeep Grand Cherokee avoid the shop, it’s a good bet that doing the same will benefit the Ford Explorer, too.

Dr. Ian Tullberg bears no responsibility for the above comparison. But as far as helping patients get over colds, “there’s good evidence that oral zinc works well,” the medical director of UCHealth Medical Group Urgent Care said.

With respect to the specific coronavirus that is causing the pandemic now, “the problem is that this is still so early that we don’t have the knowledge if it works or not,” Tullberg said. “However, zinc is something that will not hurt you, and there may be some benefit.”

Those who swear by zinc as a cold remedy know to take it when they first start to feel a scratchy throat. They try to hit it early – right when the cold’s coming on. Research spanning decades has shown that using zinc lozenges through the course of the cold does make a difference.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Zinc deficiency is common nowadays in the States.

This site mentions that 40mg is about the most tolerable in day
      Source: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263176

Zinc supplements are also available in the form of capsules and tablets. However, the tolerable upper limit for zinc is 40 milligrams for males and females over 18 years.

© Copyright Original Source

Another site mentioned that 100milligrams is the most that a person should have in a day.

I have not seen if there is a different amount of zinc required for people who are deficient. The link I gave does mention that vegetarians should take 50% more than the 14mg recommended.

Another issue is that people with diabetes may not absorb the zinc very well.

Comment

I have always loaded up with vitamin C and zinc at the first hint of a cold.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Zinc was touted by the same people who tout Hydroxychloroquine! Shuny must be a conspiracy nut!

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....02.20080036v1

I can't take zinc supplements. They make me nauseous.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X