Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Going Sugarless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Sugarless

I have done the low-carb diet on and off. Part of that process is to avoid the worst carbs. The second-worst offender carb is refined white sugar. (The leader seems to be the high fructose corn syrup.) I have seen different videos talking about the dangers of this common food ingredient -- how it follows similar chemical breakdown in the body as alcohol. (But I'm not sure why we don't have people with liver problems from sugar, as found with high consumption of alcohol.)

Anyhow, I had experience with Spenda/Sucralose where I got vertigo for something like three days after high consumption of "foods" sweetened with this. I think one doctor equated the Sucralose molecular structure with DDT. The sequence I remember is that I had been dieting awhile and then found the soft drinks and ice cream that were sugarless. So, I was desiring some sweet stuff (before I found out about Stevia) and ended up having maybe a half of an ice cream container (which were half-quarts at that time, I think). And probably had 3 cans of soda a day.

I ended up having vertigo, just being dizzy, the world spinning in various directions. I think I just took a precaution and stopped having those sweets. And I recovered (after about three days, if memory serves). Then when I tried those again (probably more sparingly) I got vertigo again.

As a result, I have avoided Splenda since that time.

The thread is open to science, experiences, preferences, recipes ... anything about sugar and sugarless.

I started by putting no sugar in my coffee. It took a while, but I like black coffee just fine.
    Sugar cereals were the next to go - I don't miss them.
    I used to be a pepsiholic. Then I switched to Diet Pepsi. But the chemicals, and..... I switched to water with lemon.

Actually, it was a financial freedom seminar I was hosting where the facilitator made an astounding claim -- when you eat in a restaurant, the tea or soft drink is as much as 20% or more of your food cost! He suggested water, instead. I switched to water with lemon, and actually PREFER it. Rarely will I have a "fizzy" drink.

I noticed a few years ago that the sugar container - kind of a crystal container - in the pantry hadn't been touched, to the extent that the little spoon was stuck in the BLOCK of sugar - it had pretty much solidified into a block.

Let's see..... cutting out breads and starches.....

But, yeah, sugar is a biggie.

And corn syrup - I remember a video that documented the average weight gain of Americans, and tied it to the time when we pretty much switched from a wheat-based society to a corn-based society, and corn syrup was a huge factor.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Coca-cola was my go-to drink for a long time. It is just recently that I no longer enjoy a 20oz bottle of coke.

I was also looking for sugarless ketchup at the stores (not that I am a big fan of ketchup). I haven't found it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        Coca-cola was my go-to drink for a long time. It is just recently that I no longer enjoy a 20oz bottle of coke.

I was also looking for sugarless ketchup at the stores (not that I am a big fan of ketchup). I haven't found it yet.
        Every once in a while, my grandkids will be over - they all love Dr Pepper. Occasionally, I'll take a drink of Dr Pepper just to remind myself ---- it tastes like SUPER sweet carbonated PRUNE juice!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't recall when I started but I've avoided anything with artifical sweeteners for years because they affect my digestive system most unpleasantly. I think it was Sunny D that made my tongue feel funny for the first time (didn't read the ingredients).

It may be genetic. My eldest bro is outright allergic to aspartame and one of my maternal cousins has the same problems as I do. My dad has no problems whatsoever so maybe my mother's side.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I don't recall when I started but I've avoided anything with artifical sweeteners for years because they affect my digestive system most unpleasantly. I think it was Sunny D that made my tongue feel funny for the first time (didn't read the ingredients).

It may be genetic. My eldest bro is outright allergic to aspartame and one of my maternal cousins has the same problems as I do. My dad has no problems whatsoever so maybe my mother's side.
            Maybe some effects are due to genetics. Others may be due to existing toxic threshholds in the body. Plus, the digestive systems of some people may be able to get rid of more of the bad stuff.

Comment

Since I am diabetic, I have been using artificial sweeteners for decades. Aspartame (Nutrisweet) is OK, but it loses it's sweetness when it is heated. I like Splenda the best. Saccharine is of the debil. Stevia and Monk Fruit based sweeteners have a weird after taste to me.

Comment

I've been researching the popular keto diet trend for a while, and tried it successfully for a while last year (then fell off the bandwagon). I just started back a few weeks ago. Honestly, I feel better when I'm eating healthier and cutting out all that sugar. And of course it's nice to drop weight too.

The more research I've done, the more I think that high sugar and carbohydrate consumption is destroying our bodies. It's not natural, and it's not really what our bodies thrive on. We're adaptable, but very high consumption of sugar totally wrecks out bodies. I read somewhere that in the past (think like late 1800s) the average person consumed 10-20 lbs of sugar in their entire diet over the course of a year. And now, the average American, inclusive of their entire diet, consumes about 120 lbs of sugar per year. Just think about that for a minute. The average American is eating/drinking TEN POUNDS of sugar per month. That's 2.5 lbs of sugar a week. Crazy.

The USDA food pyramid was implemented with basically no research that it was effective, and the impact on American's overall health has been horrific. Health and food industry interest groups have a lot a stake, so they continue to advocate carb and sugar heavy diets, while denigrating high fat diets despite a growing body of evidence that a low sugar/low carb and high fat diet is actually more healthy. If you have Amazon Prime, check out "Fat Fiction", pretty interesting documentary with health industry professionals. They highlight the carb verus fat debate, go into the history of it, explain some of the issues, show you some numbers....and interview health professionals like doctors and nutritionists with some pretty interesting stories about how their patients have faired once they threw the health industry anti-fat dogma out the window and started advocating, high-fat, low-carb diets.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I keep getting ice cream at the store. But if I don't go too often then I don't get as much sweets.

Here's part of an article on getting beyond the desire for sugar and processed sweets. (I don't like quoting whole articles here)
                  Source: https://www.faim.org/how-to-overcome-sugar-addiction

How To Overcome Sugar Addiction

Dr. Mark Hyman

The Doctor’s Farmacy

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone say they wish they had more willpower to be able to quit sugar. But here’s the thing: it’s an actual physical addiction and the food industry strives to get us hooked on sugar. So, it’s not about willpower, it’s about biochemistry.
                  The great news is that we can reset our biochemistry and those sugar cravings and take back our health. The more you avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates (which just turn into sugar in your body) the more your body recognizes the natural sweetness in healthy foods like blueberries or even a red bell pepper.

© Copyright Original Source

I'm including the link to the video but I didn't watch this yet.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X