Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Everyone should stay home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It seems like practically any place I can think of (or at least that I would ever want to go to) seems to be "exempt" despite a full state lockdown here, the only real exception I can think of being my church.
    There are a LOT of exempt places here as well as non-exempt. Two nearby military installations (although my connections have indicated they are rotating their people on and off duty), lots of garages, the stores of course, pharmacies, the tons of gas stations and truck stops and the one full carwash in town. Most of the restaurants have curbside or drive thru services.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I was going to head to the store tonight, but the place I was going is on the exempt list, so I can wait.
      Doesn't matter. There will be TOO MANY people and chances are they are panic shopping.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        Doesn't matter. There will be TOO MANY people and chances are they are panic shopping.
        Discovered I can get what I want with free shipping, so I think I'll go that route. I can wait for it to get here.

Turns out, as well, that liquor stores are considered essential here. Who knew?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• 00000000000000ab000-00aaaS4.jpg
          Thought of Juvie when I saw this

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Discovered I can get what I want with free shipping, so I think I'll go that route. I can wait for it to get here.

Turns out, as well, that liquor stores are considered essential here. Who knew?
            I read a while back that if they close all the alcoholics eventually show up at the ER and take up time/risk spreading infection even more.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              I read a while back that if they close all the alcoholics eventually show up at the ER and take up time/risk spreading infection even more.
              That and they probably want to avoid them buying out all the hand sanitizer.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I haven't even got my mail since Wednesday. I'll walk down to the mailbox tomorrow since by blood pressure medicine should have arrived today.
                This morning I got all call from Kaiser. They asked if I had ordered my blood pressure medicine which I affirmed pointing out that was a week ago and they said it would be delivered in three to five days. They said that it would be seven to ten days and I owed $11 for my co-pay. I pointed out that I never have paid a co-pay for it before and when I placed an order was told there was no co-pay.

So now if I want it before my blood pressure medicine runs out (got 1 pill left) I'll have to go to their health center to pick it up and pay $11.

Guess I'll be going out of the house tomorrow.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This morning I got all call from Kaiser. They asked if I had ordered my blood pressure medicine which I affirmed pointing out that was a week ago and they said it would be delivered in three to five days. They said that it would be seven to ten days and I owed $11 for my co-pay. I pointed out that I never have paid a co-pay for it before and when I placed an order was told there was no co-pay.

So now if I want it before my blood pressure medicine runs out (got 1 pill left) I'll have to go to their health center to pick it up and pay $11.

Somebody didn't get the memo that they're supposed to be trying to make things EASIER, not more convoluted!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Somebody didn't get the memo that they're supposed to be trying to make things EASIER, not more convoluted!
                    I still can't get anywhere with filing for LOA. I've been trying to get hold of the personnel person (my boss had told me to try her if I continued to have problems when I talked to her Saturday morning). Trouble is that she doesn't apparently do phone calls because she never picks up when they transfer my call. I've been trying since Sunday.

Comment

Went down to their health center when they opened at 7AM so as to avoid crowds of mostly sick folks.

The woman at the desk said that only if I had it shipped it was $11 -- and then proceeded to charge me $11

Comment

Went down to their health center when they opened at 7AM so as to avoid crowds of mostly sick folks.

The woman at the desk said ...
                        She applying for a position on the committee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                          80 percent of us will be infected. "Flattening the curve" is an attempt to spread that 80 percent out over time.
                          So looking over my earlier posts for errors there were some minor things, and then I ran across this one.

It's a doozy.

With best practices, we can easily reduce that attack rate of 80 percent to under 5 percent, around 135,000 deaths. We're currently on track to keep it under 3 percent, or 80,000 deaths. Any road, by fighting this infection, we're dodging that 80 percent and saving two million lives here in the U.S.

The 81 percent was an estimate of how high the attack rate would climb if no mitigation was undertaken. With any mitigation at all, we could bend that number back toward herd immunity. At the time I posted this, I was just beginning my close reading of IC-L 9, posted elsewhere, and hadn't even derived the formula for herd immunity.
                          R(HI) = 1 - 1/R(0), or 58 percent if R(0) was 2.4.

Of course, herd immunity only brings R down to 1, meaning the number of new infections levels off at some constant figure, so that 58 percent attack rate would still grow over time. But once it's exceeded, even by the tiniest fraction, the back of the curve is broken, and the number of new infections would decline.

By skewing that 58 percent toward younger people, it was estimated we could cut the number of deaths in half, to just over a million. Currently, assuming we maintain all NPIs currently in effect, it's projected we can cut that figure to 60,000.

But until there's a vaccine, those million lives still hang in the balance.

Everyone should stay home.

Everyone who can.

Comment

So looking over my earlier posts for errors there were some minor things, and then I ran across this one.

It's a doozy.

With best practices, we can easily reduce that attack rate of 80 percent to under 5 percent, around 135,000 deaths. We're currently on track to keep it under 3 percent, or 80,000 deaths. Any road, by fighting this infection, we're dodging that 80 percent and saving two million lives here in the U.S.

The 81 percent was an estimate of how high the attack rate would climb if no mitigation was undertaken. With any mitigation at all, we could bend that number back toward herd immunity. At the time I posted this, I was just beginning my close reading of IC-L 9, posted elsewhere, and hadn't even derived the formula for herd immunity.
                            R(HI) = 1 - 1/R(0), or 58 percent if R(0) was 2.4.

Of course, herd immunity only brings R down to 1, meaning the number of new infections levels off at some constant figure, so that 58 percent attack rate would still grow over time. But once it's exceeded, even by the tiniest fraction, the back of the curve is broken, and the number of new infections would decline.

By skewing that 58 percent toward younger people, it was estimated we could cut the number of deaths in half, to just over a million. Currently, assuming we maintain all NPIs currently in effect, it's projected we can cut that figure to 60,000.

But until there's a vaccine, those million lives still hang in the balance.

Everyone should stay home.

Everyone who can.
                            Ah. You fall into the fallacy that a vaccine that is not yet created and tested will be needed to save the world. Why do you think this disease will be so persistent? Or what studies have been done to show this coronavirus has features to make it extra persistent? The numbers just aren't showing such widespread death. Thousands would have been dead in California while sitting in their homes with this disease. The epidemic-level deaths have been localized to a few location -- which may have extenuating circumstances.
                            Last edited by mikewhitney; 04-19-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              Ah. You fall into the fallacy that a vaccine that is not yet created and tested will be needed to save the world. Why do you think this disease will be so persistent? Or what studies have been done to show this coronavirus has features to make it extra persistent? The numbers just aren't showing such widespread death. Thousands would have been dead in California while sitting in their homes with this disease. The epidemic-level deaths have been localized to a few location -- which may have extenuating circumstances.
                              Last week, I spoke to my friend Afia in Dakar.

We're not saving the world.

Comment

Last week, I spoke to my friend Afia in Dakar.

We're not saving the world.
                                What did Afia say? You kind of cut your post short.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X