Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Coronavirus declared public health emergency by WHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darfius, why aren't you worried about the regular flu? It has killed a lot more people than the coronavirus.

Here are the stats for last year's flu season in the USA alone:

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season,
    https://time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Darfius, why aren't you worried about the regular flu? It has killed a lot more people than the coronavirus.

Here are the stats for last year's flu season in the USA alone:

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season,
      https://time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/
      We don't know how many people the coronavirus has killed, because China's numbers are acknowledged to be underreported and their "official" tally has been proven to be nothing more than a result of a model which was charted and predicted by a source I included in one of the earlier posts. They don't even have enough test kits to confirm who has it.

But my earlier posts and sources have already explained why this poses a far greater threat to the average person than the flu. It is far more contagious, far more lethal if contracted and because none of us has been exposed to it and therefore have no level of herd immunity, everyone is at increased risk, not just the elderly and the very young as with the seasonal flu.

This World Health Organization classified epidemic is far more comparable to the "Spanish flu" (though it began at a military base in America after forced vaccinations), which killed 20-50 million people, but because travel is far easier these days and because--again--this is far more contagious and lethal, the numbers will likely be far higher. China has already locked down more of their citizens than live in the entire United States, something they would not do for the seasonal flu and something which has already sent noticeable shockwaves through the global economy and which will continue to do so.

This is why I have such impatience for you and others here. Your cowardice and self-centeredness is posing an actual threat to people who may look to you for an idea of how to respond appropriately to this. You are the blind leading the blind. You shouldn't open your mouth unless you have a command of the facts and others' best interests at heart.

Comment

Selected moments from the Event 201 pandemic tabletop exercise hosted by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation on October 18, 2019, in New York, NY. The exercise illustrated the pandemic preparedness efforts needed to diminish the large-scale economic and societal consequences of a severe pandemic.

Comment

References: Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
            This is why I have such impatience for you and others here. Your cowardice and self-centeredness is posing an actual threat to people who may look to you for an idea of how to respond appropriately to this. You are the blind leading the blind. You shouldn't open your mouth unless you have a command of the facts and others' best interests at heart.
            How are you responding to this issue? How do you suggest we respond? Where does one draw the line? Wear a mask at all times, quarantine? Do/should Christians respond differently to non-Christians?

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
              How are you responding to this issue? How do you suggest we respond? Where does one draw the line? Wear a mask at all times, quarantine? Do/should Christians respond differently to non-Christians?
              How I am responding is unique to my situation, which is why I am not holding it up as a model to be emulated. My suggestion, however, would be to have enough food and water to last being confined to your home for at least several weeks, batteries, medical supplies, light sources, blankets and whatever other emergency supplies you think you may need/want for at least that period of time. N95 masks are a good idea if you can obtain them, but they will not guarantee that you will not contract the virus. Regular handwashing with soap and water is essential. Vitamin C supplementation is also essential. I am not a doctor and I am only offering my opinion, but I will link to a study on the efficacy of Vitamin C against everything ranging from viruses to cancer.

Christians should absolutely respond differently from non-Christians, ideally being more prepared physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually for any and every eventuality. I expect the survival rate among Christians to be exponentially higher, just as it was during the black plague when Christians began practicing Old Testament cleansing rituals. I also expect panic to be far less common among Christians, who know that they are in God's hands under any circumstances.

Intravenous Ascorbate [Vitamin C] as a Tumor Cytotoxic Chemotherapeutic Agent

Scripture Verse: Proverbs

22:3 The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it.

© Copyright Original Source

21:20 Precious treasure and oil are in a wise man's dwelling, but a foolish man devours it.

Scripture Verse: Isaiah 3

Tell the righteous it will be well with them,
              for they will enjoy the fruit of their labors.
              Woe to the wicked!
              Disaster is upon them!
              They will be paid back
              for what their hands have done.

Comment

How I am responding is unique to my situation, which is why I am not holding it up as a model to be emulated. My suggestion, however, would be to have enough food and water to last being confined to your home for at least several weeks, batteries, medical supplies, light sources, blankets and whatever other emergency supplies you think you may need/want for at least that period of time. N95 masks are a good idea if you can obtain them, but they will not guarantee that you will not contract the virus. Regular handwashing with soap and water is essential. Vitamin C supplementation is also essential. I am not a doctor and I am only offering my opinion, but I will link to a study on the efficacy of Vitamin C against everything ranging from viruses to cancer.

Christians should absolutely respond differently from non-Christians, ideally being more prepared physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually for any and every eventuality. I expect the survival rate among Christians to be exponentially higher, just as it was during the black plague when Christians began practicing Old Testament cleansing rituals. I also expect panic to be far less common among Christians, who know that they are in God's hands under any circumstances.

22:3 The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it.

21:20 Precious treasure and oil are in a wise man's dwelling, but a foolish man devours it.

Woe to the wicked!
                Disaster is upon them!
                They will be paid back

Okay thanks I liked many parts of your answer.

Comment

We don't know how many people the coronavirus has killed, because China's numbers are acknowledged to be underreported and their "official" tally has been proven to be nothing more than a result of a model which was charted and predicted by a source I included in one of the earlier posts. They don't even have enough test kits to confirm who has it.

But my earlier posts and sources have already explained why this poses a far greater threat to the average person than the flu. It is far more contagious, far more lethal if contracted and because none of us has been exposed to it and therefore have no level of herd immunity, everyone is at increased risk, not just the elderly and the very young as with the seasonal flu.

This World Health Organization classified epidemic is far more comparable to the "Spanish flu" (though it began at a military base in America after forced vaccinations), which killed 20-50 million people, but because travel is far easier these days and because--again--this is far more contagious and lethal, the numbers will likely be far higher. China has already locked down more of their citizens than live in the entire United States, something they would not do for the seasonal flu and something which has already sent noticeable shockwaves through the global economy and which will continue to do so.

You weren't like this before the Mandella effect, Darfius! I remember you being the nicest most reasonable person on theologyweb. You loved everyone. But now somehow that all changed and even all of your old posts are full of paranoia and hate.

Comment

Woe to the wicked!
                    Disaster is upon them!
                    They will be paid back

Christians were also the ones who actually helped the sick instead of avoiding them. They are the ones who started hospitals to care for plague victims.

Comment

The early Christians, unlike their pagan neighbors, risked their lives to aid the sick. Poor Darfius is clearly suffering from some awful mental illness.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The Novel Coronavirus, 2019‐nCoV, is Highly Contagious and More Infectious Than Initially Estimated
                        Theoretical Biology and Biophysics, Theoretical Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory

"The novel corona virus(2019nCoV)is a recently emerged human pathogen that has spread widely since January 2020.Initially, the basic reproductive number, R0,was estimated to be 2.2 to 2.7. Here we provide an estimate of this quantity. We collected extensive individual case reports and estimated key epidemiology parameters,including the incubation period.Integrating these estimates and hig hresolution real time human travel and infection data with mathematical models, we estimated that the number of infected individuals during early epidemic double every 2.4 days, and the R0 value is likely to be between 4.7 and 6.6. We further show that quarantine and contact tracing of symptomatic individuals alone may not be effective and early, strong control measures are needed to stop transmission of the virus"

"The high R0 values we estimated have important implications for disease control. For example, basic theory predicts that the force of infection has to be reduced by 1 to guarantee extinction of the disease. At 𝑅2.2 this fraction is only 55%, but at 𝑅6.7 this fraction rises to 85%. To translate this into meaningful predictions, we use the framework proposed by Lipsitch et al (16) with the parameters we estimated for 2019‐nCoV. Importantly, given the recent report of transmission of the virus from asymptomatic individuals (13), we considered the existence of a fraction of infected individuals who is asymptomatic and can transmit the virus (see Supplementary Materials). Results show that if as low as 20% of infected persons are asymptomatic and can transmit the virus, then even 95% quarantine efficacy will not be able to contain the virus"

"The 2019‐nCoV epidemic is still rapidly growing and spread to more than 20 countries as of February 5, 2020. Here, we estimated the growth rate of the early outbreak in Wuhan to be 0.29 per day (a doubling time of 2.4 days), and the reproductive number, R0, to be between 4.7 to 6.6 (CI: 2.8 to 11.3). Among many factors, the Lunar New Year Travel rush in early and mid‐January 2020 may or may not play a role in the high outbreak growth rate, although SARS epidemic also overlapped with the Lunar New Year Travel rush. How contiguous the 2019‐nCoV is in other countries remains to be seen. If the value of R0 is as high in other countries, our results suggest that active and strong population‐wide social distancing efforts, such as closing down transportation system, schools, discouraging travel, etc., might be needed to reduce the overall contacts to contain the spread of the virus. "

What do R0 values mean?

Three possibilities exist for the potential spread or decline of a disease, depending on its R0 value:
                        If R0 is less than 1, each existing infection causes less than one new infection. In this case, the disease will decline and eventually die out.
                        If R0 equals 1, each existing infection causes one new infection. The disease will stay alive and stable, but there won’t be an outbreak or an epidemic.
                        If R0 is more than 1, each existing infection causes more than one new infection. The disease will spread between people, and there may be an outbreak or epidemic.
                        Importantly, a disease’s R0 value only applies when everyone in a population is completely vulnerable to the disease. This means:
                        no one has been vaccinated
                        no one has had the disease before
                        there’s no way to control the spread of the disease
                        This combination of conditions is rare nowadays thanks to advances in medicine. Many diseases that were deadly in the past can now be contained and sometimes cured. For example, in 1918 there was a worldwide outbreak of the swine flu that killed 50 million people. According to a review article published in BMC Medicine, the R0 value of the 1918 pandemic was estimated to be between 1.4 and 2.8. But when the swine flu, or H1N1 virus, came back in 2009, its R0 value was between 1.4 and 1.6, report researchers in the journal Science. The existence of vaccines and antiviral drugs made the 2009 outbreak much less deadly.

Comment

Hey I wonder if the democrats are now ready to stop the illegal immigrant caravan? It could spread the corona virus like a wildfire.

Comment

Looks like the infection has spread beyond China now, with numbers in South Korea, Italy, and Japan as well as a few cases in other countries.

What has concerned me is the discrepancy between the figures coming out of China (which are evidently not the whole story) and the Chinese government reaction. The reaction seems disproportionate to what seems to be (based on Chinese infection and mortality figures) not that much worse than previous virus outbreaks (SARS, H1N1) where the response was nothing like this level.

There's a lot of odd ideas floating around, and it's hard to sort out the truth.

Best case scenario: another odd virus / flu outbreak, less than 200,00 infected, a few thousand die, mostly in China; it blows over in a couple of months. Most of the rest of the world not seriously affected, except for disruption to business and trade with China.

Worst case scenario: bioengineered weapon released (maybe accidentally), targets specifically Chinese / Asian people who are more likely to be infected and die; symptomless for up to 14 days ensuring a large spread; starts in Wuhan in Chinese New Year, spread around the world by people returning overseas from Wuhan (I saw one infographic that showed something like 60,000 people returning from Wuhan to places all over the world, basically everywhere); 60% of world's population infected (over several virus seasons); up to about 50 million die.

I think it would be wise to prepare for spending up to a month (or more) at home with as little contact with the outside world as possible. Stock up on storable foods, medication, drinking water, etc. If it blows over, you can still use your canned food etc. If it doesn't, waiting until things get serious in your area may be too late.
                            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Some interesting things about the virus (don't ask me to source these cause I'm not gonna )

It has an R0 of 3 or higher infection rate (though I have no idea how they derive at this with highly possible inaccurate China data).

Max rate of contagious infection with no visible symptoms is 24 days -- meaning a carrier can show no signs of symptoms but still able to spread it to others.

Some carriers never become ill, or are somehow immune, yet can still spread it to others.

It can live on surfaces up to 7-9 days.

Acquired immunity is not 100%, meaning you can catch it again and it can be more lethal to you than before.

Detection kits can produce inaccurate results or give false negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                Some interesting things about the virus (don't ask me to source these cause I'm not gonna )

It has an R0 of 3 or higher infection rate (though I have no idea how they derive at this with highly possible inaccurate China data).

Max rate of contagious infection with no visible symptoms is 24 days -- meaning a carrier can show no signs of symptoms but still able to spread it to others.

Some carriers never become ill, or are somehow immune, yet can still spread it to others.

It can live on surfaces up to 7-9 days.

Acquired immunity is not 100%, meaning you can catch it again and it can be more lethal to you than before.

Detection kits can produce inaccurate results or give false negatives.
                                Honestly, if you're going to post stuff like THAT without sourcing, you might as well add

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X