Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Coronavirus declared public health emergency by WHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDC has some advice! https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isk-assessment
    CDC Recommends

While the immediate risk of this new virus to the American public is believed to be low at this time, everyone can do their part to help us respond to this emerging public health threat:
    It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.
    If you are a healthcare provider, be on the look-out for people who recently traveled from China and have fever and respiratory symptoms.
    If you are a healthcare provider caring for a COVID-19 patient or a public health responder, please take care of yourself and follow recommended infection control procedures.
    If you have been in China or have been exposed to someone sick with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, you will face some limitations on your movement and activity. Please follow instructions during this time. Your cooperation is integral to the ongoing public health response to try to slow spread of this virus. If you develop COVID-19 symptoms, contact your healthcare provider, and tell them about your symptoms and your travel or exposure to a COVID-19 patient.
    For people who are ill with COVID-19, please follow CDC guidance on how to reduce the risk of spreading your illness to others.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      Honestly, if you're going to post stuff like THAT without sourcing, you might as well add

I was just lazy, and I just assume if folks are intrigued, they'd do their own research and use my information as a reference. I mean, that's what I always do

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        I was just lazy, and I just assume if folks are intrigued, they'd do their own research and use my information as a reference. I mean, that's what I always do
        I was, I looked and couldn't find anything other than the official CDC site.

They don't know how long it lasts on surfaces but suspect it is not very long since no other coronaviruses do. They don't know how easily it spreads yet. Nothing about not having acquired immunity.

so what was your source? Rumors?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I was, I looked and couldn't find anything other than the official CDC site.

They don't know how long it lasts on surfaces but suspect it is not very long since no other coronaviruses do. They don't know how easily it spreads yet. Nothing about not having acquired immunity.

so what was your source? Rumors?
          Okay. Let me take you by the hand and google it for you:

Max incubation rate -- "The median incubation period was 3.0 days (range, 0 to 24.0 days)"

On surfaces up to 7-9 days -- "The authors show that, depending on the material and the conditions, human coronaviruses can remain infectious from 2 hours to 9 days."

Acquired immunity - "Li QinGyuan, director of pneumonia prevention and treatment at China Japan Friendship Hospital in Beijing, said a protective antibody is generated in those who are infected. "However, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long," Li said. "For many patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of relapse."

Detection inaccuracy -- "Reports suggest some people test negative up to six times even though they are infected with the virus, according to the BBC and Chinese media."

Asymptomatic carriers -- "The researchers are confident that this case study describes an asymptomatic carrier transmitting the infection to others, but because it is the first report, one must be cautious when drawing conclusions."

I'll retract the infection rate because the info is conflicting, and just based on common sense that we probably don't have accurate numbers.

Took me bout 5 minutes.

Comment

Gee then you should have supplied the sources when you made your first post.

A lot of that info is just really wide range guessing. The persistence for example seems to range from 2 hours to 28 days depending on the surface, temperature and humidity. The incubation also seems to be a guess. 0-24 days isn't a useful number. Acquired Immunity: seems like they too are not sure. The one guys says the antibodies don't last that long but later in the same article it says:

Eng Eong Ooi, a professor of emerging infectious diseases at Singapore's Duke-NUS Medical School, told USA TODAY the data is too new to determine definitively whether the immunity will last for a very short period of time, for years or for life.

Comment

Gee then you should have supplied the sources when you made your first post.

A lot of that info is just really wide range guessing. The persistence for example seems to range from 2 hours to 28 days depending on the surface, temperature and humidity. The incubation also seems to be a guess. 0-24 days isn't a useful number. Acquired Immunity: seems like they too are not sure. The one guys says the antibodies don't last that long but later in the same article it says:

Eng Eong Ooi, a professor of emerging infectious diseases at Singapore's Duke-NUS Medical School, told USA TODAY the data is too new to determine definitively whether the immunity will last for a very short period of time, for years or for life.
              Well, dude, this thing has only been out for like two months. That the data is still debatable -- Duh!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Advice of demi: if young just stay healthy, stay hydrated, be good. If old please make wills.
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

I bet this will turn out to be another swine flu or SARs like scare.

Either that or it is Captain Trips and the world is about to end (see: The Stand by Stephen King)

Let's hope so. At the present time it appears to be extremely contagious but also appears to be less lethal than your typical flu. But things like this have a way of mutating and that could change everything.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Let's hope so. At the present time it appears to be extremely contagious but also appears to be less lethal than your typical flu. But things like this have a way of mutating and that could change everything.
                    Maybe this will finally give scientists the impetus to cure the common cold.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                      Advice of demi: if young just stay healthy, stay hydrated, be good. If old please make wills.
                      The Spanish Flu, the pandemic from a century ago, was actually worse for the young and healthy adults.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The problem with the common cold is that it isn't a single virus. You might be able to find a cure for one strain (or maybe even a grouping/family) but that cure would be useless for the rest.

Comment

The Spanish Flu, the pandemic from a century ago, was actually worse for the young and healthy adults.

The only reason to be concerned about this one is China reacting like it's a bioweapon.

Comment

Why? Pneumonia is the old man's friend.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/world/asia/coronavirus-news.html

As outbreaks grow and spread in Asia, Europe and the Middle East, U.S. officials warn Americans to brace for their own.

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” a C.D.C. official said.

They finally caught up with the reality actual researchers have known for a month. I'm so proud of you, CDC.

Comment

Was it a "cytokine storm" illness? As I understand it, those are harder on people who have healthy, active immune systems.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X