Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Paleo diet - Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo diet - Bad News

First the Paleo Diet is not true diet of humans and our immediate ancestors of Africa. I will provide some references, but the short version is: From analyzing bone and teeth of our ancestors , roughly their diet was mostly meat, including fish, and wild whole grains of the African Savannah,. Foraged (10 - 20%) wild fruit, tubers, and insects made up the balance. Days without meat were common, therefore a periodic fasting was a part of their life style. Our relatives the Neanderthals did have a diet of 80 to 90% Big game meat. More later on Paleo Diet.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

I was pretty skeptical of the paleo diet when I first heard about it, but I used it as good motivation to just eat more meat and vegetables.

It's funny to me that there are hefty scientific studies that have been done to show that, yes indeed, it really is important to eat your vegetables. Broccoli really is good for you! Imagine that. I love broccoli.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Fad diets smell like a goat.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I was pretty skeptical of the paleo diet when I first heard about it, but I used it as good motivation to just eat more meat and vegetables.

It's funny to me that there are hefty scientific studies that have been done to show that, yes indeed, it really is important to eat your vegetables. Broccoli really is good for you! Imagine that. I love broccoli.
        The problem is not your vegetables which are good for you. It is too much meat, and not enough whole grains. It is an unbalanced diet, and especially a problem for older men.

Frank
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          The problem is not your vegetables which are good for you. It is too much meat, and not enough whole grains. It is an unbalanced diet, and especially a problem for older men.

Frank
          My doctor told me I need to eat more meat. to counteract loss of muscle as I age.

But I think all of these fad diets are crap. People just make them up to get followers. As bad as televangelists. Eat more meat! Don't eat meat! don't eat wheat! eat only beets for a week! etc.

Comment

Well technically....one bad side effect of it is the potential for the making of excessive ketones. Also if anyone eats it for too long the body will fail to be capable of properly processing normal whole grains (as is the case for avid atkins and south beach followers) and it can cause severe "rebound" blood sugar problems and trigger a massive cortisol retention. Eating an unbalanced diet of any kind is never healthy. Although one may have specific conditions where they need extra of one kind of food and a little less of another.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If I were feeling more trollish, I could invite this guy I know who might as well be a professional Paleo apologist. He goes on for paragraphs on Facebook claiming to scientifically debunking any attack on the paleo diet. But I remain suspicious because, as the OP points out, its actual historical basis is questionable at best.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Frank
                What exactly do you need whole grains for?
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  Well technically....one bad side effect of it is the potential for the making of excessive ketones.
                  Why is that a bad side-effect?
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Why is that a bad side-effect?
                    It will injure the kidneys
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      My doctor told me I need to eat more meat. to counteract loss of muscle as I age.

But I think all of these fad diets are crap. People just make them up to get followers. As bad as televangelists. Eat more meat! Don't eat meat! don't eat wheat! eat only beets for a week! etc.
                      I question the argument that lose of muscle as one ages (scaropenia) is related to the necessity of eating more meat. In fact modern research supports that this is most definitely not the case. Scaropenia is related to changes in metabolic processes of aging. It is a little complex to deal with here, but a google search may help you to understand it. I may post a n understandable layman's article if I find one. The high consumption of meat by older people can have far more detrimental effects then positive .

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        What exactly do you need whole grains for?
                        Balanced nutrition of complex carbohydrates. White flour, white rice, potatoes, and corn are high in simple starch carbohydrates and are roughly equivalent to sugar in your diet. One point I agree with concerning the Paleo Diet is it recommends do not eat potatoes.

Frank

Frank

Comment

Balanced nutrition of complex carbohydrates. White flour, white rice, potatoes, and corn are high in simple starch carbohydrates and are roughly equivalent to sugar in your diet. One point I agree with concerning the Paleo Diet is it recommends do not eat potatoes.
                          Potatoes, corn and white rice are all complex carbs...

You can (and should) also get complex carbs from vegetables. Grains, whole or otherwise, are nowhere near necessary.

Comment

Most meat sold in markets are dangerous. For one thing, factory farms are incredibly unhealthy. Operators of those farms find it necessary to prevent disease outbreaks, not to mention the welcome side effect of fattening the farm animals quickly. Consumer Reports tested the meat output from the farms and found the meat to be badly tainted and full of antibodies you don't need. One half of the meat turned out to be full of drug-resistant bugs. Indeed, the farms are the leading source of such bugs. Government tests turned up the same findings.

Processed meats are full of toxins.

However, meat from small and humane organic farms should be OK, where animals are not given antibiotics, etc.
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Low carb diets are good. Some kinds of fat are healthy; more calories should be from fats than carbs. Also need plenty of protein.
                              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X