Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Casual marijuana use may damage your brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Paprika, MJ makes you smarter. Let's go with that

Last edited by Sparko; 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You'll please forgive me if I'm dubious of the likelihood that the abnormalities would be beneficial when they start with the act of taking some dead leaves, wrapping them in tissue paper, setting them on fire, sticking it your mouth and purposely sucking the noxious gases into your lungs.
      I see the strawmen are being gathered: look, probably it is the case that marijuana consumption is unhealthy, nonetheless claiming that this study has shown it when it hasn't is utterly false.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yeah Paprika, MJ makes you smarter. Let's go with that

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          I see the strawmen are being gathered: look, probably it is the case that marijuana consumption is unhealthy, nonetheless claiming that this study has shown it when it hasn't is utterly false.
          I don't believe I made any such claim.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            'we don't know when' thing is meaningless since the control didn't have the same condition.
            I don't understand what you're getting at. Earlier, you said that "in other words, the brains were repairing themselves after 'casual' exposure" (bolding mine), to which my point that we don't know when growth occurred is pertinent.

Comment

I don't believe I made any such claim.
              I don't believe I claimed you did

Comment

I don't believe I claimed you did
                I don't believe I claimed you did claim I claimed you did.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't believe I claimed you did claim I claimed you did.
                  I don't believe I claimed that either

Comment

I think you're burning more than straw.

Comment

I don't believe I claimed that either
                      OK, just like at home, I'm gonna get the last word!

Yes, dear.

Comment

I think you're burning more than straw.
                        So quickly projecting onto others your little foibles?

Comment

I don't understand what you're getting at. Earlier, you said that "in other words, the brains were repairing themselves after 'casual' exposure" (bolding mine), to which my point that we don't know when growth occurred is pertinent.
                          I have seem plenty of potheads in my time. None of them appeared to be "better than normal" - most looked like the stoner I posted a picture of.

When I was a teenager, I did my share of smoking pot. I wasn't a heavy user, but I partied now and then and was a casual smoker. From first hand experience I can tell you that I never felt smarter or better during those times. I became forgetful, lazy, and really didn't give a crap about school or anything else. It makes you feel nice and relaxed, but even after the high wears off, your senses and thoughts are still dulled for a few days afterward. So for someone who were to smoke "casually" every two or three days, it would be a permanent "hangover" of being a dull forgetful idiot even when not smoking.

I don't need a study to tell me MJ is bad for your brain. I experienced it.

Comment

I have seem plenty of potheads in my time. None of them appeared to be "better than normal" - most looked like the stoner I posted a picture of.

When I was a teenager, I did my share of smoking pot. I wasn't a heavy user, but I partied now and then and was a casual smoker. From first hand experience I can tell you that I never felt smarter or better during those times. I became forgetful, lazy, and really didn't give a crap about school or anything else. It makes you feel nice and relaxed, but even after the high wears off, your senses and thoughts are still dulled for a few days afterward. So for someone who were to smoke "casually" every two or three days, it would be a permanent "hangover" of being a dull forgetful idiot even when not smoking.

I don't need a study to tell me MJ is bad for your brain. I experienced it.
                            Again, I'm not disputing that marijuana is bad for health, but the idea that the study referenced in the OP has demonstrated that it is so.

Comment

Again, I'm not disputing that marijuana is bad for health, but the idea that the study referenced in the OP has demonstrated that it is so.
                              Duuuuuude!

Comment

In this context, abnormalities means differences in certain parts of the brains when comparing marijuana users to non-users. There is nothing in the study that indicates whether such differences are bad.
                                "Researchers have long been concerned about the effects of marijuana on the developing brain - teens and adolescents under the age of 25. Preliminary research has shown that early onset smokers are slower at tasks, have lower IQs later in life and even have a higher risk of stroke." (from that same article)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X