Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Accident and Emergency Ward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I had pet insurance when I got my puppy 4 years ago. It was $9.95 a month, but then as he got older they kept raising the monthly premium. He just turned 4 and they were up to $20/month and wanting to go higher. I decided to cancel it at that point. He sees the vet a few times a year and the insurance only covered extreme emergency stuff like surgery, not routine office visits which still costs a couple of hundred dollars each visit it seems (for the vaccinations and checkups). I figured I would be better off just saving the premiums in my savings account myself to be used in case he needs surgery for anything (which would probably only be likely when he gets old).

The nice thing about HSA (Health Savings Accounts) is that the money I put into it is before taxes so I don't pay taxes on it, And I am not taxed on it when I take money out. But it can only be used for medical expenses. The extra that I don't use each year, I have invested in stocks so it can grow. That way I hopefully will have a good nest egg there for when I retire.
    Yes, pet-care premiums rise very high as a dog gets older. We only paid about 30.00 a month for our four year old but our 11 year old cost about 175.00 each month. Those premiums only covered sickness and injury. That's why we opened a doggy account, so now we are free to decide what to do without having to send in any application or wait for anybody else's decisions.

We may open a similar account for ourselves, since it costs about £55 to see a vet for 15 minutes it wouldn't shock us too much if we found a private medical practice that charged, say, £100 for an appointment.
    Last edited by eider; 03-14-2023, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

(silently in my head)
      That's kind of you, if you would be praying for me.....after all, this thread is about my A&E visit last Thursday.
      You don't live anywhere nearby but if you were a street-pastor door-knocking around here you could even park your car on our drive........

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You are too loud!
        I wonder what he was actually praying about, or was he just making a joke about praying?

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

That's not a bad deal........ We pay £200 a month in to an account for our pet's care, and last autumn we ;paid £4500 for an operation on one of them. Yesterday I suggested to my wife that we start a similar account for own own healthcare and she likes the idea.

pic! Little Smew (Smoo)
          P1020532.JPG
          Wow! That's a whole lot of money, over $240 USD. I don't pay that much for my own health care.

Comment

That's kind of you, if you would be praying for me.....after all, this thread is about my A&E visit last Thursday.
            You don't live anywhere nearby but if you were a street-pastor door-knocking around here you could even park your car on our drive........
            And you would take me to the best fish & chips place around? My treat?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder what he was actually praying about, or was he just making a joke about praying?
              both
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Wow! That's a whole lot of money, over $240 USD. I don't pay that much for my own health care.
                Honest..,.... full-cover pet insurance for older dogs costs a lot of money, unless the cover excludes expensive conditions.
                Many owners would not pay for such operations to be carried on old dogs of 14 yrs, the average instruction is probably a put-to-sleep one.
                But we get a lot of 'happy' out of Smew.

Comment

And you would take me to the best fish & chips place around? My treat?
                  Yes, I would.......... Large Cod 'n' chips for two in the best shop around (Tankerton Sea front) is £20, but you have to take cash, the owner isn't linked to any of the card companies.

Comment

both
                    That's cool........ A wonderful rabbi once told me that God loves laughter.

Comment

Yes, I would.......... Large Cod 'n' chips for two in the best shop around (Tankerton Sea front) is £20, but you have to take cash, the owner isn't linked to any of the card companies.
                      Cod, and North Atlantic Whitefish, are my personal favorites.

Comment

I just had blackened sea bass a couple weeks ago. Salmon used to be my favorite, but that sea bass ....mmmMMMmmmMMMmm ... my new favorite.

Comment

All good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I just had blackened sea bass a couple weeks ago. Salmon used to be my favorite, but that sea bass ....mmmMMMmmmMMMmm ... my new favorite.
                            Yup, some good see bass, blackened as you say, can be quite good!

Comment

Yup, some good see bass, blackened as you say, can be quite good!
                              What about sole? Very hard to catch without rear facing pockets in the trawl net.
                              I used to beam trawl for these after dark, because in any light they could figure out an escape.
                              Dover Sole is especially valuable because the flesh is pure white and without any dark flecks in it. I only caught Thames Estuary Sole but they were delicious.

Comment

What about sole? Very hard to catch without rear facing pockets in the trawl net.
                                I used to beam trawl for these after dark, because in any light they could figure out an escape.
                                Dover Sole is especially valuable because the flesh is pure white and without any dark flecks in it. I only caught Thames Estuary Sole but they were delicious.
                                Hmmm.... don't know that I've ever tried sole. I'll have to look into that.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X