Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Electronic Detox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
    Light from these devices send messages to the pineal gland to halt production of melatonin. Avoid any interaction with any electronic device after 6 pm for a deeper sleep.
    I had read that. Thanks for the reminder.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I'm wondering about notifications. I find them annoying and have them turned off except for email. I would think a barrage of notifications coming in all the time would be at least distracting. I think they got started to use people's fear of missing out. What do you do when a site asks to provide notifications?
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        I'm wondering about notifications. I find them annoying and have them turned off except for email. I would think a barrage of notifications coming in all the time would be at least distracting. I think they got started to use people's fear of missing out. What do you do when a site asks to provide notifications?
        Block them unless there's a really good reason not to.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

On websites I always block them That is just another way for them to push advertising to you. On phone apps, I generally have them turned off except on a few of them like my email app or the weather app. And if I do enable them and then they start sending out "hey you might have missed this special item" like amazon started doing, I turn off the notifications.

Comment

I signed up for the GoPuff app to get some ice cream delivered once when my wife wasn't feeling good. I then started getting occasional "you are feeling very hungry" push notifications.

Even something like a weather app, I wouldn't want push notifications for. If there's actually something like a tornado warning, any phone will automatically pass along the warning from the National Weather Service. (Living near the confluence of three counties, I tend to accidentally get unneeded ones from one of the others, but it's better to err on the side of caution.)

I have a couple apps for group chats and I have those set up to notify if someone directly mentions me there, which rarely happens.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Saw this article over at BBC News about people quitting social media for various reasons. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63482162

The article also says use of social media is showing a decline. I wonder if we've past peak social media usage.

Comment

Saw this article over at BBC News about people quitting social media for various reasons. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63482162

The article also says use of social media is showing a decline. I wonder if we've past peak social media usage.
                Except for Tweb, right?

Right?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I signed up for the GoPuff app to get some ice cream delivered once when my wife wasn't feeling good. I then started getting occasional "you are feeling very hungry" push notifications.

Even something like a weather app, I wouldn't want push notifications for. If there's actually something like a tornado warning, any phone will automatically pass along the warning from the National Weather Service. (Living near the confluence of three counties, I tend to accidentally get unneeded ones from one of the others, but it's better to err on the side of caution.)

I have a couple apps for group chats and I have those set up to notify if someone directly mentions me there, which rarely happens.
                  That's why everyone turned off their weather radios they got a few decades ago. Getting woken up at 3AM for a watch some 75 miles away got old real quick.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Except for Tweb, right?

Right?
                    Of course, Tweb forever!

I don't view Tweb as social media since we don't have a large corporation trying to make money off us. Also, frankly, as annoying as some debates can get, they still probably aren't as bad as on say Twitter.

Comment

Of course, Tweb forever!

I don't view Tweb as social media since we don't have a large corporation trying to make money off us.
                      That you know of...

Also, frankly, as annoying as some debates can get, they still probably aren't as bad as on say Twitter.
                      I have a hard time even reading "debates" on twitter or facebook. The format is terrible for trying to follow any discussion. It's more like here are a ton of comments and insults, than any sort of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        That's why everyone turned off their weather radios they got a few decades ago. Getting woken up at 3AM for a watch some 75 miles away got old real quick.
                        I feel like a terrible person saying this, but do I really need Amber Alert notifications for halfway across the state?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X