Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

A “Striking” Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Omicron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A “Striking” Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Omicron

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ls-and-omicron

A recent study by Israeli scientists found “striking” differences in the chances of contracting severe COVID-19 illness between individuals with sufficient levels of vitamin D prior to catching the virus and those who did not.

Half the vitamin-deficient people developed severe, life-threatening illness compared to fewer than 10 percent of those who had normal levels. The study is the first to examine existing vitamin levels in people beforethey contracted COVID. “We found it remarkable, and striking,” said the lead author, “to see the difference in the chances of becoming a severe patient when you are lacking in vitamin D compared to when you’re not.”
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Great, I take vitamin-D supplements and my last test shows normal levels of it (62 ng/mL)
    Last edited by Sparko; 02-14-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I've been taking multi-vitamins - PLUS - an extra Vitamin D3 supplement every day for the past year, and I still caught Omicron in January. Plus, I'd had covid in April 2020 and was vaccinated with Pfizer last August.

If that covid bullet has your number on it, it's gonna get you.

Comment

I also take Vit. D because of my osteoporosis. Did they give any information about how much D one needs to take to have normal levels?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

3 slices of bacon provides roughly 1% of your daily recommended dose of vitamin D.

That means I have no choice but to eat 300 slices which at 12 to 15 slices per package would be between 21 and 25 packs. Or as we say around here, a light lunch.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            I also take Vit. D because of my osteoporosis. Did they give any information about how much D one needs to take to have normal levels?
            From the article:

Vitamin D is largely synthesized naturally in human skin and requires direct exposure to sunlight (specifically, UV-B). Artificial light, no matter how bright, doesn’t cut it. Given how the pandemic has kept many people primarily indoors for over two years, it is easy to see how a considerable number of individuals might have fallen below the threshold for adequate vitamin levels—which conventionally is at least 20 nanograms per milliliter of blood.

New data, however, indicate that even this is too low. A minimum level of 50 mg/mL is now advised. Levels below his are said to cause weak innate immune responses to common that which cause post-operative infections.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

From the article:

Vitamin D is largely synthesized naturally in human skin and requires direct exposure to sunlight (specifically, UV-B). Artificial light, no matter how bright, doesn’t cut it. Given how the pandemic has kept many people primarily indoors for over two years, it is easy to see how a considerable number of individuals might have fallen below the threshold for adequate vitamin levels—which conventionally is at least 20 nanograms per milliliter of blood.

New data, however, indicate that even this is too low. A minimum level of 50 mg/mL is now advised. Levels below his are said to cause weak innate immune responses to common that which cause post-operative infections.
              Thanks. I've never had my levels tested. So I was wondering how much is enough to achieve the 50 mg/mL. I have been taking over 2000 UI for several years now, and have not had covid in any way.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Thanks. I've never had my levels tested. So I was wondering how much is enough to achieve the 50 mg/mL. I have been taking over 2000 UI for several years now, and have not had covid in any way.
                I take 10,000 IU's a day but I don't get a lot of sunlight due to my job.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

50 mg seems excessive. misprint?
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    Yeah. Probably meant 50 nanograms
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

I take 10,000 IU's a day but I don't get a lot of sunlight due to my job.
                      I don't take that much. My doctor has said that 2000 is enough for my osteo, but I've also been on bone-builders for about 8 years and they don't seem to do much good.

I sure don't get enough sunlight, either. In the summer I burn too easily and had and issue about 10 years ago with a pre-cancerous skin lesion, so I stay out of the sun. And our winter's have been so dismal for at least a decade now, so I don't get much sun then, either.

Comment

"For vitamin D, dose and blood level are important. The recommended adult dose is 5000 IU/day, but this should be adjusted for body weight. Since vitamin D is fat-soluble, heavier individuals may need a larger dose such as 10,000 IU/day. After taking a dose for several months, a blood test is advised; the ideal blood level of 25OHD is 50 - 60 ng/ml (125-150 nmol/L). A recommended adult dose of magnesium is 400-600 mg/day, including diet and supplements, but this also may need to be adjusted for weight. Recommended doses of vitamin C are 1500-3000 mg/day or more, taken in divided doses. You should discuss doses of essential nutrients with your doctor."

From here.

I've seen (but can't quickly locate) other sources recommending blood levels even somewhat higher than that.

Also, various sources recommend concurrent supplementation with vitamin K to prevent calcium from building up in soft tissues, but taking K can be a problem for people on prescription blood-thinners.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          Yes. From the study,

Patients with vitamin D deficiency (<20 ng/mL) were 14 times more likely to have severe or critical disease than patients with 25(OH)D ≥40 ng/mL (odds ratio [OR], 14; 95% confidence interval [CI], 4 to 51; p < 0.001).

Comment

Depends on your body. My body doesn't seem to process Vitamin D very well because of some meds I take. So I was taking 6,000 i.u. a day (3,000 morning, 3,000 eve) and I was still low, so they added 0.25 mcg calcitriol (which is activated vitamin D) and now my levels are about 60 ng/ml. Most people would easily reach that level with less vitamin D. Just get yourself tested.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X