Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Covid-19 continues to spread dominantly among the unvaccinated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Please cite your article concerning the first infection rate among the unvaccinated, and NOT the statistics of the unvaccinated getting a second infection of COVID-19.

The current research clearly demonstrates that the vaccinated have milder symptoms than the unvaccinated getting their first infection.

Source: https://www.npr.org/2021/09/10/1036023973/covid-19-unvaccinated-deaths-11-times-more-likely

Unvaccinated People Are 11 Times More Likely To Die Of COVID-19, New Research Finds
    September 10, 20215:43 PM ET
    VANESSA ROMO

The CDC's new research found that those who were vaccinated were nearly five times less likely to get infected, 10 times less likely to get so sick they ended up in the hospital and 11 times less likely to die.

Chandan Khanna/AFP via Getty Images

Unvaccinated people are 11 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than those who are fully vaccinated, new research has found, bolstering evidence that the inoculations continue to provide powerful protection, even against the delta variant.

The latest studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released on Friday also found that vaccinated people were nearly five times less likely to get infected and 10 times less likely to get so sick they ended up in the hospital.

The CDC "looked at COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths in 13 states and offers further evidence of the power of vaccination," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, said at a White House COVID-19 briefing on Friday.

"As we have shown, study after study, vaccination works," she added.

However, the studies — which analyzed data from 600,000 Americans between April 4 and July 17 — suggest that the effectiveness of the vaccines may have dropped as the delta variant became dominant. One explanation could be waning immunity. A second is that the variant is better at evading the immune system. It also could be some combination of the two factors.

Another study examining data from nine states from June through August indicated that the Moderna vaccine may be the most effective of the three available in the United States.

Article continues after sponsor message
    The research found that across all ages, vaccine effectiveness was "significantly higher" among Moderna vaccine recipients — at 95% — than among Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson vaccine recipients, with vaccine effectiveness of 80% and 60%, respectively.

As of Friday, White House officials said nearly 75% of eligible Americans — those 12 and older — have gotten at least their first shot, and the CDC reported about 54% of the total population is fully vaccinated.

© Copyright Original Source

The problem is that you, and your articles, are just like most everyone else. You conflate the covid naive and recovered into a scientifically inaccurate term "unvaccinated" and that throws your conclusions off horribly.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

The problem is that you, and your articles, are just like most everyone else. You conflate the covid naive and recovered into a scientifically inaccurate term "unvaccinated" and that throws your conclusions off horribly.
      No coherent response. Please respond to the valid references. from good sources.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

No coherent response. Please respond to the valid references. from good sources.
        The fact that you suffer from cognitive decline does not negate the validity of the multiple studies I have referenced on TWeb. It is a quantifiable fact that you conflate covid naive people with the superior immune response of the recovered unvaccinated. Every time you conflate the two, you show your ignorance of the dozens of scientific studies. And your puerile Pee Wee Herman level responses just prove what all of us know.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Edit -- Sorry, wrong thread.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The fact that you suffer from cognitive decline does not negate the validity of the multiple studies I have referenced on TWeb. It is a quantifiable fact that you conflate covid naive people with the superior immune response of the recovered unvaccinated. Every time you conflate the two, you show your ignorance of the dozens of scientific studies. And your puerile Pee Wee Herman level responses just prove what all of us know.

You have not posted any scientific references that support your opinion concerning the topic of this thread, and be specific

Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-05-2021, 11:44 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates. Misinformation is to blame

Updated December 5, 202110:27 AM ET
              Heard on Morning Edition

Since May 2021, people living in counties that voted heavily for Donald Trump during the last presidential election have been nearly three times as likely to die from COVID-19 as those who live in areas that went for now-President Biden. That's according to a new analysis by NPR that examines how political polarization and misinformation are driving a significant share of the deaths in the pandemic.

NPR looked at deaths per 100,000 people in roughly 3,000 counties across the U.S. from May 2021, the point at which vaccinations widely became available. People living in counties that went 60% or higher for Trump in November 2020 had 2.7 times the death rates of those that went for Biden. Counties with an even higher share of the vote for Trump saw higher COVID-19 mortality rates.

In October, the reddest tenth of the country saw death rates that were six times higher than the bluest tenth, according to Charles Gaba, an independent health care analyst who's been tracking partisanship trends during the pandemic and helped to review NPR's methodology. Those numbers have dropped slightly in recent weeks, Gaba says: "It's back down to around 5.5 times higher."

The trend was robust, even when controlling for age, which is the primary demographic risk of COVID-19 mortality. The data also reveal a major contributing factor to the death rate difference: The higher the vote share for Trump, the lower the vaccination rate.

SHOTS - HEALTH NEWS

The U.S. Surgeon General Is Calling COVID-19 Misinformation An 'Urgent Threat'

Recent polling data that show Republicans are now the largest group of unvaccinated individuals in the United States, more than any other single demographic group. Polling also shows that mistrust in official sources of information and exposure to misinformation, about both COVID-19 and the vaccines, run high among Republicans.

"An unvaccinated person is three times as likely to lean Republican as they are to lean Democrat," says Liz Hamel, vice president of public opinion and survey research at the Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonpartisan health policy think tank that tracks attitudes toward vaccination. Political affiliation is now the strongest indicator of whether someone is vaccinated, she says: "If I wanted to guess if somebody was vaccinated or not and I could only know one thing about them, I would probably ask what their party affiliation is."

It was not always this way. Earlier in the pandemic, many different groups expressed hesitancy toward getting vaccinated. African Americans, younger Americans and rural Americans all had significant portions of their demographic that resisted vaccination. But over time, the vaccination rates in those demographics have risen, while the rate of Republican vaccination against COVID-19 has flatlined at just 59%, according to the latest numbers from Kaiser.By comparison, 91% of Democrats are vaccinated.

Being unvaccinated increases the risk of death from COVID-19 dramatically, according to the CDC. The vast majority of deaths since May, around 150,000, have occurred among the unvaccinated, says Peter Hotez, dean for the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.

While vaccine hesitancy exists in many different groups, Hotez suspects that the deaths are "overwhelmingly" concentrated in more politically conservative communities. "How does this make sense at any level?" he asks.
              Deadly consequences

The consequences for individuals are real. Mark Valentine still remembers when his brother called him to tell him he had contracted coronavirus. Valentine is a trial consultant in North Carolina. His brother Phil, 61, was a well-known conservative talk show host in Nashville, Tenn., who often expressed skepticism about vaccination.
              Enlarge this image
              Conservative talk radio host Phil Valentine (right), pictured with his brother, Mark (second from left). Phil had been skeptical about COVID and the COVID vaccines, sometimes mocking them on his talk show. Earlier this year, he contracted the virus and died.

Courtesy of Mark Valentine

Neither brother was vaccinated, and neither one was particularly worried about Phil's positive result. His brother said he was trying several alternative therapies commonly promoted in conservative circles. "He said, 'I've got the ivermectin, I started it this morning, and I don't think it's going to be a big deal,' " Mark Valentine recalls. "And frankly I didn't think about it anymore."

But a week later, Mark said he got a call from his brother's wife saying that the two were going to the hospital. "Before I knew it, he was in there and I couldn't get to him, couldn't talk to him," Valentine recalls. "His situation took a nosedive like you can't believe."

Phil Valentine died in August about five weeks after he announced he had tested positive for COVID-19.

Misinformation appears to be a major factor in the lagging vaccination rates. The Kaiser Family Foundation's polling shows Republicans are far more likely to believe false statements about COVID-19 and vaccines. A full 94% of Republicans think one or more false statements about COVID-19 and vaccines might be true, and 46% believe four or more statements might be true. By contrast, only 14% of Democrats believe four or more false statements about the disease.

Frank

Comment

Again absolutely NO multiple (dozens?) scientific references concerning the subject of this thread., I have provided references with data from FOX, Independent Newspaper, and NPR, and they all agree.

Still waiting ?????
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-07-2021, 07:33 AM.

Frank

Comment

Again absolutely NO multiple (dozens?) scientific references concerning the subject of this thread., I have provided references with data from FOX, Independent Newspaper, and NPR, and they all agree.

Still waiting ?????
                  Again, the ONLY point I am making is the idiocy of grouping the recovered but unvaxxed in with the covid naive unvaxxed. But times they are a changing. Maybe you can hop on board?

https://ncrc.jhsph.edu/research/comp...gh-infections/
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Again, the ONLY point I am making is the idiocy of grouping the recovered but unvaxxed in with the covid naive unvaxxed. But times they are a changing. Maybe you can hop on board?

https://ncrc.jhsph.edu/research/comp...gh-infections/
                    This thread is NOT about reinfections of the vaccinated versus unvaccinated. That is your thread.This thread is about the dominance of infections, hospitalizations and deaths among the unvaccinated and partially vaccinated versus the fully vaccinated.

I acknowledged your reference, but that is NOT the issue in this thread,

Frank

Comment

This thread is NOT about reinfections of the vaccinated versus unvaccinated. That is your thread.This thread is about the dominance of infections, hospitalizations and deaths among the unvaccinated and partially vaccinated versus the fully vaccinated.

I acknowledged your reference, but that is NOT the issue in this thread,
                      Your thread's study ignores the unvaccinated but recovered. It makes zero reference to them. Therefore, it is inaccurate and incomplete.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Your thread's study ignores the unvaccinated but recovered. It makes zero reference to them. Therefore, it is inaccurate and incomplete.
                        I acknowledged your source, and it is not relevant to first infections, hospitalizations and deaths rate of fully vaccinated versus unvaccinated and not fully vaccinated, which is the subject of this thread..

Frank

Comment

I acknowledged your source, and it is not relevant to first infections, hospitalizations and deaths rate of fully vaccinated versus unvaccinated and not fully vaccinated, which is the subject of this thread..
                          Nothing in your OP suggested they were only talking about "first infections". In fact, they are treating the extremely rare reinfections as new infections.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Nothing in your OP suggested they were only talking about "first infections". In fact, they are treating the extremely rare reinfections as new infections.
                            I believe they are added according to this source and compared to the number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths the numbers are relatively very small cpm[ared to the tota; infections, hospitalizations, and deaths..

Source: https://www.health.state.mn.us/news/pressrel/2021/mediaadv110121.html

Media Advisory: Reinfection cases added to COVID-19 web data today

Today’s update includes 2,857 newly reported cases and 7,597 reinfection cases recorded since the start of the pandemic for a total of 10,454

As part of the data updates announced last Wednesday, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) today is adding the number of COVID-19 reinfections to the total shown under the Minnesota Case Overview of the Situation Update webpage.

As of Nov. 1, Minnesota has had 8,184 instances of reinfections since the start of the pandemic. Of that total number, 587 were already included in the state’s case total as separate cases due to discrepancies in matching people with multiple tests. Including the remaining 7,597 reinfections in the case overview pushes today’s case figure to 10,454 — 7,597 are the reinfections being added and 2,857 are new cases.

As the pandemic stretches past 20 months, some people have become infected with COVID-19 more than once. This is called a reinfection. As reinfections have happened during the pandemic, MDH has been collecting that information, but we have not been including those reinfections in our overall case counts until now due to the lack of a standard national case definition. Each of these reinfections was still treated as a case and follow up occurred to provide them with information on what they should do after receiving a positive test result.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists recently provided an official case definition for a reinfection case. They define a reinfection as when a person tests positive for COVID-19 more than 90 days after a previous positive test. This formal, standardized definition is a key step paving the way for MDH to now report reinfections in our data, and so we will be making that addition.

Previously, if a person tested positive for COVID-19 more than once, they were still only counted once on MDH’s Situation Update webpage. Moving forward, MDH will start reporting reinfections as a separate total over time. The total number of people infected with COVID-19 one or more times will continue to be reported with case data.

The continued spread of COVID-19, particularly with the high transmissibility of the delta variant and risk of reinfection, highlights why it is so important for everyone to continue taking steps to slow the spread. Information on preventing spread can be found on the MDH website at Protect Yourself & Others: COVID-19.

It is important for people to get vaccinated even if they have had COVID-19 in the past. Even if someone had COVID-19 in the past and recovered, they are at risk for reinfection, and each infection brings risks to a person’s health and the health of people around them. In fact, a new CDC study released last week showed that among adults hospitalized with symptoms of COVID-19, unvaccinated people who were recently infected with COVID-19 (90-179 days earlier) were more than five times more likely to test positive for COVID-19 compared with people who were recently fully vaccinated (see Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 Among Adults Hospitalized with COVID-19–Like Illness with Infection-Induced or mRNA Vaccine-Induced SARS-CoV-2 Immunity — Nine States, January–September 2021).

Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-07-2021, 05:44 PM.

Frank

Comment

The deaths due to Covid-19 hit new milestone 800,000, the highest in the world. As Covid-19 evolves the infections appear milder overall for Omicron, but the fatalities and hospitalizations are still dominated by the unvaccinated. This pattern of becoming less severe as the virus evolves is similar to the pattern of flu viruses.

Source: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/us-covid-19-death-toll-tops-800k-amid-increasing-delta-omicron-spread

US COVID-19 death toll tops 800K amid increasing delta, omicron spread

By Kelly Hayes
                              Published December 14, 2021 7:05PM

More than 800,000 people have now died in the U.S. from COVID-19 as health officials continue to monitor the spread of the delta and omicron variants of the coronavirus.

Globally, more than 5.3 million virus-related deaths have been reported, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
                              by Taboola

The year began with the COVID-19 death toll at about 350,000 in the U.S., which doubled once October hit. Since March 2020, nearly 50 million people have tested positive for the virus in the country, JHU data shows.

The grim milestone in the U.S. is especially frustrating to public health leaders and medical professionals on the front lines because vaccines have been available to all eligible Americans for nearly six months, with data showing the shots overwhelmingly protect against hospitalizations and death.

FILE - A white flag memorial installation honoring the nearly 27,000 Los Angeles County residents who have died from COVID-19 stands outside Griffith Observatory on Nov.18, 2021 in Los Angeles, Calif.

Now, as the year ends, the delta variant is fueling another wave of hospitalizations, court battles are brewing over vaccine mandates and fresh questions are swirling about the new omicron variant.

The rate of new cases in the country remains at an alarming level, health officials say. Data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed the 7-day moving average of COVID-19 cases hovering around 118,000. That’s up from late October where the average stood around 67,000.

U.S. health officials are urging people to get vaccinated and get a booster shot, which could become a routine practice. According to the CDC, more than 238 million people over the age of 5 have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, representing 76.5 % of the demographic.

On Sunday, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci said that Americans may "just have to deal with" the prospect of getting more coronavirus booster shots.

"If it becomes necessary to get yet another boost, then we’ll just have to deal with it when that occurs," Fauci said.

Meanwhile, health officials continue to monitor and see how COVID-19 vaccines hold up against the omicron variant which many scientists believe is milder than the delta variant — a strain that was responsible for a surge in cases over the summer.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, said the data is very limited and the agency is working on a more detailed analysis of what the new mutant form of the coronavirus might hold for the U.S.

"What we generally know is the more mutations a variant has, the higher level you need your immunity to be. ... We want to make sure we bolster everybody’s immunity. And that’s really what motivated the decision to expand our guidance," Walensky said, referencing the recent approval of boosters for all adults.

She said "the disease is mild" in almost all of the cases seen so far, with reported symptoms mainly cough, congestion and fatigue. One person was hospitalized, but no deaths have been reported, CDC officials said.

Some cases can become increasingly severe as days and weeks pass, and Walensky noted that the data is a very early, first glimpse of U.S. omicron infections. The earliest onset of symptoms of any of the first 40 or so cases was Nov. 15, according to the CDC.

The omicron variant was first identified in South Africa last month and has since been reported in 57 countries, according to the World Health Organization.

Last week, scientists in South Africa reported a small laboratory study that found antibodies created by vaccines were not as effective at preventing omicron infections as they were at stopping other versions of the coronavirus.

On Wednesday, vaccine manufacturer Pfizer said that while two doses may not be protective enough to prevent infection, lab tests showed a booster increased levels of virus-fighting antibodies by 25-fold.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-15-2021, 09:36 AM.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X