Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Harvard And Stanford Doctors Claim ‘Fauci Fooled America’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard And Stanford Doctors Claim ‘Fauci Fooled America’

Harvard And Stanford Doctors Claim ‘Fauci Fooled America’

On Monday, two university doctors penned an op-ed that explores “How Fauci Fooled America,” claiming that the top COVID doctor got it wrong on everything from natural immunity to masks during the pandemic.

The column appeared in Newsweek and was authored by Martin Kulldorff, Ph.D., who is an epidemiologist, biostatistician, and Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Jay Bhattacharya, MD, Ph.D., who is a Professor of Health Policy at Stanford University School of Medicine.

Kulldorf And Bhattacharya On Fauci: ‘Reality And Scientific Studies Have Now Caught Up With Him’

The doctors say that it was understandable why so many leaders and Americans would listen to why Dr. Anthony Fauci when the pandemic began, but now say the evidence of what has unfolded during the runs counter to his advice.

The doctor duo wrote, “When the pandemic hit, America needed someone to turn to for advice. The media and public naturally looked to Dr. Anthony Fauci—the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, an esteemed laboratory immunologist and one of President Donald Trump’s chosen COVID advisers.”

“Unfortunately, Dr. Fauci got major epidemiology and public health questions wrong. Reality and scientific studies have now caught up with him,” Kulldorf and Bhattacharya wrote.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

We had Canadian doctors, very highly qualified, who said the same things in January of this year.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Fauci is more political bureaucrat than scientist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        And a LARGE reason for the resistance to vaccination.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can believe it. After almost 2 years of this, it still does not look, feel or even seem like there is a pandemic in my neck of the woods...that is until you turn on the news.

Comment

Are you aware these folks are defending health care workers who refuse vaccination, calling them heros?
            Under Fauci's mandates, hospitals are firing heroic nurses who recovered from COVID they contracted while caring for patients.

Partisan political attacks against Fauci don't make him political any more than religious attacks make the theory of evolution religious.

There's nothing novel here.

Partisan investment in positions directly contradicted by science always lead to attacks against the scientists presenting the data. If the partisans are often religious, as in the attacks against Galileo and Darwin, there's no bar to attacks scientists themselves, as in the attacks on Pasteur for promoting germ theory and Wegener for promoting plate tectonics.

Or consider the continuing attacks on climate scientists like Michael Mann, famously likened by Steyn to the pedophile coach Jerry Sandusky, riffing on the fact they were both from Penn State, initiating a libel case that's still under litigation.

Or in this case, against Fauci, for pointing out facts the odd Harvard or Stanford fringe job found uncomfortable.

Amusingly enough, Newsweek has since inserted debunkings of the debunkers.
            Mounting evidence indicates that natural immunity is stronger and longer lasting than vaccine-induced immunity. [Eds.: Long-term trends are still unclear. A recent study reached the opposite conclusion, but was criticized by an author of this op-ed.]

This op-ed is a case study in how science doesn't get decided by debates, and why it shouldn't be argued in op-eds. The mandates are working, proving their opponents wrong. Certainly, it was possible mandates would cause crises in fire protection, or even in health care delivery. But that didn't happen. In the face of data contradicting a favored hypothesis, an honest scientist heads back to the board, eraser in hand.

I can sympathize, to some extent. I didn't care for Al Gore, or any of the environmentalists, as far back as his 1992 tome, Earth in the Balance. As a former nuke, I was invested, and these folks were attacking my investment. But as the one-sigma results on global warming in the 90s started adding sigmas, I had my own tipping point. Sometimes you just have to admit you were wrong.

Instead, these two took pen in hand to attack the messenger.

Science is painstaking work filled with incremental advances toward hesitant conclusions. We've had enough collateral damage from this pandemic. Leave the scientists be.
            Last edited by Juvenal; 11-07-2021, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Are you aware these folks are defending health care workers who refuse vaccination, calling them heros?
              Under Fauci's mandates, hospitals are firing heroic nurses who recovered from COVID they contracted while caring for patients.

If they have already had COVID and recovered then they shouldn't be required to get the vaccination. But nothing in your post contradicts my statement that Fauci is more of a political bureaucrat than a scientist.

Comment

If they have already had COVID and recovered then they shouldn't be required to get the vaccination.
                Every single study I've looked at says otherwise. No exceptions.

I don't expect a fast food worker to know vaccinations add protection to those who've previously been infected, because that's not their job. Health care workers have no such excuse for not knowing this, and if they don't know it, they have no business providing health care. They need to find another line of work. Fire them all, and do it yesterday. We've got enough quacks practicing in our healthcare system.

Usually it's a bit tougher to spot them.

But nothing in your post contradicts my statement that Fauci is more of a political bureaucrat than a scientist.
                Fauci's decades of work with NIAID are all the contradiction needed. That should go without saying.

I'm asking you why you think it's okay to attack this guy because some political hack told you it was okay to pile on with the rest of the partisans. My position is pretty clear. It's not. There's a long historical line of political, religious, and partisan attacks against scientists, and you don't need to join that shameful parade. Not just because the attacks are baseless though that's plenty good enough reason, not just because they're promoted by folks whose motives don't bear much examination to say nothing of their resumes, but because the promoting the attacks is as wrong ethically as the attacks themselves are wrong on their merits.

False accusations are so poisonous they made it into the Bible's Top 10 "shall not" list.

Kinda like murder and lying, most of us don't need the Bible to know these are bad things, but if ya do ... there ya are.

Comment

Every single study I've looked at says otherwise. No exceptions.

I don't expect a fast food worker to know vaccinations add protection to those who've previously been infected, because that's not their job. Health care workers have no such excuse for not knowing this, and if they don't know it, they have no business providing health care. They need to find another line of work. Fire them all, and do it yesterday. We've got enough quacks practicing in our healthcare system.

Usually it's a bit tougher to spot them.

Fauci's decades of work with NIAID are all the contradiction needed. That should go without saying.
                  As a BUREAUCRAT.

I'm asking you why you think it's okay to attack this guy because some political hack told you it was okay to pile on with the rest of the partisans.
                  Nice straw man.

My position is pretty clear. It's not. There's a long historical line of political, religious, and partisan attacks against scientists, and you don't need to join that shameful parade. Not just because the attacks are baseless though that's plenty good enough reason, not just because they're promoted by folks whose motives don't bear much examination to say nothing of their resumes, but because the promoting the attacks is as wrong ethically as the attacks themselves are wrong on their merits.

False accusations are so poisonous they made it into the Bible's Top 10 "shall not" list.

Kinda like murder and lying, most of us don't need the Bible to know these are bad things, but if ya do ... there ya are.
                  burn baby burn!

Comment

Every single study I've looked at says otherwise. No exceptions..
                    I'm throwing the BS flag here. Those studies say that recovered people "should" get the vaccine. If any say they MUST, they're full of crap.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Good on them both.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

As a BUREAUCRAT.
                        NIAID's job is to apply science to public health. That's why NIAID is run by scientists, spending their days reading papers and applying the results. Fauci in particular has never stopped seeing patients, which makes the accusation against him entirely risible. It's not like this isn't well known, either. So yeah, you were wrong the first time you said it, and every time since, and shouting your mistakes doesn't do squat beyond taking away your last excuse, that it was nothing more than a mistake borne of ignorance.

burn baby burn!
                        Spare us the handwaves, instapundit. Here's how this works. You present evidence, like I did, that political, religious, and partisan attacks are a serious problem, and then look at attacks skeptically. This one didn't take much looking. And it didn't take much looking to see where the accusation came from. You didn't do your own research on this one. You picked up the accusation from fringe media.

Anybody can toss accusations around. The real work is in showing they're true, and you're phoning your work in. Not only is there no strawman here, you haven't even tried to demonstrate it exists. You obviously need help mapping that process out, so here you go:

1. Here's the actual position ...
                        2. Here's how you're portraying it ...
                        3. Hence your portrayal is a strawman.

You're stuck at zero, pirate.

Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

I'm throwing the BS flag here. Those studies say that recovered people "should" get the vaccine. If any say they MUST, they're full of crap.
                          The context was health care workers, not just the generic recovered population. These are the people most likely to infect the most vulnerable if they fail to take precautions. All of us "should" wash our hands regularly. Health care workers "must" do so before approaching another patient.

It's a different standard.

Comment

NIAID's job is to apply science to public health. That's why NIAID is run by scientists, spending their days reading papers and applying the results. Fauci in particular has never stopped seeing patients, which makes the accusation against him entirely risible. It's not like this isn't well known, either. So yeah, you were wrong the first time you said it, and every time since, and shouting your mistakes doesn't do squat beyond taking away your last excuse, that it was nothing more than a mistake borne of ignorance.
                            He is still more political bureaucrat than scientist. You can disagree all you want.

Spare us the handwaves, instapundit. Here's how this works. You present evidence, like I did, that political, religious, and partisan attacks are a serious problem, and then look at attacks skeptically. This one didn't take much looking. And it didn't take much looking to see where the accusation came from. You didn't do your own research on this one. You picked up the accusation from fringe media.

Anybody can toss accusations around. The real work is in showing they're true, and you're phoning your work in. Not only is there no strawman here, you haven't even tried to demonstrate it exists. You obviously need help mapping that process out, so here you go:

1. Here's the actual position ...
                            2. Here's how you're portraying it ...
                            3. Hence your portrayal is a strawman.

You're stuck at zero, pirate.

Good luck with that.
                            You went off on a bender, making up a straw man to burn down arguing against stuff I never even said.

I made a simple statement: "Fauci is more political bureaucrat than scientist."

Everything else is all in your head. I made no attacks on him. I made an observation. How about you take a chill pill and calm down a bit?

Comment

Interesting video of Fauci from the 1980s that hasn't aged well:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1458072974968463360
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X