Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

My Natural Immunity and J&J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Natural Immunity and J&J

OK, so after MUCH reading, studying, talking to friends - even getting advice from some of you, I decided to go ahead and get the J&J vaccine.

The following night, I had uncontrollable chills for about an hour, then felt really cold, but after that, no other problems.

I had seen several reports where the J&J was the best option for those who had already had COVID (which I did in January) and recovered.

My wife is in the same boat, but one of the biggest differences between us is that, once I make an irreversible decision (I can't UNtake the vaccine) I put it aside. She, on the other hand, plays woulda shoulda coulda til the cows come home.

I had actually agonized over getting the vaccine, knowing once it's done, it's done, but being around a lot of older people, I felt I had a responsibility.

For her sake, what are we seeing currently about the best vaccine for somebody who has already had COVID?
    (I see where, supposedly, the whistle blower for one of the vaccines claims it's not as effective as natural immunity, etc)

OX - you seem to stay read up on this, so I'd appreciate your input, as well.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, so after MUCH reading, studying, talking to friends - even getting advice from some of you, I decided to go ahead and get the J&J vaccine.

The following night, I had uncontrollable chills for about an hour, then felt really cold, but after that, no other problems.

I had seen several reports where the J&J was the best option for those who had already had COVID (which I did in January) and recovered.

My wife is in the same boat, but one of the biggest differences between us is that, once I make an irreversible decision (I can't UNtake the vaccine) I put it aside. She, on the other hand, plays woulda shoulda coulda til the cows come home.

I had actually agonized over getting the vaccine, knowing once it's done, it's done, but being around a lot of older people, I felt I had a responsibility.

For her sake, what are we seeing currently about the best vaccine for somebody who has already had COVID?
    (I see where, supposedly, the whistle blower for one of the vaccines claims it's not as effective as natural immunity, etc)

It may be a long time before we have studies comparing how the different vaccines work for someone who has already had COVID. But since Moderna seems to work best for unvaccinated people, that would be my guess for vaccinated people as well.

As a practical matter, J&J may be the only one where mandates are satisfied with a single dose, for the foreseeable future. It also doesn't use mRNA technology, for anyone who is nervous about that.

The effectiveness of natural immunity may vary from case to case, and in some cases is better than vaccination, at least for some period of time. But it seems clear that natural immunity plus vaccination is better than natural immunity alone.

Comment

Read that back to yourself filling in the missing referents.
      I see where, supposedly, the whistle blower for one one of the vaccines claims [getting vaccinated] is not as effective [at preventing a first infection] as [getting infected] is [at preventing a second infection].

First of all, I like your choice for reasons maybe better kept private, but still, there it is. I like your choice.

But as far as your wife is concerned, was she previously infected, too? Not that it matters, because being previously infected doesn't change the calculus on which vaccine your wife should choose. The best vaccine to prevent infection is still the best vaccine for additional protection against reinfection.

But the same reasons supporting your thinking about J&J apply to your wife as well. And in the end, previously infected or not, it's better to get any one of the vaccines than it is to get none of them. There's a good chance the choice of vaccine will affect advice on boosters. I've seen some noise already that previous infection plus vaccination is just as good as vaccination plus booster.

As you know, this is an area of continuing research, and some things, like long-term protection from the jabs, along with prior infection immunity, can't be measured without a longer timeframe. I expect expert advice to evolve as the data become more robust.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It may be a long time before we have studies comparing how the different vaccines work for someone who has already had COVID. But since Moderna seems to work best for unvaccinated people, that would be my guess for vaccinated people as well.

As a practical matter, J&J may be the only one where mandates are satisfied with a single dose, for the foreseeable future. It also doesn't use mRNA technology, for anyone who is nervous about that.

The effectiveness of natural immunity may vary from case to case, and in some cases is better than vaccination, at least for some period of time. But it seems clear that natural immunity plus vaccination is better than natural immunity alone.
        Yeah, my pharmacist keeps up on all the statistics and advisories and all that stuff, and he was the one who suggested J&J might be my best choice because it's "one and done", and it's not the controversial mRNA stuff.

Either way, it's behind me, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was an update - "ooooops, J&J needs a booster, too".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Read that back to yourself filling in the missing referents.
          I see where, supposedly, the whistle blower for one one of the vaccines claims [getting vaccinated] is not as effective [at preventing a first infection] as [getting infected] is [at preventing a second infection].
          yeah

First of all,
          Actually, this would be "second of all".

I like your choice for reasons maybe better kept private, but still, there it is. I like your choice.
          Feel free to PM me, I'd be interested.

But as far as your wife is concerned, was she previously infected, too?
          Yes, that's what I meant by "in the same boat" - she was also infected, but even less symptomatic than myself, and all I had was a mild headache and fever for about half an hour.

Not that it matters, because being previously infected doesn't change the calculus on which vaccine your wife should choose. The best vaccine to prevent infection is still the best vaccine for additional protection against reinfection.

But the same reasons supporting your thinking about J&J apply to your wife as well. And in the end, previously infected or not, it's better to get any one of the vaccines than it is to get none of them. There's a good chance the choice of vaccine will affect advice on boosters. I've seen some noise already that previous infection plus vaccination is just as good as vaccination plus booster.

As you know, this is an area of continuing research, and some things, like long-term protection from the jabs, along with prior infection immunity, can't be measured without a longer timeframe. I expect expert advice to evolve as the data become more robust.
          And that's one of the things my pharmacist was saying - that his research indicated that the previous infection plus the J&J seemed to be the optimum solution.

For now.

Comment

Have you noticed your cell phone reception has improved since you got the 5G chip in the vaccine?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Have you noticed your cell phone reception has improved since you got the 5G chip in the vaccine?
              And the question we all want answered: What color is your third eye?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Aside from the hour of chills that I had - no other symptoms or discomfort. I'm glad that's behind me.

Comment

Aside from the hour of chills that I had - no other symptoms or discomfort. I'm glad that's behind me.
                  No superpowers at all? You got cheated.

have you tried to see if the arm where you got the shot is magnetic?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply - I only have time to dip in and out of Tweb these days.

Thankyou for doing this.
                    ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                      Sorry for the late reply - I only have time to dip in and out of Tweb these days.

Thankyou for doing this.
                      I still wonder if my natural immunity would have protected me anyway, but I don't play "woulda shoulda coulda", and have accepted my fate and moved on.

I don't think, however, that I'll get in line for the subsequent "booster", if they decided J&J needs one.

But, I've changed my mind before, so...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X