Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Fauci pressed if he should 'step aside'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fauci pressed if he should 'step aside'

Fauci pressed if he should 'step aside' as an 'impediment to public health': 'People won't listen to you'

'A significant part of America now have lost confidence in you,' Hugh Hewitt told Fauci

Dr. Anthony Fauci faced a tough grilling over whether or not he should step aside as his critics view him as a deterrent in the Biden administration's ongoing effort to vaccinate Americans.

During Wednesday's appearance on Hugh Hewitt's radio show, Fauci was confronted by a list of COVID-era "controversies," including the pause of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, the ivermectin debate, the avoidance of natural immunity as well as his "noble lie" discouraging Americans from wearing masks in the early months of the pandemic to prevent an N95 shortage.

"I have lost confidence in the CDC and the FDA and I actually believe a lot of Americans, a significant part of America now have lost confidence in you, Dr. Fauci," Hewitt began. "Is there a point where you will say, 'I do more harm than good because people don't listen to me anymore,' and step aside?"

"No. Absolutely, unequivocally no, Hugh. Sorry," Fauci reacted. "When you have an evolving situation and data are rapidly evolving in something that is unprecedented and unknown, you have to evolve with it and look at the data as it exists now and make to the best of your ability a decision, a recommendation, all the kinds of things that go into the evolution."

Following Fauci's meandering answer, Hewitt persisted with his intense line of questioning by first acknowledging he "understands" why Fauci lied about the masks but also calling it "bad policy."

"It's just a fact that Tony Fauci, not the guy I'm talking with but Tony Fauci- the person in people's minds, is now an impediment to public health because people won't listen to you," Hewitt said. "They actively reject what Tony Fauci says for reasons which are complicated… but can you accept that if that's just the fact, you ought to respond to it and say ‘Mr. President, I think my time is up as a successful and effective spokesperson?’"

"You know, with all due respect… I just completely disagree with that premise because there are an awful lot of people who do listen, who do the right thing from a public health standpoint," Fauci responded. "So because there are a lot of people who have ideas of conspiracies and changing minds and flip-flopping, that's not a reason to step down. Not at all."

The NIAID director recalled his adversarial relationship with activists 40 years ago during the AIDS epidemic how he "brought them into the dialogue" to support his ongoing presence in the Biden administration.

"So the idea that people right now are not listening to what I'm saying, what I'm saying is the truth," Fauci said.

"I actually agree," Hewitt interjected. "I got the booster, I'm Mr. Vaccine, I get the same kind of heat that you do, and what I'm saying though is there comes a point where it is simply a matter of fact that Tony Fauci in the era of social media is different than Tony Fauci of the beginning of HIV. And if a new face for the program developed, we would see an increase in vaccines and an increase in booster use. So if that data is presented to you that more people would get vaccinated if you left the scene, would you leave the scene?"

Fauci flatly rejected Hewitt's "completely false narrative" that people aren't getting vaccinated because of him.

"Are you kidding me, Hugh?" Fauci chuckled.

"I'm trying to explain to you the truth," Hewitt shot back. "I got vaccinated because of you, but there is a large segment of the American people that doesn't trust you now and that can't be undone. So I want you to be able to speak to them. I know your heart, I know your public service, but if you're an obstacle to getting vaccination rates up, should you step aside?"

Fauci insisted he's "not an obstacle to getting vaccination rates up," but Hewitt continued to press him, asking if he was presented "polling" would he reconsider.

"So people are saying, 'I'm not getting the vaccine because Dr. Fauci is in the government.' Are you kidding me?" Fauci mocked.

Your thoughts on Fauci?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

He is too wishy washy and keeps changing his advice. Don't wear masks, wear masks. Vaccinated can go about life like before the pandemic. No, vaccinated people have to keep wearing masks.

Plus is comes across as way too patronizing when he talks. His personality just turns me off.

And I am pro-vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      He is too wishy washy and keeps changing his advice. Don't wear masks, wear masks. Vaccinated can go about life like before the pandemic. No, vaccinated people have to keep wearing masks.

Plus is comes across as way too patronizing when he talks. His personality just turns me off.

And I am pro-vaccine.
      But do you affirm the virgin birth?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But do you affirm the virgin birth?
        Isn't everyone a virgin when they are born?

Comment

It won't change anything. The people who think the CDC are an untrustworthy source of information aren't going to change their minds if Fauci leaves.

You could get rid of literally every single person at the CDC and replace them all and the vast majority of these people would still not trust them if for no other reason than government = bad and wrong.
          Last edited by CMD; 10-01-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And I am pro-vaccine.
            His connections with the Wuhan lab and efforts to divert attention from it is also highly problematic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
              It won't change anything. The people who think the CDC are an untrustworthy source of information aren't going to change their minds if Fauci leaves.

You could get rid of literally every single person at the CDC and replace them all and the vast majority of these people would still not trust them if for no other reason than government = bad and wrong.
              I confess there is some truth to this.

At this point, I'm not sure what would restore my trust -- not that my trust in the FDA was ever very high.

But Lord Farkwad should definitely go, preferably dragged out by his nose hairs.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Your thoughts on Fauci?
                I'd be happier sharing my thoughts on Hewitt, who gets sufficient space on WaPo to damn himself, but to his credit, proving that even a blind squirrel can sometimes find the nut, has been surprisingly rational on vaccinations. The loss of confidence Hewitt speaks of here is the direct result of an organized right fringe propaganda campaign in which Hewitt is himself complicit.

Hewitt asks if Fauci should let the terrorists Hewitt is leading, win, a question that answers itself.

Not least because Fauci is a national treasure with a history of service to the country spanning decades, leveraging science to cross all previous partisan divides. It was his influence that at last convinced Reagan to begin addressing the "gay plague."

The only reason anyone is suggesting he should step aside is because he publicly disagreed with our twice-impeached national disgrace of no fixed ideology or political party, loosing upon him the wrath of a cult of personality that has already eaten conservatism whole and continues to pound nails into the coffin of what was in my youth a reliably moral mainstay of our society, evangelical Christianity.

The last vaccine holdouts aren't holdouts because of antagonism toward Tony Fauci.

They're holdouts because of their loyalty to Donald Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I'd be happier sharing my thoughts on Hewitt, who gets sufficient space on WaPo to damn himself, but to his credit, proving that even a blind squirrel can sometimes find the nut, has been surprisingly rational on vaccinations. The loss of confidence Hewitt speaks of here is the direct result of an organized right fringe propaganda campaign in which Hewitt is himself complicit.

Hewitt asks if Fauci should let the terrorists Hewitt is leading, win, a question that answers itself.

Not least because Fauci is a national treasure with a history of service to the country spanning decades, leveraging science to cross all previous partisan divides. It was his influence that at last convinced Reagan to begin addressing the "gay plague."

The only reason anyone is suggesting he should step aside is because he publicly disagreed with our twice-impeached national disgrace of no fixed ideology or political party, loosing upon him the wrath of a cult of personality that has already eaten conservatism whole and continues to pound nails into the coffin of what was in my youth a reliably moral mainstay of our society, evangelical Christianity.

The last vaccine holdouts aren't holdouts because of antagonism toward Tony Fauci.

Fauci's wounds are almost all self-inflicted.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Fauci's wounds are almost all self-inflicted.
                    Says the guy who just posted a Fauci conspiracy theory pushed by right fringe media.

Comment

Bravo. One of the best collection of retarded false assertions I've seen here in a while. Nicely done.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Says the guy who just posted a Fauci conspiracy theory pushed by right fringe media.
                        Are you seriously claiming that Fauci's ties to the Wuhan Lab is nothing but a right wing conspiracy? Did you just take the claim that the pandemic originating at the lab was nothing but a right wing conspiracy white out a couple words and use it again?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Bravo. One of the best collection of retarded false assertions I've seen here in a while. Nicely done.
                          Read more poetry. It helped the fishboi.

Are you seriously claiming that Fauci's ties to the Wuhan Lab is nothing but a right wing conspiracy? Did you just take the claim that the pandemic originating at the lab was nothing but a right wing conspiracy white out a couple words and use it again?
                          Did you think locating some iota-ish basis for your conspiracies would somehow rescue them?

That's just darling.

I saw your previous Fauci lab thread likewise filled with breathless "fox guarding the henhouse" accusations, which, to their credit, at least read more harmoniously than an NR insult. I recall your jaw-droppingly vacuous suggestion that a more contagious strain wouldn't be associated with a higher value for herd immunity. To put it gently, your math errors and poor media choices are less than meaningful indictments of Fauci. To turn the phrase to better use, your wounds are self-inflicted.

This board is adequately filled with aging cheerleaders for the latest quack cure let loose on the American public as a direct result of sidelining Fauci from the Covid briefings he should have been leading. In their place, we were treated to daily doses of an aspiring Chavez pied piping poorly understood briefing materials. Hundreds of thousands of deaths could have been prevented were it not for the former guy's insistence on undercutting any member of the administration who stole limelight from the star of the Apprentice administration.

The most adamant anti-Covid vaxx clingers remaining are no longer black or Hispanic. They're white, and evangelical, and Republican, and handing over Fauci's scalp to them will only serve to confirm their misapprehension of public health measures to the detriment of the rest of the country which has understandably grown angry with them. Public health workers are being forced to push back at a groundswell of opinion that the unvaccinated should be denied treatment.

No, no more appeasements. It's time to rebuild the confidence in our public health system that the fringe media has torn down, and pushing back against these decapitation attempts is a good and necessary first step.

I'm on record, many times, saying I don't want these holdouts to die. But I'm all the way okay with seeing them lose their livelihoods.

Poor decisions lead to poor outcomes, and actions have consequences.

Comment

Read more poetry. It helped the fishboi.

Did you think locating some iota-ish basis for your conspiracies would somehow rescue them?

That's just darling.

I saw your previous Fauci lab thread likewise filled with breathless "fox guarding the henhouse" accusations, which, to their credit, at least read more harmoniously than an NR insult. I recall your jaw-droppingly vacuous suggestion that a more contagious strain wouldn't be associated with a higher value for herd immunity. To put it gently, your math errors and poor media choices are less than meaningful indictments of Fauci. To turn the phrase to better use, your wounds are self-inflicted.

This board is adequately filled with aging cheerleaders for the latest quack cure let loose on the American public as a direct result of sidelining Fauci from the Covid briefings he should have been leading. In their place, we were treated to daily doses of an aspiring Chavez pied piping poorly understood briefing materials. Hundreds of thousands of deaths could have been prevented were it not for the former guy's insistence on undercutting any member of the administration who stole limelight from the star of the Apprentice administration.

The most adamant anti-Covid vaxx clingers remaining are no longer black or Hispanic. They're white, and evangelical, and Republican, and handing over Fauci's scalp to them will only serve to confirm their misapprehension of public health measures to the detriment of the rest of the country which has understandably grown angry with them. Public health workers are being forced to push back at a groundswell of opinion that the unvaccinated should be denied treatment.

No, no more appeasements. It's time to rebuild the confidence in our public health system that the fringe media has torn down, and pushing back against these decapitation attempts is a good and necessary first step.

I'm on record, many times, saying I don't want these holdouts to die. But I'm all the way okay with seeing them lose their livelihoods.

Poor decisions lead to poor outcomes, and actions have consequences.
                            Linky?

Comment

Linky?
                              Since ya asked, yes, I'm a Georgian now.

We got working internet switched on last Wednesday. I streamed my first discussion sessions from my property on Saturday after packing up the car tight for the last trip up on Thursday. The car's only about half emptied, more a reflection of the need to put in 20-hour days getting the two Saturday miniterm sections lined up and running before our first meeting, and the need to catch up on missing z's yesterday.

2021-10-04_09-01-56.jpg

That pic is from moments ago, taken from the front door of the Gulfstream I'm sitting in right now, the source of the shadow.

Obviously, if I needed it more quickly, it didn't go in the trunk.

My chair, who'd asked me to grab those two classes for her a couple months ago, also promised to get me all the supporting materials after the regular classes' first week hell was over, and then promptly caught a case of breakthrough covid. Five weeks later, that is, on Friday last week, she finally tested negative again, just in time for me to throw a fit saying my first Saturday class was meeting the next morning, at 8:30 am, and I was going with what I had. Instead, she canceled a crapload of meetings and worked with me downloading packages and getting them loaded up into Blackboard.

The second class started at 12:30 pm Saturday. For reasons, it needs a standardized department syllabus, I got the department syllabus for that one at 7 am Saturday, while furiously putting last touches in on the 8:30 am class, so I didn't even read it until 10:30 am, two hours before the class started.

It's been a week.

_____

So, linkys. That post was an amalgam of stories I've read over the past months, and one in particular from a couple weeks ago that lined up the remaining black, Hispanic, and white hesitators, which I can't seem to find now. But I did find a related Brookings article that I hadn't actually read previously, that identifies a KFF study I'd seen, confirmed by a recent Gallup poll, that was the basis for the story I'd read, most likely on NYTimes, WaPo, or WSJ, my daily reads.

For COVID-19 vaccinations, party affiliation matters more than race and ethnicity
                              At the beginning of the COVID-19 vaccination push nine months ago, many experts worried—with justification—that people of color would be left behind. Sadly, it is a well-established fact that people of color suffer from poorer access to quality health care. And early on, there was some evidence of these disparities; in March of this year, for example, I documented inequities in vaccine share among Black Americans in Maryland. Fortunately, the situation has improved over time, in part because governments at every level have worked hard to make vaccines and accurate information available to everyone. According to a report from the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) released on Sept. 28, gaps in vaccination rates across racial and ethnic groups have virtually disappeared—while gaps reflecting political affiliation have widened substantially.

Of Americans surveyed from Sept. 13-22, 72% of adults 18 and older had been vaccinated, including 71% of white Americans, 70% of Black Americans, and 73% of Hispanics. Contrast these converging figures with disparities based on politics: 90% of Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 68% of Independents and just 58% of Republicans.

A Gallup survey released on Sept. 29 confirmed the KFF findings. As of mid-September, 75% of adult Americans have been vaccinated, including 73% of non-Hispanic white adults and 78% of non-whites. Along party lines, however, the breakdown was 92% of Democrats, 68% of Independents, and 56% of Republicans.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X