Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

How do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

How odd. My late cat Banjo, who was *literally* emasculated, frequently chased raccoons off the porches here. Not full-grown ones, but they were at least as big as he was.
    This one was full grown. My experience with racoons is they are rather slow and lumbering, and my guess was this one wasn't going to run off with its back to my dog - lest it get bit. So it just reared up and faced him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I give my dog Benadryl every night for allergies, and I just put the pill in a gob of peanut butter. (I make sure the peanut butter does not contain xylitol.) No matter how many times I do it, she sniffs the peanut butter very carefully before eating it, but she never seems to notice the Benadryl.
      My dog has not read the widely known fact that dogs love peanut butter.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

My dog has not read the widely known fact that dogs love peanut butter.
        Animals should definitely read more literature. I've known a pigeon and a mudlark that were completely unaware they couldn't fly backwards.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Animals should definitely read more literature. I've known a pigeon and a mudlark that were completely unaware they couldn't fly backwards.
          Good thing they don't or bees wouldn't have flown for decades because it was thought to be aeronautically impossible.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Good thing they don't or bees wouldn't have flown for decades because it was thought to be aeronautically impossible.
            Not only that, but people were always saying bees shouldn't be able to fly!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not only that, but people were always saying bees shouldn't be able to fly!
              That's only a "shouldn't" - according to a lot of literature, hummingbirds excepted, birds can't fly backwards.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That's only a "shouldn't" - according to a lot of literature, hummingbirds excepted, birds can't fly backwards.
                I still think it's amazing that, when watching an F-14 or 18 landing on a carrier deck, you can see the control surfaces moving the same way a hawk or bird of prey's wings and tail move.

Comment

I still think it's amazing that, when watching an F-14 or 18 landing on a carrier deck, you can see the control surfaces moving the same way a hawk or bird of prey's wings and tail move.
                  You actually watch that kind of thing?
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You actually watch that kind of thing?
                    I do. Ever since my oldest brother served on the USS Ranger (CVA-61) I have been fascinated with aircraft carriers.

Comment

I do. Ever since my oldest brother served on the USS Ranger (CVA-61) I have been fascinated with aircraft carriers.
                      I think he meant watch hawks.

If you've ever seen a "bird of prey" show (they're often at various Renaissance Fests) they are quite remarkable. Usually at the end they'll have the hawk fly between two people facing each other only a foot or so apart. That would be sooo to experience.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I'm "ok" at drawing, but find it very frustrating that I can't come close to putting on paper the images I "see" in my head.

I can't calculate totally in my head as well as I could when I was using math daily. Now, even for simple algebra, I have to at least "write" in the air with my finger.

My inner monologue insists that I pedantically suggest that you meant "pie" chart... unless the 3/4 was supposed to be 3.14.
                        I left of the "e" in pi(e) chart. When I type quickly sometimes I leave off a letter, or maybe my keyboard doesn't register it. Seems to happen fairly often if I am typing fast. Maybe it's my brain!!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I think he meant watch hawks.

If you've ever seen a "bird of prey" show (they're often at various Renaissance Fests) they are quite remarkable. Usually at the end they'll have the hawk fly between two people facing each other only a foot or so apart. That would be sooo to experience.
                          Both.

We have hawks (and other birds of prey) along the tree line at our back property line, AND, we are in the flight path for Texas A&M when the "fly over" forms up over our house.

Comment

Both.

We have hawks (and other birds of prey) along the tree line at our back property line, AND, we are in the flight path for Texas A&M when the "fly over" forms up over our house.
                            Lots of falcons and hawks here not to mention owls. I heard a screech owl cry about two years ago (first time since I was a young'un) behind a friend's house. Absolutely terrified his wife.

Comment

I have often wondered how dogs think.

We know they learn, but do they just "do", without sitting or lying there 'thinking' about whether to do or not do something?
                              I have watched my dog think. He has two favorite toys, so one day I threw them both at the same time. He ran down the hall to get them, then stopped, stared at them for a a few seconds, clearly trying to figure out how to get both of them. Then he grabbed his frog, ran back and dropped it at my feet, then ran back and got the other one (a gator) and brought it back.
                              Last edited by Sparko; 10-04-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have watched my dog think. He has two favorite toys, so one day I threw them both at the same time. He ran down the hall to get them, then stopped, stared at them for a a few second, clearly trying to figure out how to get both of them. Then he grabbed his frog, ran back and dropped it at my feet, then ran back and got the other one (a gator) and brought it back.
                                Jake just says, "Oh, you wanted them down there? OK!" and goes back to sleep.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X