Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

How do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you think?

OK this is weird. Apparently there are people out there who have no internal monologue, no 'voice' in their head thinking thoughts in words and sentences.

People With No Internal Monologue Explain What It's Like In Their Head

Earlier this year, a lot of people were surprised to discover that some people don't have an internal monologue, while those people who don't were surprised to learn other people do. Having only ever lived in your own head, it's pretty weird to discover that other people think differently than you do.

For instance, I assumed that everyone else had an internal monologue, and like mine, that monologue is voiced by Patrick Stewart. To think that some people don't have a monologue portrayed by Captain Pickard was weird enough, without discovering that they hear nothing at all.

Shortly after everyone discovered the other group of thinkers exist, people started to explain to each other what their method of thinking is like, and how the other one is plain weird. In one Reddit thread, user Vadermaulkylo posted, "Today, I told my mom that I have no internal monologue and she stared at me like I have three heads. Is having one common?" They confessed they had thought it was a fictional concept made up as a narrative device in the TV show Dexter (about a surprisingly teary psychopath).

What it's like not tohave a monologue

After people had called the poor Redditor a non-playable character enough times to get it out of their systems, several people (including the OP) described what it's actually like to not have an internal monologue.

“So if your boss asks you to do something right at the point you were planning to leave work you don’t think ‘oh**** what a pain? in your head, while saying ‘No problem at all boss,’ out loud?” one user asked.

“No. Never had that," Vadermaulkylo responded. "If I’m asked to do something I don’t wanna do, I just get kinda frustrated but that’s about it. I don’t really think to myself.”

Others confirmed their experience was similar.

"I’m the same way," said user GohanShmohan. "I don’t have any conscious thought about what I’m feeling, or any stream of dialogue describing it to myself. I just feel it. It’s like the inner dialogue is the middle man in my head, who just isn’t there."

For others, it was a bit more complicated.

"I don't have a inner monologue either. Any time I have to communicate outside my head with words, I have to "translate" what I'm thinking. That takes time and effort. It's why I vastly prefer written communication over verbal, since you can take more time than the instant response a verbal conversation requires," Redditor BobbitWormJoe wrote.

more at: https://www.iflscience.com/brain/peo...wrKRA3iNwiPB48

And apparently there are people out there who literally "have no imagination" - They are unable to visualize things in their mind.

warning profanity at link:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/2862324277332876/

Last edited by Sparko; 10-01-2021, 01:21 PM.

One of the voices in my head insists on narrating everything in the manner of a noir detective story from the 40s.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      One of the voices in my head insists on narrating everything in the manner of a noir detective story from the 40s.
      Your voices are because of being hit in the head a lot by your brudder Cow Poke when you were little.

I seem to think in both words and images and concepts. I also seem to think a lot faster than I can actually talk, and sometimes just in bits and pieces not bothering to form full sentences. And if I concentrate on what I am thinking, I find myself having another level of "voice" thinking about what I am thinking, and then another voice at another level thinking about what I am thinking about what I am thinking, until I get all weirded out and stop. Thought inception!

I am not crazy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Your voices are because of being hit in the head a lot by your brudder Cow Poke when you were little.

I seem to think in both words and images and concepts. I also seem to think a lot faster than I can actually talk, and sometimes just in bits and pieces not bothering to form full sentences. And if I concentrate on what I am thinking, I find myself having another level of "voice" thinking about what I am thinking, and then another voice at another level thinking about what I am thinking about what I am thinking, until I get all weirded out and stop. Thought inception!

I am not crazy!!!
        More likely the result of falling backward off the tall slide right on the back of my head and shoulders on the concrete. Funny thing was it didn't even hurt much.

Or jumping on the bed after we moved and falling face first into the corner of the metal bed frame. My mom called a doctor who was at a party at the time and when she told him I had a fever told her that I might have brain damage and to keep an eye on me during the night -- and then hung up.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How do you think?

If I had the option, I wouldn't. It always gets me in trouble.
          Last edited by tabibito; 10-01-2021, 08:52 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

If I had the option, I wouldn't
            As the old saying goes when a woman asks a man what is he thinking about and he says nothing, it is likely that he is speaking the truth.

Comment

I can't even imagine how someone could function without an internal 'voice'. How would you make plans about what you are going to do? How could you make any sort of decision or think about the future? How would you 'think" about anything? Would you just "react" to things going on around you like an animal?

Comment

Years ago I read Temple Grandin's book, Thinking in Pictures, written in 1995. (It's been updated.) It's an autobiographical account of her life as a person with high functioning autism. She thinks visually.

The book is available online in pdf format.

grandin.jpg
                When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                  Years ago I read Temple Grandin's book, Thinking in Pictures, written in 1995. (It's been updated.) It's an autobiographical account of her life as a person with high functioning autism. She thinks visually.

The book is available online in pdf format.

grandin.jpg
                  interesting.

I found her site: https://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html

I seem to think visually and verbally. I have always been good at drawing and can easily visualize/imagine images in my head. When doing math I tend to visualize what is being calculated more than anything else. I was always better at geometry than algebra, because with geometry I could visualize the shapes and "see" the answer, then use the formulas to zero in on the correct answer. Like adding 1/2 to 1/4, I would just "see" a pi chart with 3/4 of it filled in.

Comment

Ever try memorizing telephone numbers by imagining geometric shapes on the telephone keypad?

Even typing is visualizing the location of each letter, number and symbol on a keyboard.

Maybe even driving a car, or playing a video game.

We probably do it more than we think. Or visualize.
                    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                      Ever try memorizing telephone numbers by imagining geometric shapes on the telephone keypad?
                      no.

Even typing is visualizing the location of each letter, number and symbol on a keyboard.
                      I pretty much do that subconsciously using muscle memory. I touch type. I just think of what I want to type and my fingers just do it. every once in a while if I am using an unfamiliar keyboard my fingers are off by one key and the result is hilarious.

Maybe even driving a car, or playing a video game.
                      Driving a car is mostly subconscious too. I don't "think" about steering this way or that, or hitting the brakes, or gas. I just 'do it' - I want to stop and I just move my foot to the break and apply the right amount of pressure. Now when I was learning to drive I had to actively think about everything I was doing and then do it and it was pretty overwhelming at first, but then I think it just becomes instinctive like walking. You don't think "pick up left foot, move left leg, put down left foot. Pick up right foot..." You just do it.

We probably do it more than we think. Or visualize.
                      I don't think that is even visualizing. I think driving and walking and playing video games gets translated from active thinking to subconscious "subroutines" that we just do with muscle memory.

Comment

interesting.

I found her site: https://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html

I seem to think visually and verbally. I have always been good at drawing and can easily visualize/imagine images in my head. When doing math I tend to visualize what is being calculated more than anything else. I was always better at geometry than algebra, because with geometry I could visualize the shapes and "see" the answer, then use the formulas to zero in on the correct answer. Like adding 1/2 to 1/4, I would just "see" a pi chart with 3/4 of it filled in.
                        You're one of them

c25cd243-59b9-4b5b-8a1e-3718b39c5091.jpg

Comment

What gave me away?

Comment

What gave me away?
                            The dazed and confused look... I guess that means old Joe does it to.

Comment

The dazed and confused look... I guess that means old Joe does it to.
                              Can you visualize me eating all of your bacon. Again?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X