Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Is this fake news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this fake news?

Covid cases quintuple after Sturgis Rally. That's 5x! How come no other gatherings have produced such increase?

I have nothing to go on but my gut...but this just strikes me as Fake Ass news. It just seems news reporters are getting desperate. For the most part, I don't pay much attention to the whole pandemic/mania...whatever it is...this one just stands out to me as simply hard to believe. I mean, stop it already!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rally-n1277567

Just recently, there were some youtube news videos reporting of something like 16 kids in ICU in Mississippi, deathly ill with Covid. The day after these videos were posted, they were removed...Edited by a Moderator mate?
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-25-2021, 07:05 PM.

This reminds me of some of the reporting from last year. One study being bandied about claimed it was the superspreader of all superspreaders. Over a quarter million cases as a result or nearly 20% of all diagnosed cases during August. It was of course not peer-reviewed and exceeded anything else from anywhere. Much smaller scale studies didn't find anything even close. For instance, in South Dakota, where the event is held there were 124 people who attended the rally were diagnosed as having Covid. And not too long after the claim it was this colossal superspreader began to disappear.

Of course it could be different this year, but given the history and how so much of the left focused in on it (CNN was almost comical) while blissfully ignoring events like Lollapalooza where attendees were crammed cheek to cheek rather than riding around on motorcycles, I'd wait awhile

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This thing lasted ten days. Covid-19 has an incubation period of 2 - 14 days. So no doubt it had plenty of time to pass from person to person. Also, they were a disproportionately large percentage of unvaccinated persons there.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Lots and lots of conflicting information out there that's for sure! Around here, it's out of sight - out of mind. The gulf however is growing more extreme though of what I see around here, and what I see portrayed on the news. The fact about the incubation period sheds some light on the subject too. I just thought here for a moment I would be able to get an objective gander on what's really going on out there.

Comment

I was just there in Sturgis 3 days ago. Spoke to several locals about COVID and the rally. The "increase" was county-wide, not isolated to the downtown Sturgis area. The general opinion was that the number of new positive cases that came out of it were miniscule compared to the actual total number of attendees.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
            Covid cases quintuple after Sturgis Rally. That's 5x! How come no other gatherings have produced such increase?

I have nothing to go on but my gut...but this just strikes me as Fake Ass news. It just seems news reporters are getting desperate. For the most part, I don't pay much attention to the whole pandemic/mania...whatever it is...this one just stands out to me as simply hard to believe. I mean, stop it already!
            It's bad journalism. It contains the statement, "It’s too soon to know if the Sturgis rally, which began on Aug. 6 and ended Aug. 15, had a direct effect on the increase or can be classified as a “superspreader” event...", but they obviously want you to conclude that the rally had a direct effect on the increase, and/or that it was a superspreader event.

Comment

Headlines like these have been trending lately :

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/27/healt...nts/index.html

"An unvaccinated elementary school teacher who took off their mask to read to students ended up infecting more than half of them last May -- and they went on to infect other students, family members and community members, California public health officials reported Friday."

It's just hard to believe and doesn't square with what most people are experiencing in their own worlds.
              Last edited by Machinist; 08-28-2021, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's bad journalism. It contains the statement, "It’s too soon to know if the Sturgis rally, which began on Aug. 6 and ended Aug. 15, had a direct effect on the increase or can be classified as a “superspreader” event...", but they obviously want you to conclude that the rally had a direct effect on the increase, and/or that it was a superspreader event.
                Ya think.

Look at how it was covered. There is a vested interest among some in declaring that it is a superspreader.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Ya think.

Look at how it was covered. There is a vested interest among some in declaring that it is a superspreader.
                  I've noticed also that anytime there are articles like this, only a handful of news outlets pick up on it, and when they do, the story is short lived. The way they cover it though seems so sensational.

Comment

Ya think.

Every media outlet has a vested interest in having as many people as possible read (or watch) their stories. It's a feature of capitalism.

Comment

Every media outlet has a vested interest in having as many people as possible read (or watch) their stories. It's a feature of capitalism.

The MSM figures they have a higher calling that is more important than money. Otherwise they wouldn't go out of their way to keep alienating massive segments of the public. That even though they have been bleeding money for years now, they have done absolutely nothing to change.

Comment

The MSM figures they have a higher calling that is more important than money.
                        That may be true of individual journalists, but not of any public corporation.

Otherwise they wouldn't go out of their way to keep alienating massive segments of the public. That even though they have been bleeding money for years now, they have done absolutely nothing to change.
                        I'm not an expert on the news business, but I'm willing to bet that they never take their eye off the target of increasing profit.

Here is an example.

Comment

We can have a capitalism that doesn't have this feature can't we? Image a world where you can turn on the news in the evening and get a clear idea of what's going on in other parts of the planet...heck, even what's going on around here. They keep saying there's pandemic, but we haven't seen nothing like that around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                            We can have a capitalism that doesn't have this feature can't we? Image a world where you can turn on the news in the evening and get a clear idea of what's going on in other parts of the planet...heck, even what's going on around here. They keep saying there's pandemic, but we haven't seen nothing like that around here.
                            I can't really imagine a capitalism where public corporations are not primarily concerned with profit.

That doesn't necessarily mean that we can't have accurate, unbiased news. But enough people would have to want accurate, unbiased news, in order to make it worth someone's while to provide it. And you would still have the problem of having to figure out who you can trust.

Comment

I can't really imagine a capitalism where public corporations are not primarily concerned with profit.

That doesn't necessarily mean that we can't have accurate, unbiased news. But enough people would have to want accurate, unbiased news, in order to make it worth someone's while to provide it. And you would still have the problem of having to figure out who you can trust.
                              We can make a serious dent in advertising though by simply changing the rules.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X