Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

WHO says deaths due to Covid grossly undercounted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoic
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I just heard something that doctors are now advising that due to potential adverse reactions those who recently recovered from Covid should wait a few months before getting any vaccine.
    True. Of course, Rand Paul had it over a year ago.

Still, it's good to have some people test the hypothesis that those who have already had it are safe. I'm glad we have some volunteers.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    I just heard something that doctors are now advising that due to potential adverse reactions those who recently recovered from Covid should wait a few months before getting any vaccine.
    Correct. Once enough time has passed and the bug has mutated, then it will be time for a shot.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ccine-n1268268

"I just made my own personal decision that I'm not getting vaccinated, because I've already had the disease, and I have natural immunity," Paul said.

Ditto this. Why get a type A flu shot when you just recovered from that flu? Aside from bending to political pressure, it doesn't make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ccine-n1268268

"I just made my own personal decision that I'm not getting vaccinated, because I've already had the disease, and I have natural immunity," Paul said.

Ditto this. Why get a type A flu shot when you just recovered from that flu? Aside from bending to political pressure, it doesn't make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Sounds like just another WHO exaggeration in order to pump up their importance and get more funding because of fear.

IF the deaths are that much more than reported, then I blame the WHO. They downplayed the virus in the beginning, and tried to stop countries from banning travel. They are in China's pocket and contributed to the spread of COVID and did nothing to stem the pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Seems fair.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how many of those were because healthcare systems were overwhelmed trying to treat covid-19 cases, and how many were because people were afraid (or otherwise unable) to go to the hospital.
    That's what I'm waiting for.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    The World Health Organization (WHO) is now saying that two and up to three times as many people have died worldwide as a result of the Chinese coronavirus than have been reported. That should come as no surprise given how low the official number is in many heavily populated countries without any means of handling a pandemic.

Interestingly, to arrive at this conclusion WHO is also including those who could not get treatment for other ailments.
    Seems fair.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how many of those were because healthcare systems were overwhelmed trying to treat covid-19 cases, and how many were because people were afraid (or otherwise unable) to go to the hospital.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    started a topic WHO says deaths due to Covid grossly undercounted

WHO says deaths due to Covid grossly undercounted

The World Health Organization (WHO) is now saying that two and up to three times as many people have died worldwide as a result of the Chinese coronavirus than have been reported. That should come as no surprise given how low the official number is in many heavily populated countries without any means of handling a pandemic.

Interestingly, to arrive at this conclusion WHO is also including those who could not get treatment for other ailments.

Source: Excess deaths due to pandemic much higher than reported COVID toll: WHO

Up to three times more people have died due to the pandemic than indicated by the officially reported COVID deaths, the World Health Organization said Friday.

So far, more than 3.4 million deaths worldwide have officially been attributed to COVID-19 since the disease first surfaced in China in late 2019.

But according to a global health statistics report from the WHO, far more people have died that would otherwise not have, had it not been for the pandemic, either due to COVID or because they could not get treatment for other ailments.

"Total deaths are at least two to three times higher than officially reported," Samira Asma, the WHO assistant director-general in charge of data, told reporters.

In 2020, the report found there had been at least three million excess deaths due directly or indirectly to COVID-19, while the official number of COVID deaths was 1.8 million at the end of the year.

Asked how many excess deaths could be attributed to the pandemic today, Asma said that "I think safely, about six to eight million deaths could be an estimate, with a cautionary note."

The WHO was working with countries "to understand the true human toll of the pandemic so we can be better prepared for the next emergency," she said.

The discrepancy is due to a number of factors, including lagging reporting on COVID deaths in a number of countries; the fact that many people early on died of COVID without being tested; and also that many were unable to get treatment for other diseases and conditions due to lockdown measures.

"Excess mortality gives us a better picture, because it captures both of these direct and indirect effects," WHO data analyst William Msemburi told reporters.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X