Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Covid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

It's obviously the beer wot saved 'im.
    He does like IPA - very bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

That's one of the things that is so mindboggling to me. It's like this disease has a much larger variance in how intense it is and what happens to those infected than most other diseases.
      This is just like smoking - everyone knows a 90 year old who smoked all ehr days and never had any ill-effects, and there are some young folk that get lung cancer who have never smoked. But these outliers don't change the fact that heavy smoking massively increases your risk of lung cancer. Same with covid - even young, healthy folk can get it, but the chances of serious illness are igher in elderly, overweight, and possibly blacks / indian subcontinent folk.
      ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

Jimbo,

"Testing positive" and "cases" mean two different things entirely to me.

Also, the only two people I know affiliated with any hospital are a Nurse and another guy who works in shipping/receiving. Both have told me several times that what the media is pitching is hype. They are both from my regional area.

And then of course, you.

I appreciate your thoughts and perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post

This is just like smoking - everyone knows a 90 year old who smoked all ehr days and never had any ill-effects, and there are some young folk that get lung cancer who have never smoked. But these outliers don't change the fact that heavy smoking massively increases your risk of lung cancer. Same with covid - even young, healthy folk can get it, but the chances of serious illness are igher in elderly, overweight, and possibly blacks / indian subcontinent folk.
          It seems a bit different with Covid based on accounts I have heard from people I know. Very unusual effects happening to them, and some of them even being permanent with little rhyme or reason on who it happens to. There are always going to be outliers, sure, but this seems to have more of them than what I have heard of compared to other illnesses and conditions.

Comment

It's crazy man.

Dang thing is some places and then in some places it's not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

That's one of the things that is so mindboggling to me. It's like this disease has a much larger variance in how intense it is and what happens to those infected than most other diseases.
              This is speculation on my part but it is either an incredibly systemic disease or their grasp of its morphology is poor. I suspect the latter because it's the norm for novel diseases and C19 has been highly politicized which screws up epidemiological efforts.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                It's crazy man.

Dang thing is some places and then in some places it's not there.
                Actually that's the one thing that isn't surprising - and it's a clue that airborne isn't the primary vector.

Think of spread like three loose herds of three different types of animals. The goats will behave differently from the horses and the emus are different from both goats and horses. Each herd moves around but none go everywhere.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Actually that's the one thing that isn't surprising - and it's a clue that airborne isn't the primary vector.

Think of spread like three loose herds of three different types of animals. The goats will behave differently from the horses and the emus are different from both goats and horses. Each herd moves around but none go everywhere.
                  A while ago, Dr. Ramin Oskoui was talking about theories that fecal spread was a significant unrecognized vector. I don't know what became of that idea.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

A while ago, Dr. Ramin Oskoui was talking about theories that fecal spread was a significant unrecognized vector. I don't know what became of that idea.
                    I've long suspected direct contact - fecal would explain the same spread patterns and may well explain some of the discrepancies.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Random anecdote:

My best friend (age 60) works in a care home for mentally challenged people. She is one of four staff members: Three work "block" shifts (6 AM Mon. - 2 PM Wed., 2 PM Wed. - 10 PM Fri., 10 PM Fri. - 6 AM Mon.), the fourth works "double-coverage" several days per week. There are four mentally challenged residents. About two months ago, CoViD ran through the house. Three residents and two staff got it. My friend did NOT get it. She repeatedly tested negative. This is not surprising, since she basically has some kind of Kryptonian constitution. She never gets any sort of vaccine, for flu, CoViD, or whatever, and never gets more than the occasional cold. What is surprising is that the other staff who remained uninfected has all sorts of health issues, including recurrent pneumonia (even pre-pandemic).

The nature of the work involves the staff members being in direct contact with the residents, including helping some of them dress and do basic toilet and hygiene activities. My friend is one of the "block" workers who live on-site full-time during the blocks.

Of the three residents who got infected, two (both 60+ I believe) had to be hospitalized, but not intubated. One of them came home after a few days and needed on-site O2 occasionally for a few weeks. The other had to go to extended care for a few weeks for physical and occupational therapy to regain ability to walk. The one who remained unhospitalized was relatively young, and had essentially a very uncomfortable and tiring "bad cold" experience.
                      Last edited by NorrinRadd; 05-15-2021, 06:00 AM.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I'm convinced at least that it's not airborne. Studies have attempted to prove this, but I have never seen one that said conclusively said so.

The analogy that you offered does not resonate with me in the least.

I've done my own contact tracing study and my results show that the media has hyped this thing 90-95 %. The degrees of contact among these 150 people are astronomical. It is a statistical impossibility that none have gotten sick and died from this flu. Yes, there have been a handful of people over the past year that have been sick, but when it looks exactly like the same pattern of people always getting sick year after year, it's difficult to fit that into anyone's map of reality.

I know there are people sick, and some even end up dying. People have always gotten sick. I don't see a difference.

If metro hospitals are busy with sick people, what in the world does that have to do with this push to vaccinate people in my area? The virus is not going to waft this way. I have a solid contact tracing study to prove this.
                        Last edited by Machinist; 05-15-2021, 07:40 AM.

Comment

I'm convinced at least that it's not airborne. Studies have attempted to prove this, but I have never seen one that said conclusively said so.
                          You might want to look at the evidence.

I've done my own contact tracing study and my results show that the media has hyped this thing 90-95 %. The degrees of contact among these 150 people are astronomical. It is a statistical impossibility that none have gotten sick and died from this flu. Yes, there have been a handful of people over the past year that have been sick, but when it looks exactly like the same pattern of people always getting sick year after year, it's difficult to fit that into anyone's map of reality.

I know there are people sick, and some even end up dying. People have always gotten sick. I don't see a difference.

If metro hospitals are busy with sick people, what in the world does that have to do with this push to vaccinate people in my area? The virus is not going to waft this way. I have a solid contact tracing study to prove this.
                          I don't see how you can be sure that your area will remain isolated from the rest of the world.

Comment

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...accine-tracker

This is an interesting vaccination map that I was referring to. According to this data, we are currently at 50% +/- vaccination for the first dose, and about 30% for the second.

I appreciate the evidence that you supplied. You must keep in mind the sheer amount of time and mental energy it takes to even go through one of these studies. The Ten Reasons listed have their own supporting studies. It takes me about a dozen or so readings of the same study before I can gain some semblance of understanding. The one I mentioned earlier in this thread was quite complex and I labored over it for days. In the end, I discovered what it was really saying was different that what the media said it was saying. That is a ton of information that you supplied. It's quite daunting but i'll try and give it an objective look.

Comment

I assume you ran a data analysis - I was a DIS for 18 years and you most certainly did not do contact tracing of any sort. Also, airborne disease has a really wide contact net. That's normal and most contacts won't be infected - also normal.

Yes, the panicdemic was and is overhyped but please don't offer nonsense. That only feeds the trolls.

Go back to your analysis and this time include the morphology data and the infection rate. C19's is fairly low but it's consistent with its target populations.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ha Ha. PanicDemic. I like that!

Obviously I don't have the means to run complicated morphology analysis, and can only rely on second hand sources from minds that I deem credible. I do the best I can within limitations.

My gut intuition combined with what little data I have been able to digest and assimilate give me confidence that I will be fine. Then there is the question "but what about others that you might infect?"

My question to that question is " where does this end?"

I take a vaccine, then what? Wait for the next virus to come around and the next variant and the next and the next?

People need to understand how maps of reality form, and what and how things get filtered though and incorporated into that map and what gets filtered out. The average person does not have time to do extensive research, and they base their map on what they see and then take cues from other minds who verify and confirm what they are seeing. I live in such a self verifying population.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X