Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

A little pinhole vision miracle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little pinhole vision miracle!

When I was an infant I sat at table and listened to my Dad as he explained how starving he and his surviving comrades were after the Burma retreat. All the way out of Burma he had held a fixation about eating a real egg, and eventually, once safe in India, he found a grizzled old man selling eggs from a basket on a street corner. My Dad bought some, and the ancient man held each one up to the light and peered at it through his clenched right hand as shown below. He would then either put it to one side or put in in with the ones to be sold.

One of the eggs which my father bought was no good, and he concluded that the peering through hand business was just a scam to deceive foolish foreigners, and my Dad laughed out loud about it whenever he mentioned it.

60 years later I needed specs, my left eye being the only one that is much good, so I have always had distance specs and used clip-ons for either reading, computer or close up work. I often wondered about that old man, whether he was scamming or for real, and so one day when I needed to read a product label and had forgotten my reader clip-ons I took off my watch and peered through a strap hole at the label.......... and could read it!

The old man could see that way! He could!

Patient reader, try making a tiny needle point hole in a paper or card, take off your glasses and look through it for good vision. In time, like me, you'll be able to close your hand down to the tiniest hole for emergency vision and will not need anything else.

I made mention of this on a forum some years back and a member told me how she wears pinhole specs when she has severe headaches. I found similar ones on ebay and can show them below, the one with smaller holes being best for me.

same reason you can see better in bright light than in dim light, because in bright light your pupils contract to pinpoints. And why pinhole cameras don't need fancy lenses. The light rays travel in a straight line and focus sharper.

Comment

Before I had Lasik, if I didn't have my "close up" glasses, I would do that, look through my closed fist with just enough gap to see through. A lot of us old folks do that.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        same reason you can see better in bright light than in dim light, because in bright light your pupils contract to pinpoints. And why pinhole cameras don't need fancy lenses. The light rays travel in a straight line and focus sharper.
        Yep..... But I still find it amazing that my right eye, which lenses cannot correct, can see well through a pin hole.
        I often use a fist pin hole now .....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Before I had Lasik, if I didn't have my "close up" glasses, I would do that, look through my closed fist with just enough gap to see through. A lot of us old folks do that.
          It just took me half s century to catch up with you.
          I must Google Lasik.

Comment

Laser eye surgery.....
            Wow!

How amazing is our medical science, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Laser eye surgery.....
              Wow!

It was literally life-changing! I was scared to death because I'm such a sissy when it comes to my eyes, but I was so tired of wearing glasses.
              It was a 20 minute procedure - entirely pain-free - and I had better than 20-20 vision later that day.
              Haven't worn glasses since, and that's been nearly 20 years ago.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was literally life-changing! I was scared to death because I'm such a sissy when it comes to my eyes, but I was so tired of wearing glasses.
                It was a 20 minute procedure - entirely pain-free - and I had better than 20-20 vision later that day.
                Haven't worn glasses since, and that's been nearly 20 years ago.
                Virtually everyone I know that had Lasik early on has returned for a second treatment (the eyes continue to degrade with age even after the fix).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Virtually everyone I know that had Lasik early on has returned for a second treatment (the eyes continue to degrade with age even after the fix).
                  Yes, I was told about that when I had mine, and I have discovered I need reading glasses for fine print, but my long distance (left eye is for distance, right eye for close) is still outstanding.

Interestingly enough, I had to learn how to shoot again - my "close vision" being for the site picture, and my long vision being for the target.

Comment

Yes, I was told about that when I had mine, and I have discovered I need reading glasses for fine print, but my long distance (left eye is for distance, right eye for close) is still outstanding.

Interestingly enough, I had to learn how to shoot again - my "close vision" being for the site picture, and my long vision being for the target.
                    I'm guessing you shoot of the right shoulder with full bore, yes.?
                    I had a Parker Hale sight attachment made to correct my left eye for astigmatism to shoot full bore off the left shoulder. My right eye is beyond correction.
                    I had to learn to use a bolt action Lee Enfield smoothly enough for consistency, but that's so hard to achieve..... Every reload caused the rifle to fall off and to the left of target...... all a long time ago now.

Comment

I'm guessing you shoot of the right shoulder with full bore, yes.?
                      Handguns, mostly -- but right handed.

I had a Parker Hale sight attachment made to correct my left eye for astigmatism to shoot full bore off the left shoulder. My right eye is beyond correction.
                      I had to learn to use a bolt action Lee Enfield smoothly enough for consistency, but that's so hard to achieve..... Every reload caused the rifle to fall off and to the left of target...... all a long time ago now.
                      Have you ever watched Quigley Down Under? He was an amazing marksman with a rifle, but "had little use for handguns". In the end, however, a handgun served him quite well, to the amazement of his opponent.

Comment

Laser eye surgery.....
                        Wow!

So, I was amazed at the simplicity displayed in the doctor's office.

First step - he handed me a toy camera and said, "pretend you're taking a picture of that flower vase". I held the camera up to pretend to take a picture, and he said, "OK, so now we know which eye is your dominant eye".

Then he suggested that we make one of my eyes the "long distance" eye, and the other one my "short distance" eye, and he said "not all people can tolerate this - it's called "monovision". So he set the eye examiner machine thing so that one of my eyes was seeing distance, and the other was seeing close, and then he held up a magazine, and moved it close, then far, then quickly closer, then slowly far.... He asked, 'any dizziness or nausea or funny feelings?' i said no, so he said, "OK so you'll deal with monovision just fine.

Then he explained that I will lay on the table, and look up at a red dot, and that a knife would slide in and slice my cornea and lay it aside (a flap) and then a laser would fire a zillion times to shape my eye to the correct dimensions. He explained that other lasers would be tracking my eye movement, and they would not allow the cutting laser to fire unless my eye was precisely staring at the dot. (or something like that, it's been a long time ago)

I was pretty impressed! And, looking back, I'm AMAZED I was brave enough to do this, being such a sissy when it comes to my eyes -- I couldn't even IMAGINE wearing contacts, cause that would be like touching my eyeball!

Comment

So, I was amazed at the simplicity displayed in the doctor's office.

First step - he handed me a toy camera and said, "pretend you're taking a picture of that flower vase". I held the camera up to pretend to take a picture, and he said, "OK, so now we know which eye is your dominant eye".

Then he suggested that we make one of my eyes the "long distance" eye, and the other one my "short distance" eye, and he said "not all people can tolerate this - it's called "monovision". So he set the eye examiner machine thing so that one of my eyes was seeing distance, and the other was seeing close, and then he held up a magazine, and moved it close, then far, then quickly closer, then slowly far.... He asked, 'any dizziness or nausea or funny feelings?' i said no, so he said, "OK so you'll deal with monovision just fine.

Then he explained that I will lay on the table, and look up at a red dot, and that a knife would slide in and slice my cornea and lay it aside (a flap) and then a laser would fire a zillion times to shape my eye to the correct dimensions. He explained that other lasers would be tracking my eye movement, and they would not allow the cutting laser to fire unless my eye was precisely staring at the dot. (or something like that, it's been a long time ago)

I was pretty impressed! And, looking back, I'm AMAZED I was brave enough to do this, being such a sissy when it comes to my eyes -- I couldn't even IMAGINE wearing contacts, cause that would be like touching my eyeball!
                          I'm not sure that I could do that, red dots and lasers, eh? *shudders*. Although my redundant right eye is forming a cataract now so I'm going to need some kind of treatment before too long. I can't observe anything with my right but it's very useful when motorcycling or driving for noticing other traffic in peripheral vision.

You mentioned handguns in your previous post. 40 years ago I tried, joined a pistol club which competed with .32 handguns.... I just got so bored. But then, during a Bisley visit I had time to wander around and came upon a range where they were shooting black powder cap'n'ball pistols. How brilliant! One old boy loaded his revolver and let me have a few shots with it. It could punch a ball through two inches of pine easily. I could have got interested in black powder pistols which are still legal to own and shoot here in the UK, but the nearest club was too far away.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X