Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

O+ People Less Likely to Die Due to Covid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O+ People Less Likely to Die Due to Covid?

OK, so I was driving, and heard a news report to the effect that persons with O+ blood type (and one other factor) are less likely to get Covid, and far more likely to "sail through" it if they do get Covid.

I can't find any such evidence --- has anybody else heard of this, or can shed more light on it?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

OK, I found this -- not what I remember hearing, but in that direction...

Relationship between the ABO Blood Group and the COVID-19 Susceptibility

OBJECTIVE To investigate the relationship between the ABO blood group and the COVID-19 susceptibility.

CONCLUSION People with blood group A have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O has a significantly lower risk for the infection compared with non-O blood groups.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My brother has O-neg and he caught COVID and had a really mild case. Just felt tired and a bit sick for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        My brother has O-neg and he caught COVID and had a really mild case. Just felt tired and a bit sick for a few days.
        I was talking to my hospice nurse daughter last night at supper, and she said YES -- it's type O, and more specifically, O+ that tends to be either immune to, or far less susceptible to, Covid.

Wife and I are both O+ and had almost ZERO symptoms in our Covid experience.

Comment

Are you positive about that?
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
            Are you positive about that?
            Actually, no - I'm trying to find anything that actually says that (blood screen results, health records) --- I'm PRETTY SURE I'm O+, but not absolutely sure I'm O+.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Actually, no - I'm trying to find anything that actually says that (blood screen results, health records) --- I'm PRETTY SURE I'm O+, but not absolutely sure I'm O+.

Call your doctor.

Comment

Somebody once told me that his personality matched his blood type: B+. He asked my my blood type, and I told him O-.
                When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Call your doctor.
                  I have my semi-annual check up in a couple days where they'll tell me I'm too fat, but otherwise in remarkably good health for an old white fat guy.

They do a blood screen, so I'll specifically ask about type.

Comment

If you donated blood, your donor card should have it written somewhere.
                    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

If you donated blood, your donor card should have it written somewhere.
                      Yeah, I used to donate blood all the time - was actually a gallon club member. I had to stop because I had made so many trips to Haiti, and it was on the "no" list. That's been LONG ago, though, so I need to get back to that (giving blood).

In FACT -- funny you should mention that, because the Blood Banks are BEGGING people who have had Covid to come donate plasma or platelets or whatever it is they need so they can treat seriously ill people. (they need the antigens?)

Our Fire Department does a blood drive that I think might be this Saturday!

Comment

Yeah, I used to donate blood all the time - was actually a gallon club member. I had to stop because I had made so many trips to Haiti, and it was on the "no" list. That's been LONG ago, though, so I need to get back to that (giving blood).

In FACT -- funny you should mention that, because the Blood Banks are BEGGING people who have had Covid to come donate plasma or platelets or whatever it is they need so they can treat seriously ill people. (they need the antigens?)

Our Fire Department does a blood drive that I think might be this Saturday!
                        Shouldn't hospitals do the blood drives instead? Do you want a fireman or a nurse taking blood?

Do the hospitals ever take blood directly from donors? You might reduce the blood-for-profit industry middlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

Shouldn't hospitals do the blood drives instead? Do you want a fireman or a nurse taking blood?

Do the hospitals ever take blood directly from donors? You might reduce the blood-for-profit industry middlemen.
                          They actually schedule a bloodmobile. The Fire Department just coordinates it.

Comment

OK, so I was driving, and heard a news report to the effect that persons with O+ blood type (and one other factor) are less likely to get Covid, and far more likely to "sail through" it if they do get Covid.

I can't find any such evidence --- has anybody else heard of this, or can shed more light on it?
                            There have been studies that found no difference due to blood type, and others have found a slight difference. So far, no one is suggesting that it means anyone can get away with fewer precautions, or that anyone needs to take extra precautions.

(The study you linked said there is a "significant" difference, but to scientists, that word just means that the difference probably wasn't random.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                              There have been studies that found no difference due to blood type, and others have found a slight difference. So far, no one is suggesting that it means anyone can get away with fewer precautions, or that anyone needs to take extra precautions.
                              This is not that.

(The study you linked said there is a "significant" difference, but to scientists, that word just means that the difference probably wasn't random.)
                              I'm still interested in more information.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X